Chapter Seven

NOVA STAYED AWAKE THE REST OF THE NIGHT. Tony sat by her in the dark taking swings out of a copper mug. Sometimes they'd sit in silence and say nothing but Nova enjoyed the company. She knew if she let her mind rest it would just leave her more confused.

"It's hard to believe that people who look so human have abilities greater than any force on the earth," Nova stated trying not to move her wrapped-up thigh. "It's hard not to feel powerless when you're next to one of the greatest 'heroes' of all time. I guess that's why I felt so on edge about your team. Because whenever you go danger follows, isn't that right?"

Stark nodded thinking carefully about her words, "You know, I am human. I feel the same things as you...greed, anger, betrayal. In the end don't we all want the same thing?" Nova pointed to the piece of metal placed on the center of his chest, "you feel power, and that alters human reactions. You're powerful, you all are. And that power makes you fearless, that's something we civilians are not capable of."

Tony stood up pouring another drink into his cup, "want some?" He asked. Nova Lee shook her head slightly letting a yawn escape her lips.

"So why do you do it? Do you do it for the people or do you do it because it makes you feel like a good person?" The girls asked as Tony let out a snicker. She smiled back, beginning to understand the hero.

"You don't seem too upset about your home," Stark stated trying to sound as soft as possible. Nova shrugged in response looking back out the window, "If I'm being honest, I need to get out of here. I've just felt so stuck like I couldn't leave without closure. After my mother died, everything got louder and the city didn't look beautiful in my eyes anymore."

She paused for a second to think, "the only problem is, I have nowhere to go."

"Well guess I'll be seeing you around here more often than I'd like," Tony responded getting up from his place on the couch. Nova smiled knowing the hidden intention behind his words.

"Goodnight Tony."

"To answer your question, I definitely do it for the free stuff I get when I go out."

Tony left the girl in the dark as he walked back to his room. He could tell she remembered details of the events that took place the day before, but something seemed to slip her mind. She had no clue how she got injured, in her mind, she had never even met the Blonde God. Tony decided it would be best to leave that part out. After all, she was just beginning to relax. For all, he knew Thor wouldn't even come back.

~~~

Nova Lee stayed at the Stark Tower with the other avengers for days. She didn't know what she was waiting for or why she hadn't made a move to leave. But in Nova's mind, she had no place to go, and even if she did she wouldn't make it very far until her leg was healed. She did enjoy being around the superheroes, they kept her mind occupied.

That night they all sat together talking about their pasts. However, Nova stayed quieter than usual. There was rain in the city, enough to ensure that all the fires from destruction were put out. Their words were tuned out as she heard a loud crack from the sky above. Her body jolted as the goosebumps formed on her arms.

"You alright Nova?" Steve asked resting his arm behind her head on the couch in a reassuring manner. The brunette nodded swallowing quickly, "Yeah, I just don't like storms. So loud," she said quietly.

"I think I'm going to head to bed anyways," Nova decided beginning to put all her weight on her good leg to stand. "Here let me help," Natasha said coming up behind Nova and putting an arm around her side.

The girl had never had many encounters with Natasha. She was however intrigued about her story. In Nova's eyes, she was so powerful for being able to fight anybody off with just her hands.

"So..." Natasha stated on the way back to her room, "What's your life like? Well, you know before all of this."

Nova was surprised by her question. She seemed so serious from the outside, but Nova realized that the red-haired woman probably didn't ever get to talk to another girl about normal things.

"Well, I wish I could say that my life is one big adventure, but truthfully it was the same thing every day. But never in my life have I thought about changing it all. I mean I grew up here, it's where my mom and I were comfortable and content. But thinking about what would make me happy has never really crossed my mind. I like familiarity I suppose," Nova responded looking to Natasha, "Sorry I'm rambling."

Natasha let a laugh escape her lips revealing a small smile, "So no tragic love story? Normally that would fall into place somewhere."

The two girls smiled at each other as they made it back to Nova's room. She helped her sit on the edge of her bed before slowly taking the place next to her.

"Not the kinda love that would keep me up at night, just stupid college flings I guess," Nova responded tucking a strand of her chocolate curls behind her ear, "What about you? Surely you have something to fight for?"

Natasha let out a soft laugh again playing with the seams on her sleeve. "I never really thought about love before." Nova nodded letting the subject drop. They both sat in silence listening to the rain hit the window.

"I hope you can find something that puts meaning into your life," Natasha said suddenly looking to Nova, "You can't be so afraid there's an entire world out there you've never even seen outside of New York."

Outside New York, there was a God. His thunder rained down on the earth leaving stripes of white in the sky. The storm he had brewed could be heard by Nova that night as she closed her eyes trying to relieve her shaking body. Thor's hammer landed him right on Tony Stark's porch. The God of Thunder had returned after all.

——

Comment what you think of Nova Lee so far! Also, Thor will be making an appearance in the next chapter. ⚡️