Drabbles Challenge: Ray Toro x Reader

Prompt 46: "I thought you were dead!"
Warnings
: car crash, minor injuries
Word
count: 1 186

Everything was blurry around you, the lights too bright, the sounds making not sense, and a continuous beeping made your head ache even worse than it already did. People were walking past you as you tried to remember what had happened, or where you were. You curled your fingers at your sides, digging them into soft, rigid material. What was this, a blanket?

You tried turning your head, but immediate pain raced down your neck, and you groaned. Where were you? There were people around, it was bright, you were definitely laying on something soft, it smelled clean, sterile...

You took a deep breath, but the action made your chest hurt, and you whined quietly. Maybe you could attract someone's attention, and ask them what was going on.

But before you had moved, someone approached your bed. A young woman, black hair tied back neatly, wearing blue clothes, bent down towards you.

"Hey there," she greeted you friendly, your eyes finally able to focus on something, namely her face, "how are you feeling?"

"What happened, where am I," you blurted out, trying to sit up, but she quickly placed her hands on your shoulders, and pressed you back down, your head meeting a soft pillow, which you only noticed now.

"Don't move for now, I'll get the doctor," she smiled.

Somehow she had something calming about herself.

"What happened," you repeated.

"You were in a car crash. But don't worry, you're gonna be fine," she answered before turning around, and hurrying away.

Car crash.

You closed your eyes and tried remembering what had happened. You had been on your way to pick up Ray from the studio. You wanted to go out tonight. It was your anniversary. He had booked a table in a restaurant, but he had not wanted to tell you where; it was supposed to be a surprise.

You squeezed your eyes shut tightly, and focused on the last thing you remembered. Traffic light. You had stopped. And when it had turned green, you started driving again. A look to the right side, into the street you were crossing. Car. Shattering glass and crashing metal. Being thrown sideways. Black. And then you had woken up here, in the hospital.

Seconds later a gentle voice made you open your eyes.

"How are you," the woman, dressed in a white doctor's coat asked warmly.

"I'm hurting," you answered, trying to form a smile, but ending up with a grimace.

"Okay, where?"

"Uhm, so far my neck, and when I take a deep breath," you answered, trying to avoid exactly that.

"You've been thrown sideways in the crash, you might have torn the muscles in your neck. Grace," the doctor turned to the nurse who was waiting behind her, "can you try to find a heating pad for them please?"

Grace nodded and hurried off.

"Some of your ribs are bruised, that's why breathing is painful, but we already check you out, and nothing seems to be broken. I'll get Grace to give you some painkillers, if you're alright with that," the woman continued, "Any allergies or intolerances?"

You shook your head.

"None that I know of."

"Good, then we'll find you some meds, and get you to a room as soon as we have one free. Sorry for having you in the corridor, it's a busy night."

You nodded, and the doctor was about to turn away when you remembered the other car.

"Hey, the other driver, have they been injured?"

The doctor smiled at you softly.

"Just a concussion, he damaged you more than himself," she explained. "Oh, and we called your emergency contact, Mr. Ray Toro, I believe his name is? He's on his way."

With that she walked away.

Relieved you closed your eyes. You were glad that the other driver was okay, and that nobody else had been injured. And Ray was on his way, he'd be here soon.

Damn, you really missed him right now. The stress and shock suddenly seemed to break in over you, and hot tears spilled out from under your eyelids. All you wanted was to be with Ray, and to have him hold you.

You were distracted by Grace, who brought you a glass of water and two pills, which you swallowed down, emptying the glass under her surveillance. Then she placed a warm, plastic pillow under your neck, and instructed you to lay down on it. The heat immediately started working its miracle on your aching muscles. She had just stepped away from your bed, when you suddenly heard a familiar voice.

"No, the name is (y/n), they were in an accident, you guys called me!"

You did your best to prop yourself up on your elbows, and spy over your shoulder, making sure to move very slowly. When you spotted the familiar head of brown curls, you quietly called out for Ray, who immediately heard you, and whipped around.

"Thank god," he exhaled, running over to your bed in the hallway.

He came to a stop by your side, bending down, and wrapping his arms around you.

"Oh god, I thought you were dead," he whispered, and you could tell that he was close to crying, "they wouldn't tell me what happened, just that you were in a crash, and I- I was so scared, (y/n)."

Quickly he pressed his lips against yours, desperately seeking confirmation that you really were still alive, and you allowed it to him, even though he was accidently pressing against some of the bruises you felt forming on your ribs. Only when he pulled away, resting his forehead against yours, you decided to mention it.

"Could you try to stay away from my ribs, they hurt," you asked quietly, causing him to jump away immediately.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to- how bad is it," he asked, stepping back closer to you, running his fingers over your face. The touch was comfortably familiar.

"Nothing serious, just a few bruises, but I think they'll want to keep me for the night," you explained.

"There you are!"

Another pair of familiar voices reached your ears, and seconds later Frank, Gerard and Mikey appeared in your field of vision.

"We found a parking place," Mikey announced, "how are you?"

"Alive", you joked.

"Man, you scared us shitless," Frank confessed, and Gerard nodded furiously, "especially this dude."

He softly punched Ray's shoulder.

"Yeah, sorry 'bout that," you mumbled, feeling a little embarrassed that an entire band was now standing at your bedside, a pretty popular band at that.

"Excuse me?" Grace appeared between the men, who immediately jumped out of her way so she was able to do her job, "We've got a free room now. I'll push you over, and then you and your friends can talk in peace."

She smiled softly, and you nodded in agreement as she released the breaks on the hospital bed to wheel you away. Ray was walking next to you, and you smiled, as you felt his hand reaching for yours. Somehow the world never seemed quite as dark when he was around.