Dallon Weekes x Reader - Ice Cream Nights

Requested
Summary:
You can't fall asleep, but luckily Dallon is still up and invites you for some late night ice cream
Word
count: 1 013

You tossed and turned in your bed, trying to find a position that might finally make it possible to fall asleep. But instead you only managed to kick your blanket to the ground. For a moment you wondered if maybe this was the solution, no blanket. It had been terribly warm for days, and even though you had tried so desperately to keep your flat cool, it had finally heated up uncomfortably. For a few moments you lay still, almost thinking you might fall asleep, when outside the sirens of an ambulance jumped on.

With a cry of frustration you sat up. There was no way you would find sleep tonight. Taking a look at the clock you sighed. 1:16am. Your head started hurting if you even thought about how late it was. At least it was the weekend, so you had nowhere to be. Grabbing your mobile, you decided to settle down in the living room on the couch. After having scrolled through social media for a while, you noticed you had received a new message in the messenger app. Reading through the message your aunt, who was currently halfway across the world, sent you, you replied quickly, and just when you wanted to go back to your aimless scrolling, a new message popped up.

Still up?

You were not aware of the grin on your face as you clicked on the bubble, and were lead to the chat, but it was definitely there.

So are you.

Of course it was Dallon who was up just as late as you were. Dallon and you had known each other for years, but just recently you had found out that the feelings you had secretly been harbouring for Dallon were not one-sided, and so far you had been on a couple of dates. Both of you had agreed to take things slow, even though you knew each other so well already. But friendship and romance were different, and it was exciting to get to know him in this entirely new way, where he would openly flirt with you, and then get all embarrassed about it.

Can't sleep. Again.

You nodded to yourself as you typed out your reply.

Neither can I.

It took a couple of moments until he answered.

Too warm? Or is it insomnia?

You grinned a little wider, remembering how Dallon always remembered even the tiniest details of your life. You had only talked about your sleeping problems to him once, and still he had remembered it.

Probably both. What about you?

This time it took longer for him to answer, and when he eventually did, he had sent you an address.

Meet me there asap. Whoever comes last pays for the ice cream.

You did not even think about how it was almost 2am, and how it was a little crazy going for ice cream at that time of night, but you did not care. You just jumped up and quickly threw on some presentable clothes, a little voice in the back of your mind complimenting you that you even looked pretty cute.

Much to your surprise you made it to the 24/7 diner before Dallon. You waited for him outside, curious what he had planned. Luckily you did not have to wait for long, and a couple of minutes later he turned up as well, a wide smile on his face as he spotted you leaning against a lamppost in front of the diner.

"I see I have been beaten," he laughed, and walked over, wrapping you in a hug.

"I have a feeling you let me win," you teased, but he just shrugged.

"I just like to spoil you," he winked, and intertwined his fingers with yours, leading you over to the diner, where he ordered ice cream in cones for both of you.

When you stepped outside again, licking the sweet treat, the air had still barely cooled down, and side by side you walked over to the small park that was down the street. Insects hummed in the night. Frogs were quacking in the pond, which laid hidden in the dark. Bats were chasing moths around the street lamps. Dallon found a bench for you to sit down on, and together you sat in silence until you had finished your ice cream. For a long while after that you just sat and listened to the sounds around you, relaxing in the sleeping city. Hardly anyone was awake this time of night, and even fewer people were outside. Once or twice a car passed by the park, temporarily illuminating the comfortable dark. The frogs continued their concert, and in the distance it sounded like two cats had gotten into a fight with each other.

Dallon had his arm wrapped around you, keeping you warm, when eventually the air had cooled down enough to make you feel a little chilly. At some point Dallon started talking, and you shared your thoughts with each other, mostly staying in the present though, making up stories about what happened inside the houses behind your backs, what shops would probably open up first this morning. You talked about how you were reminded of summer camp by the noise the frogs made, and Dallon told you about that time a sparrow flew into his room and he had to catch it.

Slowly the sky began to brighten again, and the night was almost over. It was only half past four, but the sun slowly began creeping towards the horizon, and when the first beams of light winded through the trees, you got up from your bench in the park. Dallon had had the brilliant idea to go for breakfast in the diner where you had grabbed your ice cream earlier that day, or rather night, and after that you planned on heading home to his place, since that was closer. Maybe you would actually be able to get a wink of sleep then, cuddled against Dallon. But right now you were walking arm in arm down the street of a slowly waking city.