Chapter Fifteen

Thor:

AFTER HOURS OF THROWING MJOLNIR AT EVERYTHING IN THOR'S PATH, THE RAMPAGE FINALLY STOPPED. The god blamed Tony for the girl leaving, after all he did tell the team the next morning that he sent her away. Thor gripped the note Nova left in his palm, once in a while he would concentrate on her name scribbled out in cursive on the bottom. Just like everything else about the mortal, Nova Lee's perfect handwriting matched. So simple but so beautiful Thor thought.

Most of all he was disappointed in his inability to protect the girl. He felt it was his duty to fix what damage had been done to her life. But he realized no matter what he did, he would never belong in her world. Her purity did not match Thor's careless nature. In the end he feared he would have only done her more harm.

As Thor sat with his head in his hands, Steve Rogers approached cautiously with pity in his eyes. 

"I know how much you cared for her," he started as he took a seat next to the god, "we all did. But it was never fair of us to drag her into our mess. We did all we could for her and now she's safe."

Thor thought about his words understanding what he meant. The girl would be safer without him.

••••

Six Months Later...

For months, Thor kept having reoccurring dreams. Each one always involved the familiar brunette that he felt he could not save. Most of the dreams were happy, he would be back on Asgard laying in his chambers in bed with sun streaming through the large windows, hitting the white pillars on the way in. In each dream, he would wake with Nova's body in his arms. Her curly locks would fall all around her face as he tucked them away brushing her freckled skin all the while. She would peak open her eyes letting the sunlight hit her brown eyes, revealing their beautiful gold specks.

"Goodmorning", She would mumble shifting closer into his chest. He would chuckle at her sleepy nature continuing to play with her curls. Thor spent the remaining time in these dreams trying to memorize each detail of her face. Each freckle, the contours of her face, the light flutter of her eyelashes, he made sure to remember it all. Because when he woke up that's all he had left. The memory of her skin from his dreams.

Thor wondered what the purpose of these dreams were. Why did his mind refuse to let him forget what he had lost? After all this time he knew she would not return. Why run back to the chaos when you could remain safely away, with a normal life. After all the god knew all Nova wanted was a peaceful quiet life. And he was sure that was what she was getting in Dallas.

That night when he closed his eyes, he expected to see the sweet girl in his dreams. He awaited the bliss of seeing her happy in his arms. But something different occurred, something darker.

Thor's armor coated his body as he took in his surrounding. Wherever he was, everything was destroyed around him. Buildings were tumbling, houses were on fire. Yet despite all the destruction, not a single sound could be heard. The quiet worried him as he began to walk, stepping on the crumbled city beneath him. Did he do this? Where were the rest of the Avengers?

Suddenly he heard a scream, it pierced through the silence as he quickly ran trying to find the voice. He ran through a burning building when he finally found the body. Her body.

"Thor!" she yelled trying to reach her hand out to him.

He immediately fell to the ground staring at the sight before him. Blood covering the body, her delicate lip cut open, her eyes glowed green. This shocked Thor for a moment as he tried to remember the warmth of her brown ones. This wasn't the only thing that shook him to the core. The scar on her chest also shined the same bright green.

Nova Lee began coughing blood from the ground below him as he cradled her head, "Nova please, please look at me!"

Her eyes began shutting as Thor wiped the blood from her lips. He tried to find an obvious wound on her bloody body but nothing could be found. His attempts were desperate as he tried to wipe the thick coat of blood away.

"You did this," she cried tears falling from her glowing eyes.

"What?" Thor asked his voice cracking in the process.

"Yo-you can't save me," she muttered glaring at the god, "you nev-er could."

Thor felt his eyes welling with tears as her body slowly turned to ash disappearing before his eyes.

"NO!" he screamed slamming his fist in the ground where her body once was, "no."

Kneeling in the ruble with his head in his hands, something caught his attention. He spotted a figure among the shadows dressed in all black. He glowed green, similar to Nova's eyes and scar. Beneath Thor's tears, he could see the smirk present on the man's face before he disappeared.

Loki.

———

What do you think of Thor's dream?