𝟝𝟘

"Are you sure?" Jisung asked Chenle, who nodded, a lump still in his throat. "That soon?"

"I have to take the throne with my father in the state he's in, and my mom dead."

"Chenle?" A voice called, and suddenly Chenle was barrel led into by Donghyuck, who let out a shuddering breath. "It's not true right?"

"It is, that's why I called you."

"This doesn't feel real," Donghyuck sighed. "First Jun then Mom? What did this family do to deserve this?"

"I'm not sure," Chenle said defeatedly. "But the Seeing will be tomorrow, and the bonfire will be the day after. Jeno and Jaemin will be here later in the day for the Seeing, and my coronation will be two days after the fire to provide for the private burial in between. Believe me, I've been in planning all morning. Jun was so much better at this."

"I remember one morning I woke up to Renjun eating five slices of cinnamon toast at once as he looked over business proposals. He'd been up all night and wanted a snack."

"He loved cinnamon toast and milk," Chenle sighed. "He definitely got that from Mom."

"That he did." Jisung and Mark exchanged a look, feeling out of place as Chenle and Donghyuck continued to reminisce about their family.

"So, I see mosquito season came early this year," Jisung said slyly, seeing the reddish marks on Donghyuck's collarbone.

"He was panicking," Mark hissed.

"Jesus Christ he's going to be fucked to high heaven before you're married if that's what you think calms people down."

"Who's to say we haven't already?" Jisung made a disgusted face of horror, and he looked at Donghyuck.

"Hyuck?"

"Yes Sungie?"

"You're a virgin right?" Chenle choked, Donghyuck turned purple, and they heard someone awkwardly clear their throat behind them.

"I think this was the wrong time," Daehwi said awkwardly, the cloaked man next to him nodding. "We just wanted to stop by since we won't be able to make it tomorrow, and Seongwu's prodigy wanted to pay his respects."

"Oh," Chenle said, embarrassed, and stood up, holding out his hand for the man to shake. "I'm Prince Zhong Chenle."

"Niel," the man said shorty, offering his hand for a shake. Chenle vaguely registered there were scarred and calloused, and raised an eyebrow at the grip.

"You're strong."

"I have to be to survive in the Barren Lands," Niel responded gruffly. "May I?"

"Of course," Chenle gestured towards Yongsun's throne, trying not to think too hard that his mom wasn't there anymore to help him. The man gently pulled out a scrap of cloth and placed it on the throne, then bowed to all in attendance.

"Goodbye." Then he walked out. Chenle walked over to the throne, curious as to what the cloth could say. His heart skipped a beat when he saw it was simply a painting of the setting sun, and an old Lelenese proverb beneath it.

"Though the sun may set now, it will rise again tomorrow."

♛♔♛

Jeno watched the fire listlessly, Jaemin people watching next to him. The people were dressed in green and white, the Queen's representative colours, and laughing as they shared drinks.
That's why the man next to Seongwu and Daehwi stood out.

He was heavily cowled in a dark cloak with white silk lining, a bow slung across his back. His pants were brown and worn, patched, in comparison to everyone else wearing their best clothes. His leather boots were scuffed as well, and he sipped his drink cautiously, like he was afraid it held something.

Seongwu kept trying to get him to laugh, but judging from Daehwi's expression, Seongwu was failing, and badly.

"Who's this cowled at a celebration?" Jaemin muttered, and Jeno looked at him, confused.

"Who?"

"Seongwu's friend. He's wearing that heavy cloak and standing next to the fire. He has to be sweltering."

"Maybe he gets cold easily?" Jeno asked, confused as to what Jaemin's sudden fascination with the boy was. "Why are you so curious?"

"He seems familiar," Jaemin mused. "Oh well, it's probably just me feeling the effects of this drink."

"Babe, that's juice."

"And?" Jaemin asked, his eyes straying from the man but being drawn back to him when a particularly boisterous celebratory bumped into him.

Seongwu and Daehwi lunged forwards, grabbing the man and yanking him back, but not before his hood flew up enough Jaemin saw an outline of his face structure.

"Maybe you're right," Jaemin said, shaking his head and closing his eyes. "I think I had too much juice."

"I didn't say that, you did." Jeno refuted, watching as the obviously annoyed cowled man crossed his arms, Daehwi looking worried.

Seongwu gestured towards Jeno and Jaemin, and the cowled man shook his head vigorously. Frowning, Jaemin stood up and walked over to the drink station, finding YangYang.

"I'll pay you fifty barmas to go yank that man's hood off."

YangYang nodded and waited for Jaemin to be back next to Jeno before he approached from behind, yanking the cowl down harshly.

A look of pure surprise came over the man's face, and Jaemin let out the most strangled noise ever. Jeno dropped his drink, catching a glimpse of the almond eyes, heart shaped lips, and small nose.

The hair was brown and pulled half up in a bun, and three piercings adored each ear.
But it was Renjun.

"Renjun!" Jaemin shouted, and that was all it took for Renjun to take off running, his cloak billowing behind him. Jaemin jumped up and raced after the boy, Jeno streaking past Jaemin at a speed he didn't know was possible from the older boy.

Within seconds, Jeno tackled the other male, harshly pinning him to the ground. Without hesitation, Jeno unlatched the cloak and let it fall off, the deep V in the shirt allowing for him to see the scar that only Renjun would have.

"Renjun?" Jeno asked brokenly, and Renjun looked at him, breathing unsteadily as he looked at him, his brown eyes familiar and sad.

"Hi Jeno."

♛♔♛

Fun fact: Renjun never died in all my drafts, but his parents always did.

bUt YoU aLl ChOsE dEsTrOy so I killed him.

And yes, I did laugh at all your sad comments because I knew he wasn't dead.