Part 73

"Come in with me," I begged him in the car as he parked outside my apartment building. I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach but was chalking it up to not wanting the night to end.

He chuckled lightly, "I can't, Princess. It's already late, but I'll be here bright and early to retrieve you."

I sighed as I unbuckled my seat belt and pushed the door open. Before I even got a foot out the door he leaned over and turned my face to his.

"I love you, Genevieve," he whispered before kissing me.

I smiled into the kiss, but then he pulled away.

"I love you, Dominic."

"Now, go before I decided that work won't be important tomorrow."

I wiggled my eyebrows, "There's still time."

He pointed his finger at the building, "Go," he chuckled again.

I stuck my tongue out at him and got out before he could pull me back in and punish me.

I raced to the door and turned around to see him smirking. I bit my lip and raised my hand to my lips and blew him a kiss. I watched as he pretended to catch it and put it in his breast pocket before driving off down the road.

I sighed as I watched his car disappear around the corner and finally found the courage to push the door open and walk in. Even though it was late October the days were hot and the nights were cool, almost too cool to be without a jacket like I was.

The building was dimly lit as I walked through it to the elevator. I still couldn't shake the feeling that sat in the pit of my stomach as I ascended to my floor.

When the doors opened, I made my way to my door but saw that it was cracked and immediately froze.

My heart was pounding as I pulled up Dominics' number and pressed the call button.

"Princess, I said I ca--"

"Theres someone in my apartment, Dominic," I whispered. I looked back down the dimly lit hallway and the hair on the back of my neck was standing.

"Are you sure," his voice was stern and I heard horns blaring in the background.

"My door is cracked, Dominic! You know I lock my door even when I'm inside," I whisper-yelled through the phone.

I inched forward to the door. Maybe I had left it open this one time, though. I tried to think back to this morning but couldn't pull up the memory.

"Listen to me very carefully, Genevieve. Do NOT go into your apartment. Run back down to the front of the building. I'll be there in a moment," I could hear the worry in his voice.

"There's no need for that, Dominic. I'm sure I just left it open or something. I'll take a quick peek," I whispered as I inched even closer. I didn't hear anything inside so maybe I was just over-exaggerating.

"Genevieve! Do not go in there!"

"I'm sure there's no one in there. Who would want to rob or hurt me," I whispered back with my fingertips on the door.

"PLEASE, GENEVIEVE! DO AS I SAY JUST THIS ONCE, PLEASE!"

***************

*Dominics POV*

***************

"Dominic," I heard through the phone and my heart sank.

"Where is she," I growled, weaving in and out of traffic trying as fast as I could to get back to her building. I hadn't been far and I could see the road from here.

"Just taking a little nap. Don't bother coming back for her. We'll be gone before you make it back to the building.

I didn't recognize the voice and that alone scared the fuck out of me, "I'm right around the corner. I'll be there before you get the chance to leave. Who are you?"

I heard the voice chuckle and I wanted to squeeze the life from the throat it came from, "We are already out of the building, Dominic, loading her in the car as we speak. And a friend sent us, but don't worry, they told us to keep her safe."

My heart was racing and my stomach was in knots, "Please," I whispered, "Leave the girl. I'll give you anything. Name your price."

"We don't want anything from you that we can't get from the friend who sent us, but so sorry we can't leave her. She is very sweet on the eyes. I could see why you want her so bad."

"I'll find her and then I'll find you," I growled as I slammed the car in park and quickly took the keys from the ignition before I rushed to the stairs, not wanting to wait for the elevator.

"We're already long gone, you're too late. You can try to find us, but I doubt you will. Ciao for now."

The line ended and I let out a deep growl.

Please, let her be there. Please, let this be a prank. Please, for the love of God, let her be there.

Not her, anyone but her.

I slammed the stairwell door open and ran down the hall as I dialed 9-1-1, but as I got closer to her door I saw it was wide open.

I covered my mouth as I walked in. There were signs of a struggle as the tv in the living room was toppled over as well as the vase that sat on the table was in pieces on the floor by the door.

I sank to my knees with the phone to my ear.

"9-1-1, where's the location of your emergency," a mans voice came through the phone.

"My girlfriend's been taken," I said, staring at the dark apartment. If I had only come up with her. If I had only given in and did what she wanted...

"Where are you located, Sir?"

"The Dallas Estates Apartments, third floor, sixth apartment," I stated in a haze.

She's been taken. She was gone. I was too late.

"We have responders close, Sir. They'll be with you in about five minutes. Can you tell me your name?"

"Dominic Blackstone."

The carpet wasn't straight, she had run for the living room, they were probably waiting by the door.

"She must've thrown the vase," I whispered.

"What, Sir? I didn't quite catch that."

"She put up a fight," my voice cracked, "I should've been here."

I closed my eyes and shuddered.

"This isn't your fault, Mr.Blackstone."

"It is. It's my fault. I should've been here."

I should've been here the whole time.

--------------------------------------------------

*I'm not crying, you're crying.*