Chapter Twenty-One

[Note: I do not condone drinking and driving in any way, it was simply added for the purpose of the plot. happy reading :))]

Nova:

NOVA'S MIND WAS BLANK ON THE DRIVE HOME. Her body and mind were exhausted leaving her unable to think rationally at all. Her heart felt numb lacking the familiar warmth she felt when Thor was around. She shook her head at the thought of him, growing angry with herself. Nova felt pathetic. Why waste more time thinking about him when she knew it would never be. After all he was a god.

But her curiosity about him never seemed to slip her mind. What if that scar on her chest meant something more? What if he saved her life for a reason? The storm continued to drown out Nova Lee's thoughts as she failed to focus at one thing at a time. She knew it was a terrible decision to drive home tipsy in a storm but the thought of sitting still for a moment to think terrified her. So she kept driving.

The phone ringing caught her attention for a moment as she hesitated to take her eyes off the road. She reached over to the passengers seat quickly glancing at the caller.

Tony Stark

Her eyes widened in confusion. Tony knew better than anyone that she needed a fresh start away from New York, and away from them. Why would he risk calling her? He surely wouldn't be calling to check up on her. An uneasy feeling settled in Nova's chest as she let the phone keep ringing. He let her go that night, and it was time she let them go.

She squinted her eyes back on the road as the storm worsened, the brunette thought about pulling over but it was already dark and she was still miles from home. The highway was oddly empty, making it easier for her to drive a bit slower. Nova flickered her brights on and off in hopes of making the road any clearer but nothing helped.

For a moment she saw something. She worried that her state was causing her to see things but as she drove closer she recognized it. A man standing directly in the middle of the highway. And before she could think she was already slamming on her brakes. Nova Lee's chest slammed into the wheel as her car failed to slow down. She quickly jolted her wheel to the side in a desperate attempt to avoid hitting the figure.

She didn't realize her mistake until it was too late. It felt like the world stopped, as glass from her windshield shattered in front of her eyes. Then the airbag, hitting her chest with so much force that for a second she couldn't even breathe. By the time her car stopped moving, it was completely flipped with her underneath gasping for air.

Blood rushed to her head as she dangled there bound by her seatbelt struggling to stay awake. She ignored her dazed state as she thrashed around trying to relieve herself from the pressure underneath. She was finally able to pull herself out of her seatbelt but with her door smashed in she knew it was no use. Her eyes began to fog over as she moved her shaky hand around trying to find her phone.

Nova felt like the air was stolen from her lungs as she felt a hand roughly grab her arm pulling her out of the car from the broken window. But the girl hardly felt the sharp edges tugging at her skin as blackness overtook her vision. She couldn't yell when the figure threw her body over his hard shoulder. She let out a wheezy breath as she went limp.

When the rain finally stopped, it was pitch black outside. The highway was completely abandoned. All that could be heard was Nova Lee's phone laying in the grass beside her upturned car. The phone ran loudly through the night.

Tony Stark.