Patrick Stump x Reader - A Little Sweetness Keeps Just out of Reach

Summary: Fall Out Boy is on tour, and together with the other band members you decide to celebrate Patrick's birthday by singing one of his songs for him
Warnings: the scenario is a bit over the top, but I've had this stuck in my head since forever, so I decided to write it.
Word count: 2 452
A/N: Happy Birthday to the cute as a button guy in the middle, Patrick Stump!

"Where is he?"

"Marc's distracting him," Andy told you, hurrying over, and you nodded towards the other two musicians.

"Ready?"

"Let's give him a heart attack," Pete agreed laughing, and Joe nodded too, before you walked back out on the stage together, after a quick break.

You had lost count on how many tours you had shared the stage with the four men of Fall Out Boy, definitely longer than ten years. You were their pianist, usually standing by your keyboard somewhere behind Pete, next to Andy. After all these years most fans had started referring to you as the fifth member of the band, which was not really true, since you were not officially in the band, or writing music with them, but being their touring pianist was enough for you. And tonight would be the first, and hopefully last, time you would stand towards the centre of the stage.

"Okay," you mumbled more to yourself, as you walked up to the mic stand Patrick was usually using. Your keyboard had been pushed over in preparation of what was about to come.

The crowd in front of the stage was applauding and screaming, some even shouted your name, but you had no time for pleasantries. You turned to see if Andy had taken his seat at the drums, and took Patrick's mic.

"Okay, hi, it's me for a change," you quickly introduced yourself, nervous even though you had played this in your head over and over for the past days. "Today's Patrick's birthday, as you all hopefully know-"

The crowd interrupted into cheers once more, but you ignored them; no time.

"He wrote a pretty great song a few years back, which we'd like to play as his birthday present-"

"He's gonna hate us, but we don't care," added Pete, making everyone laugh.

"It's called Spotlight, Oh Nostalgia, and I hope you all know the text, otherwise: mobiles out, google spotlight oh nostalgia lyrics, and sing along," you encouraged, while Andy had started drumming.

Patrick probably had noticed that the rest of his band, including you, had left him backstage by now, and you needed to get the song started before he had the chance to shut you up.

Waiting for the right beat, you started playing as well, joining Andy. Expectantly you looked over to Joe, who was checking with you before he turned to his mic, holding his guitar ready to play, and started to sing the first verse.

You took a step back from your own, or rather Patrick's mic, and joined in as backing vocals in the second line.

It had been your idea, to play something for Patrick's birthday, and you still vividly remembered how excited he had been about this particular song, back when he had published it, so when nobody had had any ideas on what to play, you had simply decided on this one. Patrick had been down lately, and you did not know why. He shut himself of, and became almost as shy as before the band had taken a break. Over the last two years he had gone from the fedora wearing, adorable dork back to the caps and shirts and few additional pounds, the same way you had gotten to know him. But his self-esteem had always been way better. Yet these past weeks... so you had decided to beat him with his own weapon, his own song.

After the second line you took over from Joe, now singing lead vocals. In the beginning you had thought Joe would do all the lead singing until someone eventually would push Patrick out on stage to take over, but Joe, Andy and Pete had all agreed that you should get to do most of the singing, which for the very first time put you in the vulnerable position on the front centre of the stage.