Chapter Forty-Five

THOR COULDN'T FIND NOVA ANYWHERE. He searched frantically asking every Asgardian if they had seen the freckled girl. He hoped his quick temper hadn't caused her to flee. In the mists of his searching, he stumbled upon his mother. He could tell Frigga's nature was off. 

"Have you seen the girl mother?" he asked noticing the slight panic in her eyes.

"I'm afraid not dear, but you best find her soon."

Thor knew Frigga could see things others could not. If darkness was approaching she would be the first to know. His mothers worried blue eyes were a cause for alarm in Thor's head.

If something were to happen he needed the brunette safe at his side. The god would tear apart the whole kingdom to find her.

•••

Nova

Nova Lee never liked the color red. The crimson tone reminded her too vividly of the sight of blood. The bold pigment was hard to miss. Especially when it caked the walls of the white palace. She knew if the dark elves came that's all she would see. A blood bath.

"Nova?" Loki repeated again as they hid in a storage room beside the grand kitchen.

The girl shook her head looking back at the anxious faces of Loki and Dalla.

"What's your great plan?" he asked.

Nova Lee needed to focus, all would end in blood if she couldn't collect her thoughts for the time being.

"Dalla, you said your brother was involved in the prison guard. Where is he now?"

The blonde looked fearless next to Nova, and for a moment the freckled girl wished she could feel like that too.

Dalla nodded pursing her lips together, "Adler is apart of the royals first hand guards, he should be beside the king at all times."

Nova Lee practically let out a sigh of relief at the girls words, "Perfect, I want you to give him a warning. We need the guards on high alert especially if they are targeting Odin. Can you do that Dalla?" she asked desperately.

The young girl bowed slightly with a determined nod, "You have my word."

When Dalla snuck out the door, she left Nova and Loki together in the faded light of the closet. The brunette was faced with a problem, she couldn't send Loki out into the palace without being seen. He would need a disguise.

Nova could feel his gaze among her. She knew he had questions about what he had seen in the prisons. About what she had done. But Nova refused to allow the thoughts to violate her already cloudy mind.

"I'm fine," she said aloud as if to answer his unspoken question, "I'll be even better if we can stop the intruders from killing your family."

Loki let out a sigh, "why save Odin when he wants nothing to do with you girl?"

Nova searched around the closet before coming up with some old cloth and string.

"Same reason I saved your ass," she said in a snarky tone as she tugged at the string, "pure stupidity."

Loki let a smile come across his lips as she tied his dark hair back. Nova placed the cloth along his hair line before tying it snuggly.

"I don't believe that," he muttered, "I have come to see that your actions are always driven around one thing."

Nova raised an eyebrow at him tucking the remaining hairs behind his makeshift hood.

"Thor."

She let her hands drop back to her side in a sort of defeat.

"Thor saved both our asses back on earth, we both could've been dead.. but we aren't. Don't you think it's our turn to be the good ones?"

Loki grinned mischievously which Nova came to know was a sign of uncertainty in him.

"There are no good ones dear Nova."

Loki's eyes held a pained look, it tugged on Nova's heart strings. She had begun to admire her new found friend, no matter how much trouble he brought her.

"If not good, then better. We can always be better than we were yesterday."

They both smiled warmly at each other before Nova gave him a little push.

"Alright Loki, you're the only element of surprise we really have here. The traitors believed you were still locked up and won't be expecting you to defend Odin. You should go to the front gates, lay low until you see any suspicious activity. I suspect you will do a fine job of holding them off until the guard arrives," Nova paused to meet his eyes, they were unreadable.

"What do you think?" she asked.

His cat like smile struck Nova with amusement, "I think you'd make a lovely queen. You're already bossing people around."

The girl chuckled shoving him to the door, "enough, you better go now while we still have time."

He put his hand on the handle of the door turning slightly back to the brunette, "And what will you do?"

"I'll try not to get myself killed."