Nicole Row x Reader - Farm Sanctuary

Request: Aw I loved this one! Can you make more Nicole imagines?
Word count: 1 436

It had been your idea to visit the farm sanctuary this weekend. You knew Nicole was totally obsessed with animals, and the shelter that took in farm animals, anything from chicken over pigs to cows, seemed like the perfect place to take her to for your planned date day. The shelter had regular opening hours on weekends, so visitors could come and see the animals, educate themselves, and some animals were even allowed to be petted. When you had scrolled through the shelter's website, and read that last part, you had been absolutely certain about what you wanted to do for this Saturday.

Of course you tried to keep it a secret for as long as possible, trying to surprise Nicole, but she got suspicious when you told her to put on rubber boots, and in the car, when you continued following the signs to the shelter, she finally guessed where you were taking her too.

The weather was grey and broody, only occasionally a ray of sunshine broke through the thick clouds. The parking lot of the shelter was muddy, and getting out of the car you were immediately glad to have put on water proof shoes. The cold autumn air made both of you shiver after the comfortable warmth of the car, so you quickly wrapped yourselves in your jackets and scarves, and walked over to the entrance.

You were welcomed by an elderly lady who smiled at you happily, and offered you a flyer with a map of the property, which you gladly accepted. Other than you only two other families seemed to be around, the youngest kids from both already in the process of making friends over the bunny they had discovered in a cage by the side.

"Where do you wanna go first," you asked Nicole, noticing that she was distracted by the bunny too.

"Oh, seriously, I could just watch that bunny munch on its hay all day long," she confessed, making you laugh.

"Then let's watch the bunny," you agreed, not able to tear your eyes away from your girlfriend.

Even after all this time of being together with her, you still had trouble understanding how easy it was for her to go from the sexy, red lipstick, tight, black dress wearing bassist to this cute, down to earth, green and browns loving girl by your side. If you were honest, you preferred her like this. Of course she had to dress up for going on stage, but that did not stop you from making you feel like it was always some sort of costume, like a wall between herself and her audience.

But now, wrapped in warm jackets, her scarf wrapped around her face so it was almost covering her mouth, her long blonde hair disheveled from the green hat she was wearing, no make-up, just her blonde lashes glowing in rare autumn sun; this was truly her.

"Nooo," she laughed, wrapping her arms around you, "I want to see the other animals to." She pulled the flyer from your hands, and took a look at the map. "If we go this way," she pointed out a route that led past all the different buildings, "we get to see everything, and end up here again. Maybe we can get some hot chocolate in the end."

Excitedly she smiled at you.

"Sounds like a plan," you agreed, taking her hand in yours.

Together you made your way from house to house. The first one had different cows, who curiously stepped to the fence when they saw you approach them. Both of you petted their faces, the soft fur that grew between their eyes, and the warm, slimy, smooth noses. After you had gushed over how adorable they were, you continued on the chickens. A bucket with chicken feed was next to their enclosure, with a sign encouraging the visitors to throw a handful of the mixture into the cage. Of course the chickens already knew what was coming, and within seconds of you and Nicole stepping up to the fence, about a dozen hens had poured out of their warm shelter in the hopes of getting some food from you. Obviously neither of you refused the birds that offer, and amused you watched the animals pick up the corns from the floor.

The next stops were sheep, then pigs and eventually goats. All of the enclosures were allowed to be entered, so the visitors could pet the animals. You had met one of the families while petting the sheep, and their little girl had been fascinated by Nicole's long, blonde hair. Her own tiny, black curls were made into many small braids, which poked out from under her woolly hat. The girl, not older than four, had eventually walked over, and asked Nicole if she was Elsa. It had taken both you and Nicole a moment to realise that she was referring to the Disney character, as her "Frozen" jacket finally gave away. Nicole had laughed, and denied, asking in return if the girl was Anna. She gave Nicole a mysterious look, answering with "maybe", before she turned around, and stormed over to her father, excitedly telling him the woman with the long hair thought she was Anna. Both Nicole and you chuckled to yourselves.

When you reached the goats, finally being alone again after having had a long chat with one of the people who worked here, you were unable to keep your thoughts to yourself any longer.

"Imagine in like, I don't know ten years, this little girl from earlier will look at pictures from the production of Frozen 2, and finds out you're one of the musicians," you laughed, making Nicole grin too.

"Oh yes," she giggled, "like 'mum, remember that lady at the farm shelter who thought I was Anna? She played bass for one song from the movie'."

"I'd die to see that," you nodded, smiling fondly, "what-"

Something had pushed into your side, and only when you looked down, you found it was a huge goat, which had walked up to you, and now pressed its head against your side. It was not aggressive at all, far more reminding you of your dog when it wanted pets, so you raised your hand into the slightly dusty and cold fur of the animal, burying your fingers in it. It was a strange feeling, to reach through the slightly greasy fur, until your fingertips brushed against the skin, the last millimetres of hair above the skin being just as warm as the skin itself.

Nicole smiled fondly at the scene in front of her, and quickly snapped a few pictures with her mobile before two other goats decided they wanted attention too, and walked over, demanding pets from her.

It was well past noon when you finally finished the tour through the farm, and slowly more visitors were pooling in. You decided on some food and the promised hot chocolate in the small restaurant that belonged to the shelter. Inside the walls were made from wood, the tables rough and the chairs cosy. The same lady who had welcomed you to the shelter took your order while you warmed up next to the fire that was crackling in the fire place. Nicole and you talked quietly until your sandwiches arrived, your hands resting on top of the table, your fingers intertwined with each other's.

After you had finished your food, and paid, you took long sips from your warm drinks, watching the fire peacefully.

"It was a really great idea to come here," Nicole smiled and leant over to softly kiss you.

"Thanks, I hoped you'd enjoy it," you confessed, your heart beating harder in your chest when you saw with how much love she was looking at you.

"I did," she agreed, "but now I'm sort of tired."

"Then let's go home," you decided.

Finishing your hot chocolates, you got up and wrapped yourselves in the jackets again. You made sure to leave a generous tip for the lady, and a donation in the donations box by the door, before you strode out of the shelter and over the now filled parking lot. You had your arm wrapped around Nicole, and she was leaning into your side. Once you reached the car, you opened the passenger door for her, and slipped in behind the wheel.

Starting the motor, you turned on the heating and radio, causing both warm air and soft music to flow into the car. By the time you had stirred the car off the parking lot, Nicole was already asleep.