Chapter Twenty-Five

Thor:

THOR HARDLY RECOGNIZED THE GIRL IN FRONT OF HIM. Her clothes stuck tightly to her skin, coated in rain and wet mud. Thor could tell she had spent long hours in these conditions as she shivered slightly in Loki's grasp. Her face was dirty, her normally vibrant brown eyes were dull and tired. She did not struggle under his brothers hold, as if she felt no fear in the action.

"What have you done brother?" Thor finally asked glancing angrily at the cuts scattering her body.

Loki refused to take his eyes off Thor as Natasha and Steve cautiously attempted to stop the humans under mind control.

"I am trying to open your eyes Thor. Show you how it feels to want something so badly but have it so far away from your grasp. How does it feel to let her down? You know you cannot save her."

The words from his dreams echoed in his mind as he looked to Loki. It was all just illusions he created in Thor's head, he wanted him to believe he would fail.

"If not me than who else? She is human remember? As fragile as fine glass, with the lifespan of a parrot. How could you possibly think you could live blissfully with her? She fears you brother. The noise and chaos you bring are her worst nightmares."

Thor was then on his knees in defeat. Bowing down to his tormented brother as he held onto the one thing he loved. He was right, he knew what he was capable of sprouted fear within Nova.

"I do not care what she thinks of me, all I ask for is you return her to me unharmed."

Loki laughed at his brothers desperate actions, "Oh brother, such a terrible liar."

By now the girl dangled against his chest as he held an arm against her neck, shifting the knife in front of her heart. Thor let tears escape his baby blues from his knelt position on the floor. If this were anyone else, they would already be dead. But this was Thor's brother. The one he played with as a child, the one he grew with, the one he loved. He knew he was the only one who could bring him back to his senses.

"I beg of you, you can have anything Loki, take the throne of Asgard. Or I will let you walk away here and you can be free of Asgard forever. Just please, return the girl to me."

Loki's smile turned wicked as he held Nova against his chest.

"Love," he says slowly letting a sick laugh escape his lips, "makes even a god like you so pathetically weak."

With that he pulled the knife from his hands and thrusted it into the girls chest. Thor heard her screams as her face became pale. His yells followed, as he immediately got up to his feet rushing to the girls body. Nova fell into his arms with the knife still pressed into her heart. Her lightning mark began turning an ash black as her heartbeat slowed down.

"You cannot die," Thor whispered through tears as he wiped the dirt from her freckled stained cheeks.

She looked to him with emptiness in her brown eyes. Her lips parted as she took in a shaky breath. For a moment Thor felt his heart breaking from inside his chest. As he held her body close he began to notice it fading, her fingers turned to dust as the rest of her diminished leaving Thor on his knees in front of his brother once again.

With tears in his eyes he stood towering over Loki in pure rage. He began to realize it was an illusion. Another one of Loki's tricks to mess with his mind. A way of showing Thor just how weak he really was.

"What have you done with her," Thor yelled throwing Loki out the side of the dome. He crashed out the white tarp being met with the blinding sun and Captain American. Cap grabbed Loki forcefully holding his arms behind his back as Natasha pointed a gun to his head.

"Please give me a reason to shoot," Nat threatened as Loki stared to Thor with daring eyes.

"Where is she Loki. She's coming back with us one way or another," Rogers stated pulling his arms tighter behind his back.

Just as Captain Rogers spoke Iron Man flew down from the sky with Nova's body in his arms. Thor knew she was alive but he still worried why she remained asleep.

"I found her in the dirt a few feet away from the site," Tony stated as his feet hit the ground. For once Starks sarcastic nature had vanished. He kept his eyes on Loki as he continued to hold the girl, "Let's get her home."

"First I must deal with my brother."

Loki's smile fell from his lips as he looked to Thor with pleading eyes. He knew his brother would never forgive him. What he had done this time had crossed the line, even a caring man like his brother wouldn't allow this. Thor refused to look at the God of Mischief as he called upon Heimdall to send down his most trusted warriors to collect Loki.

Although Thor knew he had to return home soon, he couldn't bare to leave Nova just yet. A bright light shined down from the sky to revealed Sif and Fandral. Thor smiled slightly to his dear friends letting them take Loki from Captain America's hand.

Sif came up to Thor setting a gentle hand on his shoulder, "You must return home, you cannot avoid your family forever."

He looked to his most trusted friend with sad eyes as he focused his attention back on Nova.

"I believe it is my duty to stay here for a while, protect the earth with its mightiest heroes. I shall return to Asgard when the time is right, you have my word."

Thor nodded his friends away as he gave one last look to his brother. Guilt crossed Loki's face as he stared widely at Thor. For a moment it reminded the god of their childhood when Loki was small and innocent. But this thought quickly left Thor's mind as he looked back to the woman laying helplessly in Tony's arms.

"I hope Odin grants you with what you deserve."

———

I love reading all the comments 💜 I hope this chapter had enough action for y'all