Chapter Thirty-One

"HOW SHALL YOU EXPECT ME TO GREET MY RUNAWAY SON?" Odin's voice boomed through the great hall

Thor stood confidently after bowing down to his father. His eyes met with his mothers who was standing stiffly next to Odin on the throne. She granted him a light hearted smile before turning away.

"Father if I do recall correctly, you were the one to banish me."

The God of Thunder half expected the King to roll his eyes but instead he stood up from his seat and looked at Thor intensely through his uncovered eye.

"That was years ago and was all for good reason. I expected your full return to the palace to proceed with your ceremony to become the next King of Asgard. Instead you return with your troublesome brother to be placed in prison, and a mortal who is dying on my kingdoms grounds as we speak," Odin's voice raised at the mention of the brunette who was currently laying in his bed.

Thor attempted to contain his anger at his father's accusations. He took in a full breath before continuing, "I have good reason for her arrival father. You asked me to return when I was worthy and I have come to prove that."

"A worthy king mustn't need to prove anything."

The gods temper settled on a fine line between rage and containment. His father always pushed Thor to exploit his full potential, but his twist of words only further agitated Thor. To him, it was no longer about taking over the throne and learning insightful lessons. The only thought on his mind was relieving Nova Lee of the burden he had caused. Of course Odin would never care to understand the dynamics of her condition. So when the lecturing finally stopped and Thor was dismissed, he followed his mother out of the grand room.

Once he was closely behind her he spoke softly avoiding a displacement of anger, "What do you think of this mother?"

A smug smile played on her lips as she continued walking ahead of Thor, "Of what my son?"

He knew she was simply tempting his rage, a test she always seemed to attempt. When Thor didn't respond she stopped swiftly at an open window viewing the palace garden below, "Oh I know you are worthy of love Thor. Is that what troubles you?"

Her brilliance irked him at times, Frigga knew exactly what was on Thor's mind but always seemed to question. He wondered if she did this to ensure he even knew what was bothering him.

"The mortal troubles me mother, I fear I have given her a permanent fate that she may not be able to escape. The girl survived a shock of lightning, she is meant to be dead."

Frigga turned a curious eye at her son, his words finally catching her attention.

"And she lives?"

"Yes mother, she lives."

"Well I suppose we must got see this mortal you speak of then," Thor's mother clasped her hand around his bicep gesturing down the hall, "shall we?"

There wasn't much to see when Frigga arrived at Thor's chambers. Nova Lee was laying unconscious in the bed thick with a feverish sweat. Still his mother took note of every aspect of the girls nature. She ran her slender finger over the girls cheek before settling on her forehead. She paused there almost as if she were getting a message. Thor looked back and forth between the two anxiously.

"May I ask," Thor nodded eagerly continuing to stare at the girl, "do you care for the girl?"

Thor crinkled his eyebrows in confusion at Frigga's words, "how will that determine her fate?"

His mother gave him a piercing look waiting for him to answer her question. The large god sighed loudly finally looking away from the delicate girl beneath him.

"Yes mother, I care greatly for Nova Lee. But I don't see-"

Frigga held up a hand to his face forcing him to stop speaking. Then she smiled gently taking his hands in hers.

"Nature demands balance dear, you sacrificed a portion of your powers to save her. I'm afraid the result may be something only she can relieve."

His mother words only seemed to further his worry. Thor couldn't understand what she meant by her statements. How could a mortal take away this great amount of damage?

"Do not fret my son, I will grant her a small fix to soothe the effects of her mark," Frigga said softly to reassure Thor's tense frame.

"And she will live?"

She smiled at her sons childlike nature. Frigga could sense the change in Thor the moment he arrived back at Asgard. Nova was more than just a mortal. She had managed to sway the gods selfish character to something much lovelier. She could sense he was no longer the careless boy who left, but instead a man with ability to love selflessly enough to perhaps become a king.

"Oh yes, I assure you when she awakes she will be doing much more than just living."