(1) Start of something New

Jung Sowon

I was in the convenience store waiting for my friend inha. I sat by the window staring into nothing, my ramyeon was getting cold already. It was a bit gloomy today so i decided to go out instead of moping around in my house.

I saw an old lady with ragged clothes and dirt all over her body. She was carrying a huge bag that was also dirty: her shoes had holes and her hair was a mess. She sat down by the street light.

I looked at my watch, inha was 15 minutes late. I went outside bringing my ramyeon with me.

"Here." I handed the old lady my ramyeon, she gave me the biggest smile.

"What about you?"

"Im fine. Oh right! here you must be thirsty." I handed her the bottle of water.

"You are such a good child." She held my hand. I stoop down to her level.

"Im sorry but i dont have much." I gave her 500 won.

"Oh, no- no its okay." She returned the money.

"Its fine, i just want to help. I feel bad since youre the same age as my grandma please take it." I put the money in the palm of her hands.

"Thank you, you are so nice. Bless you!"

"Its nice talking to you grandma, i would love to stay but im waiting for my friend. Please take care." I stood up.

I hear a dog barking from the other side of the street followed by footsteps, i turn to look and saw it was my best friend running after a dog.

"Inha?"

The dog went running to the old lady.

"Sowon, youre here." She stopped in front of me panting.

"What were you doing?"

"I saw the dog being harassed by some kids so i helped out. I was looking for the owner but when we got to this street he jumped out of my hands and went here." She managed to explain.

I looked at the dog who was now licking the old lady's face.

"I was looking for this rascal, thank you for helping him." The old lady smiled at inha.

Inha is an animal lover, she couldnt handle it if she sees stray dogs or cats. There are times she feeds the ones outside her house. I wouldnt be shock if She ends up broke because of it.

"Youre welcome." She replied to the old lady.

"We'll get going then." We both bowed.

"Wait! Before you do i have something to give you." She rummaged to her big bag and handed us two glittery glass ball.

"Its pretty." I took one.

"Are you sure you want us to have this?" Inha asked.

"Its nothing much but thats all that i can give."

"What is it?" I asked looking at the core of the ball.

"They say it can grant a wish, i dont know if its true though." She chuckled.

"We'll make good use of it. Thank you." Inha and i both said.

Me and inha went to her house instead. She made popcorn and played a movie.

"Were gonna be graduating soon." Inha broke the silence. We were watching high school musical 3, i guessed it reminded her of graduation because of the ending.

"I can already see myself working tirelessly." I replied.

"I can see myself not working." She looked at me and smiled.

"Its amazing that we got this far without distractions."

"Distractions? You mean a boyfriend?" She answered and i nodded. "It is but its also very boring, dont you think?"

"I agree. I think i wont find love when i get a job since ill be working." I pouted.

"That scares me too." We were both gloomy now.

"Hey, the weather is already gloomy lets not match it." I tap her legs.

"Youre right, we should be glad today since we were a good citizen." She chuckled.

"Speaking of which." I took my bag and pulled out the two glass ball.

"Its actually pretty." Inha took hers, it was green with gold and white dust in it, the core of hers were colored yellow. Mine was blue with gold and white dust and the core was colored sky blue. "You should put it somewhere safe, since youre clumsy." She stood up and put hers in beside her vase.

"Yeah, ill be careful with it." I put mine in the bag. "I should get going. Talk to you later." I waved good bye to inha.

I live two blocks from her house so i just walked home. I feed my cat ttalgi, a fat black persian cat.

"Ttalgi, i dont know if youre fat or pregnant,But its impossible youre pregnant when youre single. Unless youre seeing someone behind my back." I stared at the cat suspiciously. "Thats unfair i thought We will both stay single till the right guy comes or the right cat for you." I pinch her tail.

I put the glass ball in my bed side table. Then I scrolled through my youtube and watched a few music videos. I started to play all alone by day6. Oh how i can relate to this song. I stared at them singing, my phone suddenly rang.

Me: yellow.
Inha: whattya doin?
Me: guess.
Inha: i can hear sungjin singing. Youre listening to sad songs again.
Me: i like sad songs.
Inha: dont sleep with a sad heart, go watch stray kids.
Me: okay what will i watch?
Inha: awkward silence i guess, you really like that song.
Me: what about you? What are you watching?
Inha: get cool.

It was silent but we didnt hang up, i can hear from my ear get cool while i was watching awkward silence in my laptop. We always have late night conversation like this.

Inha: i wish bang chan was my boyfriend.
Me: what about jiyoung? Arent you two dating?
Inha: not really, we decided to be friends. I couldnt fall for him no matter how kind he is. But he still eats with me sometimes or take me to school.
Me: i see.
Inha: wouldnt it be sweet if bang chan and i meet in a coffe shop, he'll spill his coffee because of me but instead of getting mad at me he would smile and let it slide since he fell in love with me at first sight.
Me: isnt that cliché, besides that could only happen if he wasnt an idol.
Inha: it could still happen, even idols goes to coffee shops.
Me: okay lets say that happens, you wont be able to see each other often. Lets not forget he's the busiest person in all of them.
Inha: doesnt matter to me, ill understand because i love him.
Me: you talk as if its gonna happen.
Inha: what about you? Who would you wish for?
Me: me? I guess i would want jisung since he really is funny. But im actually attracted to lee know since he's handsome and he has an interesting side that makes me curious.
Inha: so who do you wish for?
Me: i guess if i could wish for someone it'll be lee know. Though he may not be my ideal type, i really am interested in him.
Inha: dont you daydream of how you two will meet?
Me: not really, it'll be impossible. The only way we may actually cross paths if i go to their fan meeting, it wont be even possible if he became attracted to me. Im sure he likes pretty girls or jisung. *i laughed*
Inha: youre right about that, i wonder what it'll be like to date bang chan. I think he'll be sweet.
Me: i dont know about lee know. I guess thats why im curious?
Inha: he can get mysterious...
Me: lets get some sleep.
Inha: i hope our wishes come true.
Me: if that will make you happy then ill wish for it too.
Inha: youre so sweet. Good night!
Me: see you in school.

I closed my laptop and went to bed.

Tomorrow is just another day.