Chapter Two

IT WAS ODDLY PEACEFUL IN THE CITY THAT DAY. Nova sat on a bench by the water admiring how blue the sky looked, there wasn't a single cloud to be seen. Everything around her seemed quieter. There were no people running around on the streets and no large amounts of traffic. This of course meant to Nova that it was the perfect day to get out of her apartment for some fresh air.

A few streets down things weren't so peaceful. Nick Fury and his team knew something was coming. After all, they had been planning for it. Loki had stolen the Tesseract device and the heroes feared the world was in danger. Thor knew his troubled brother needed to be taken back to Asgard with him before he caused more danger on earth. What he didn't know was that Loki was closer than they thought.

The sky above them began to darken as a black hole slowly emerged from the sky. "He's here," Captain Steve Rogers said pointing to the storm brewing above.

"He brought his army along with him," Tony Stark looked worryingly up to the sky as the Chitauri creatures began to invade the city. "Take as many of them down as you can, Banner will come."

The team began attacking quickly shooting down the flying creatures. The city was doomed. Chitauri littered the streets and smashed into buildings, cars sparked fire, and crowds of people hid for their lives.

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal, our priority's containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash," Captain America demanded as he swung his shield into an oncoming Chitauri. The hero's attention turns to something else as a bolt of lightning descended from the highest building in New York.

Nova Lee heard the explosions before she saw them. A building by her crumbled as she jumped back in fear. She wanted to run but her legs would not move. The sound of gunshots filled her ears and soon her breaths became short and forced. Her eyes wandered to the sky as dark clouds surrounded a large gaping hole, robot-looking creatures emerging from it. But it wasn't the aliens that caught her attention, it was the lightning bolds hitting the water beside her.

Before she had the time to think a broken piece of the building ahead of her fell on the street flying in her direction. She screamed trying to run but was shortly caught by a piece of metal on her right leg. The brunette felt the concrete run against her head as she slid onto the ground.

Nova's eye grew blurry from the impact, but when she saw the ground below her spark with strikes of lightening all her senses came back to her.

"Help!" the girl cried, "someone please." Her voice went unheard as people continued to run away from the city.

All the screams and loud crashes around her began to cloud her head. Loud booms hit her eardrums as she clenched her throat with her free hand trying to get a breath out. Suddenly violent grunting was heard from behind the large sheet of metal. She couldn't see that one of the earth's heroes was fighting off Chitauri beside her. She could only see the sparks of lightning, and feel the power radiating off of him.

The Avenger threw the creature into the scrap of metal with so much force that the girl behind it flew out from underneath. Nova couldn't see as the city around her moved in bright flashes. She took in a breath of air before she was plunged into the river.

Thor saw a splash from the water beside him, he wouldn't have thought anything of it but the sound of a soft yell played in his ears. Instinctively, he set down his hammer Mjolnir and jumped into the water. Explosions could still be seen from below the surface of the water but for a second Thor forgot the war at hand. He arrived at a body in the river. He could make out long brown tangled hair and a tiny pale hand. He didn't hesitate to take that hand and drag it to the surface of the water.

He held the body in his arm as he reached out his other welcoming his hammer to his fingertips. With little force, he used his hammer to pull them from the water.

Captain America arrived at the scene out of breath still holding his shield, "what happened?" he asked stopping for a moment.

Thor placed the body onto the cement as he wiped the hair from her face to feel a pulse on her neck, "She was found in the water, she doesn't seem to be breathing," Thor replied as Steve quickly ran over.

He nudged the God away as he placed his hands on her chest beginning to pump them up and down in a rhythmic pattern. Nova's eyes remained closed as the hero blew air into her mouth.

Thor squinted his eyes setting his hammer back down, "it is not working."

Steve shook his head slightly as he continued to pump. He began to worry that the girl was not going to wake up. Thor moved next to him and knelt back down beside Nova. "Let me try," he muttered quickly replacing Steve's hands with his own.

But instead of beginning to pump her chest he just rested his hands upon her chest lightly. He took in the girl's features as he began to concentrate. Water droplets formed on her pale cheeks. Thor noticed the scrapes present on her head and felt a ping of guilt for the human girl. While he thought, tiny sparks of lightning appeared from his palms and bounced onto her chest. He hoped that he could shock her heart to restart it.

"Come on," Thor whispered in frustration as Steve watched from beside with curiosity.

Within a second, a gasp could be heard from below.

Nova woke up feeling tingles throughout her entire body. It made her jump as her eyes shot open. What she didn't expect was to see two men sitting before her. One of them had a large shield with America's colors presented on it. The other man was on the ground beside her. His arm held her back up as she stared at him widely. His long blonde hair dripped onto his face. His unique features came as a surprise to Nova, he didn't even look like he belonged there.

Nova Lee grew fearful as she realized who stood in front of her.

"I am Thor, God of Thunder," the God said with a deep accent, "what do they call you?"