Chapter Six

"CAN YOU TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF? Tell us about your family, just to see what you remember."

Nova Lee sat on Tony Stark's couch with her leg propped up on the coffee table. She had a mug of tea in her hands that kept her fingers warm. She tried to fill in pieces that her mind had forgotten but she couldn't seem to understand how she had gotten there.

"Well, I was raised as an only child. My mother took care of me in New York because my father was never in the picture. She died a year ago, so I got an apartment and have been living on my own since then."

Tony sighed loudly looking back at Nova. "No other family?" She shook her head playing with the handle of the mug on her lap, "my mother didn't stay in touch with them, she was never welcomed by her family because she decided to raise me on her own at such a young age. It was just the two of us," she said quietly.

Tony sighed loudly running his hand over his chin in thought. "You're not making this easy Statman."

Nova bottled up the emotions she was feeling at that moment. She had no family to go to and no one to reassure her that she was safe. Her mind was a puzzle with pieces that didn't go together.

"I don't expect you to open your home up to a stranger," Nova Lee whispered trying to picture her apartment back home.

If she could just keep her mind busy maybe she wouldn't be so afraid. She remembered the distinct details of her mother's face. Large brown eyes, soft features, and a nurturing voice. Her mother would tell her that fear clouded judgment. If she just turned her fear into curiosity she could keep her mind clear.

As if the man read her thoughts he replied, "you're safest here Nova."

And for a moment she believed him.

••••

Nova woke up remembering something. Her mind played pictures in her head that gave her the answer. Her footsteps were quiet as she limped out of the extra room into the large kitchen. She took her time walking slowly to the window in the kitchen revealing the city below her. The city that was once her home.

She could make out certain buildings in the dark that used to stand so tall. They were now just pieces of metal and brick littering the street. She knew that there was no way her apartment could withstand this destruction. Nova realized something that was buried inside her mind waiting to be let go. She didn't have a place here in New York anymore.

"You shouldn't be walking on that leg you know," A voice spoke to her from behind. She could hear the fridge door being shut and footsteps slowly walking up to her.

She shifted her body slightly toward the voice, taking in the man in front of her. She finally saw him for who he was. She finally understood why these people had kept her here. She knew why this place was so big with so much technology absorbing it.

"I know who you are now," Nova whispered slowly raising her hand out for him to shake. "Tony Stark," he replied taking her hand firmly. "Nice to meet you."

——

Sorry, this chapter is so short but I will update another right after this. Please leave your thoughts in the comments and make sure to vote! I am also planning on uploading a Bucky Barnes fanfic soon so if you're interested in that follow my account 💛