027: Fondness

Eren awkwardly scratched the back of his head. Mikasa stared at him, her eyes impending a response. He sigh, clearing his throat before he responded.

"I knew that if I told you about my issues that you'd force me to take my medicine." He admitted with a struggle.

"But why? Aren't you supposed to take your medicine?" Mikasa cried.

"I-" he sighed and didn't finish as his voice trailed off.

Mikasa bit her lip before she hesitantly took his hand into hers, turning pink at her own actions. Eren was taken aback, turning pink as well.

"Please, tell me." She pleaded, her voice quite like a whisper. Eren sighed, decided that it'd be best to not keep her in the dark.

"My mother... she died when I was younger. When I was 16 and I first got my license, my mom told me to drive and even though I was scared to because I wasn't experienced that well, she insisted. So I drove her to a restaurant where we were to meet someone but... we got in a," Eren paused and took a deep breath before finishing, "car accident."

Mikasa felt her heart sink as Eren's grip on her hand slightly tightened.

The look in his eyes made it obvious that he blamed himself for this and Mikasa could understand why, but she didn't want this for him.

Because she loved him.

She parted her lips to speak but Eren kept going.

"I woke up in a hospital room the next day and... I got brain damage. Now I have memory loss and if I don't take my medicine I'll eventually forget everything, including my name." He admitted through grit teeth.

"But why did you stop?" Mikasa asked quietly, somewhat relieved that he's able to open up to her but also worried about Eren.

"I want to forget. My father told me that my mother died in the accident and I can't help but think that i-it's all my fault. If maybe I wasn't driving, she would've survived. We were t-boned and if I were the one on the passenger seat, maybe I could've died and my mother would've survived." He turned pale.

"Eren." Mikasa sternly said. Eren looked to her, immediately regretting what he said. "Don't you ever feel like that." She said, her voice cracking.

She wrapped her arms around him and she could feel him... shake.

"I don't want you to suffer through those thoughts." She whispered into his ear as they embraced.

Eren couldn't hold back his tears and finally let the fall, soaking Mikasa's shirt in the process. Mikasa felt her heart break as Eren cried, but she didn't cry with him.

She needs to comfort him first.

Mikasa let go but kept her hands on his shoulders. "My mother died when I was young too. She overdosed on her medicine when I was 6 and my dad passed with crippling depression when I was 7 so I got adopted. But I don't blame myself, and I don't want you to blame yourself. Sometimes I wish that things were different, but I just want you to know that I'm here and you should never feel like that's your fault of that you should be dead." She said.

Eren slowly nodded, taking in shaky breaths as he wiped his tears. Then, he look at Mikasa. "Oh Mikasa, I'm so sorry."

Mikasa shook her head with a weak smile. "It's not your fault, don't apologize. Just like her death wasn't you fault." Mikasa said.

Eren gave Mikasa a lazy smile at her words. Usually whenever people would bring up his mother he'd instantly be put in a bad mood, but the way Mikasa spoke about her was so calming.

Eren smiled.

This is why he loves her.

"Now, I suppose I should tell you something too." Mikasa stated. Eren nodded, his tears finally stopping as he gestured for her to continue.

Mikasa bit her lip, hesitant to respond. But then, she turned around and lifted up her shirt to show Eren her back.

At first Eren grew flustered at her sudden actions as he saw her back bra strap, but when he saw the scar that ran across her back, he instantly grew worried.

"It's a funny story." She said so quietly that even she'd be surprised if Eren heard her.

She turned around faced him again, averting eye contact. "I got this from my mother when I was 14. I uhh... I never wanted to be an actress. My adoptive parents forced me into this showbiz life. One time when I argued against my mother, she got angry and... slashed my back with a broken shard from a wine bottle. Ever since then I haven't been able to argue against her any more." She admitted, also through grit teeth.

"What? Mikasa, you should've reported that!" Eren demanded. Mikasa sighed.

"I did... but, ya'know, statue of limitations. My mother found out that I reported her and she said that if I did it again she won't hesitate to do it again." Mikasa bit her lip. Any harder and she would've drawn blood.

"I-I'm sorry... you probably think that I'm hideous now. You think I'm an idiot, don't you? I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." Mikasa said under her breath, breaking down. Her body began to tremble and Eren took her into his arms again, embracing her.

"I will never think that." He whispered into her hair. Still, Mikasa's sobbing didn't stop.

"Y-You can't guarantee that." Her voice cracked.

"Yes I can." His voice was soothing. Mikasa looked at him.

"How?"

Eren didn't hesitate to respond, "Because I love you."

Mikasa's silence that followed gave Eren an unsettling feeling that immediately made him regret his actions.

'She's getting married, Jeager! Get your act together!' He chided at himself.

"Eren..." Mikasa mused.

"Yeah?" Eren responded, impatiently awaiting a response. Mikasa tried to give him a lazy smile, but her lips just ended up quivering.

"I-I love you too." She dug her face back into his shirt.

"I love you and I'm sorry. I don't want this. I don't want to be an actress anymore. I wished that I had a family that loved me. I don't want to be trapped anymore! I don't want to go through with the arranged marriage anymore!" She cried into his shirt, whimpering.

Eren gently tried to lull her before he asked her what she meant. When he felt as if she were calm enough, Eren spoke up.

"You don't want the arranged marriage?" He asked. She nodded. "Then just say so." He said.

Mikasa stiffened. "Y-You don't understand! I can't tell her... I'm scared! I don't want to get hurt again!" She cried. Eren lulled her again.

"Then I'll do it for you." He said softly.

Mikasa rose a brow. "What?" Her voice was barely a whisper. Eren smiled and stood up, taking her hand into his.

Mikasa stood up with him, following him to the front door of his house.

"Wh-Where are we going?" She asked as Eren opened the door. He smiled as Mikasa stepped outside.
.
.
.
.
.
"We're going to set you free." He said.

vote and comment. thanks :)