Chapter Forty-Nine

Thor

The two brothers stood back letting Nova take in the scene around her. She sat stiffly on a fallen log staring at the crumbled structure of the old library. Thor kept a watchful eye on her dark curls in fear she may slip away again. Thor expected the girl to be frail after an attempt on her life, but instead she sat radiate.

The battle ended in blood, but the dark elves eventually retreated having no success in taking control of the palace. However the king's health was crippling slowly. With Asgard in shambles and Odin in critical condition, Thor feared the future of his home. But with his brother by his side and the girl's glowing presence, there seemed to be hope.

"She is not the weak mortal I was thought her to be," Loki muttered with crossed arms and a sideways glance at Thor.

"The girl was never weak, you were just blind."

Loki smiled lightheartedly, "as are you for expecting her to sit back and watch you fight."

Thor held his temper knowing Loki was just trying to get a rise out of him.

"I fear you still underestimate her brother," Loki said with a sudden serious tone in his voice.

Thor looked to him half expecting a shining grin to slide onto his lips. Instead Loki remained stagnant.

The god of thunder was thoughtful for a moment, wondering if Loki was true after all. He hadn't been there for all her scheming and all her discoveries. He was utterly blind to her feeling. And for that Thor was remorseful. The girl didn't need anyone to confide in. She was powerful all on her own.

"I'm afraid I do," Thor said quietly after a while.

The god let out a exhausted sigh, watching Nova pick the grass beside her. Just a week before she laid lifeless in his arms. Thor had never felt such great loss before. He mourned for her, fearing he would never see her coffee colored eyes again. But her heart continued to beat, and soon her wound began the quick process of healing itself. He was unsettled watching the humans skin suddenly grow over.

Frigga however kept a close eye, she didn't say much on the matter but Thor could sense she knew exactly what was to happen. Thor went to ask why, but his mother simply shook her head.

Open your eyes my dear son, she said, there are things in this universe you may never understand.

Thor knew he gifted Nova something in the streets of New York. He could feel it. He just didn't know what. Perhaps that is why he was drawn to her the entire time. He felt the connection of thunder in her veins. The electricity that was so familiar to him.

How will she live? Thor asked his mother when Loki was away.

You have feared her life from the start, now you may live freely knowing she will be by your side for much longer than intended.

Thor didn't believe Frigga's words at the time but it began to make sense. Perhaps when Thor placed his hands upon the girls chest, her heart had already stopped. Perhaps the lightning didn't hurt her at all, maybe it restarted her heart. Maybe it even restarted her mortal life. He knew her human skin would never survive a spear to the chest, but there she sat right in front of his eyes.

Nova Lee wasn't human. And perhaps that was proof enough that some loves last longer than a lifetime.

"Brother?" Loki asked after a while of silence.

Thor missed the sound of his brothers kindness. For it was always short lived. But now he felt Loki was engulfed it in. Maybe Nova was capable of the impossible. One being, keeping the God of Mischief on his toes.

"What will you do about father?"

Thor nudged his shoulder against Loki's in a simple gesture, "we will do what father would have wanted, we will rule."

Loki jolted his head quickly to Thor as if in a state of shock. The god of thunder refrained from letting a smile play to his lips. Instead he continued to look ahead smug with his ideas.

"Of course you could not expect me to protect and rule Asgard alone. I wish to have my brother by my side," Thor said with pride.

The two smiled at each other for the first time in forever. Thor forgot how it felt to be at peace with his brother.

Nova stood from in front of them and slowly made her way over the grassy hill to arrive at their side. She was still slow on her toes, but her wound was healing nicely.

Thor tucked a strand of her chocolate locks away from her face peering down at her large frown.

"We have to do something about this," she stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

Both brothers crinkled their eyebrows at her, Thor concerned with her cross nature.

"With what my dear?"

Nova Lee turned and pointed to the destroyed library and the shriveled bushes that once surrounded it.

"This," she said growing more upset, "we have to fix that. Plant some new trees and flowers for godsake. This place is beginning to look like a cemetery."

Loki looked to Thor with a knowing smile on his face. There was a hidden word on his tongue that Thor understood perfectly.

Queen.

Thor instead smiled sweetly down at the troubled girl taking her hand into his arm leading her away from the destroyed building. Loki trailed behind chuckling quietly.

"Of course, whatever flowers your heart desires. We will plant them all."

———

send your comments if you've made it this far🤍