Chapter Twenty-Nine

THOR LET THE GIRL SLEEP SOUNDLY ON HIS CHEST. He knew something was wrong, the mark on her chest looked an awful red. Her breathing was short and delayed. And although nothing had happened yet, he feared things would take a turn for the worst. The kind of problems she was facing were unknown to Thor, and if they weren't clear to him they surely wouldn't be clear to the humans. He knew where answers would be found, but he wasn't sure if she would like it.

When the sun finally rose, Nova Lee still showed no signs of getting up. He took this time to look at the peaceful girl in his arms, wondering how such a beautiful creature came to be. The god brushed his finger tips over her skin curious of how it felt. Thor always seemed to have the urge to keep one hand on Nova at all times, as if she would vanish if he let go. He let his hand wander over to her lips, brushing his large index finger over them cautiously.

Never had the God of Thunder been so taken by a girl before. He wished he could keep her safely tucked away in his arms forever.

"I am strong, because of you," He whispered gently before setting her into the bed. He left quietly giving her a longing glance before shutting the door.

"Is something wrong?" Steve asked from the kitchen when he saw Thor approaching.

"I think we must return to Asgard."

Tony came toward the god with confusion written on his features, "what do you mean we?"

With Natasha and May still asleep there were no women to dissolve the tension building in the room.

"When I shocked Lady Nova back to life, I assumed she would heal and there were only be a tiny scar left to retell the story. But something isn't quite right. She tells me that her chest burns, the scar is red, and she struggles to breathe. This cannot be a normal reaction, it is something I've never witnessed before... something unearthly."

Tony shook his head pointing his finger to the buff blonde in angry, "We will take her back to the tower. Bruce can take a look at her. She's safest there, I have the worlds most advanced technology and-"

"Tony," Steve interrupted placing a firm hand on his shoulder before continuing, "No normal person could be saved by a shock of lightning, it's actually supposed to do the opposite. If there is something wrong with Nova it is a force beyond our knowledge. I think he's right, it might be best if she goes with him."

Thor hadn't exactly thought the idea through. But thinking things through wasn't in his nature. No humans were meant to be in Asgard, surely his father would lose his mind over the runaway king returning with a mortal. But his determination outweighed his concerns. Thor needed to ensure she would be safe and the best way to do that was to keep her at his side.

Thor's thoughts were disturbed as the small blonde entered the room, "Taking her where?" May asked crossing her arms at the men.

"Lady of the house, I assure you-"

"My name is May, now tell me where you plan on taking her."

Thor looked the Steve and Tony for help but both turned away unsatisfied with the idea.

"I'm afraid Nova is no longer safe here. If I take her back to my home in Asgard I can provide her safety."

"Asgard? How the hell am I supposed to know that she will be safe there?"

"Because I will be there. And I swear on my gods I will never allow harm to come to the girl."

"That's it? I'm supposed to accept your pathetic promise and let you take my best friend away to another Planet!?" May yelled back poking his chest roughly with her pointer finger.

"Another Realm actually-"

"You're out of your mind! You were the one that gave her the damn problems in the first place!"

"I saved her. I could not just leave her to die."

"So that's what you call it? Saving her? If it weren't for you she'd still be in New York living a normal life with a normal guy. One that wouldn't put her life at risk."

"But would the girl be happy? Could you prove to me that if I left her here she would be happy and safe?"

"Enough," a frail voice spoke out. All eyes turned to see Nova Lee holding her body up in the doorway, light wheezes coming from her lips. Her eyes were teary as if she had heard the whole conversation.

Thor immediately ran over to her holding her body up against his and rubbing her back as she began coughing into his shirt. When the coughing didn't ease down Thor looked up to May with pleading eyes.

"She is unwell," he said as Nova closed her eyes and fell into his chest, "please let me take her."

May's eyes filled slightly with tears as she looked down at her old friend. She knew the god was right, Nova would never be happy in a simple life like there's. She ran over to hug her friend tightly, wiping the cold sweat off her forehead.

"I swear to god you better take care of her. She doesn't deserve anymore pain in her life you got it?"

Thor smiled at the two taking Nova back into his arms. By then she was too out of it to recognize the situation. Tony walked over with his lips pressed together in a fine line.

"If something goes wrong you take her back to me, understood?" He demanded waiting for Thor's affirmed nod.

Tony rubbed her arm slightly giving a weak smile before turning away, "well I guess it's time we all head back home."

•••

Nova woke up in a feverish sweat. Her limps felt heavy and her lungs ached making it hard for her to swallow. She could hardly remember anything, the last moment she recalled was falling asleep in Thor's arms. When she peeled her eyes open she was surprised to see she was no longer in her bed. She was in another bed, one much grander, much too lavish to belong to earth.

The golden walls and strong white pillars answered her burning question. Her wide eyes met with Thor's baby blues. As if he knew Nova Lee was beginning to panic he came to her side quickly kneeling beside the bed.

"Where the hell am I!?" She said her voice hardly auditable above the soreness in her chest.

The God of Thunder gave her a wide smile tucking a strand of her dark locks behind her ear.

"Welcome to Asgard."

————

End of Part Two