Unsettled

I opened my eyes to be facing an empty bed, I could hear Kage talking in the other room, I got up slightly and looked around, I quickly realized I was covered in bandages, meaning Jack did take care of me last night, I saw there were poorly folded clothes sitting on the edge of the bed, I got up and got dressed before I went out to find Jack, I went out to see Kage and Sadie were standing in the kitchen talking to each other, I glanced around slightly but didn't see Jack anywhere, I stepped out and the two of them looked over at me.
"Good morning." Sadie greeted.
"Where's Jack?" I asked.
"Out looking for food." Kage replied, "He asked if we'd watch and feed you when you woke up."
"Okay..." I said quietly as I stepped out.
Sadie pointed at the small table and I went over to it, I sat down as Kage started dishing up some food for me, he brought it over to me and set it down on the table in front of me, I quietly picked up the spoon as Kage went back over to Sadie, the two of them started talking again, there was one thing that was really bothering me, but I was a bit uneasy about asking it, it seemed like Jack was uncomfortable about talking about it, I finally gathered the courage to actually ask.
"Kage...?" I asked quietly.
They both went quiet as they looked over at me.
"Yeah?" Kage asked.
"What's... Thet-tmis?" I asked.
They were both silent as they stared at me, I felt a bit uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from both of them, Sadie looked at Kage.
"It's right if we tell him." She said quietly.
He sighed as he rubbed the back of his head.
"It's like an 18th-century torture prison." Kage explained, "They tend to torture people to get them to reject something about themselves."
I immediately got a sickening feeling.
"Jack spent more time than I'd like to admit there..." Kage said quietly, "After the accident, he became so violent he was admitted to that place to shape him up."
"We're certain that place is what changed him so much." Sadie added, "He became a demon after the hanging, then after Thetmis he lost every good thing about his old personality."
"Not only that but that creep of a doctor has a disturbing fascination with him." Kage was beginning to get angry, "And what I can't believe is that Jack is so willing to subject himself to him!"
Kage began ranting in another language, Sadie looked at me.
"Even though Jack's behavior is tolerable now he still somehow ends up on Dr. Pain's table." She explained, "Whenever he has an over-the-top medical issue he usually goes to pain instead of one of the actual doctors."
She rubbed the back of her neck slightly.
"I don't know what that quack doctor is telling him about himself but he shouldn't be allowing him to just rip him to pieces like that..." She said quietly, "He won't listen to anyone about it either..."
She looked up at me again.
"I'm honestly surprised he didn't try going to see him after he healed enough to walk around after the recent attack." She continued, "Especially since he had half a heart..."
I really didn't like the sound of this Pain guy.
"And Jack's... d-doing it w-willingly...?" I asked.
"From what I know." She said, "If there's any other reason he's doing it then he hasn't told either of us."
She rubbed her arm again as she looked away from me.
"To be completely honest... I expect Pain to come back at any point to reclaim Jack as some sort of test subject for his experiments..." She seemed a bit distant, "I really am scared that we're going to lose him for good this time..."
"Shut u-up, p-please..."
She followed my request, shutting her mouth as she looked at Kage raving in the kitchen, I didn't know what he was shouting about, I looked down at my food quietly before I actually started eating, after a while Kage stopped yelling and I looked back at him, he was standing in the middle of the kitchen looking slightly lost, Sadie got up from her spot and went over to him, she pulled him into a hug.
"It'll be fine." She assured him, "If something happens we're right next door, we can come in an instant to help."
He sighed.
"Yeah, you're right." He agreed, "I need to stop thinking about it."
She let him go and he began heading to the door, he left very quickly, I looked back at Sadie to see she was rubbing her face slightly, maybe it would have been best if I didn't ask about Thetmis, they actually seemed really uncomfortable by that place, I knew I never wanted to go there, I reached up and gently rubbed the patch on my left cheek, I really hoped that Jack was okay wherever he was, I just quietly kept eating, trying to forget about everything I was just told, and I didn't have time to worry about that stuff, there are more important things to be doing, I heard the door open again and Kage laughing, both Sadie and I looked over at him.
"Dude, pheasants are too goddamn funny!" He laughed.
"You saw a pheasant?" Sadie asked, smiling slightly.
"It was so fucking dumb." He continued to laugh, "It ran into the same tree four times!"
Sadie giggled slightly.
"He ran into the tree, back up and ran in a few circles, then ran into the tree again." He cracked up laughing again as soon as he was done talking, "Four times!" He laughed out.
I smiled slightly, it was amazing how quickly he turned around, he seemed angry and upset literally two minutes ago, and now he's standing in the doorway laughing at a dumb bird, his laugh was powerful, too, you could probably hear it through a concrete wall, he was gripping his stomach as he was laughing, Sadie was starting to laugh quite a bit now.
"Was it really that funny?" She asked.
Kage took in a deep breath.
"I wouldn't be laughing as much if it were just that one bird." He was obviously trying not to laugh, "But when another does the same damn thing right after the first you can't contain yourself."
He started laughing more, it was fun to know what could get Kage to laugh, it seems like just about everything could.
He has a better sense of humor than Jack, that's for sure.