Chapter Forty-Two

THE SKY WAS ANGRY THAT NIGHT, BUT SO WAS THOR. His face was the color of his familiar cape. Nova of course wasn't used to seeing the god anything but sweet to her, but she didn't let his quick temper get to her head. The stubborn brunette would stand her ground, if he truly wanted her to stay he would respect her independence.

"Care to explain yourself?" he asked, his blue eyes appearing like the crashing waves before a large storm.

Nova slithered her body between his and the door moving into his room with a sigh. Her head was still filled with rapid thoughts of the days events and she didn't know which words to start with.

Thor refused to stare at her turned figure, he grabbed her shoulder and stubbornly moved her to face him again.

Now the girl could see the temper everyone had been talking about.

"What the hell happened to your face Nova!? Did he do that to you?"

Her eyes crinkled with annoyance as she tried to piece together his fast rants.

"Who Thor? What are you even talking about?"

He took a step closer daring Nova Lee to step down. But she wouldn't let him get to her head, she was not an object to be tampered with.

"What is it with my brother Nova? Why must you constantly seek out the things that provoke me?How would my father ever allow you to stay when you sneak around his palace with the intent of getting a high profile criminal out of prison? Can you not be content with the things right in front of you?"

Nova Lee's cheeks reddened with embarrassment.

How dare he belittle me.

"Open your eyes Thor, that criminal you speak so lowly of is the brother you once fought for back on earth. If you keep letting that big head of yours get in the way you'll never see that your grudges are pointless. Almost as pointless as you believing you can keep me locked up in your room for whenever you need entertainment."

The sky outside darkened, the rain slammed down hard against the windows. It was hard to clarify whose emotions were to blame for the angry sky.

"Do you love him, girl?" Thor taunted glaring down at her.

She let out a laugh, almost too loud to be humane. Her anger matched the clouds. Heavy. Hostile.

"No," She said after a moment, "No Thor, I love you. But I am a person, a person who changes like the seasons and follows the flow of my emotions. You cannot possibly expect me to remain the same girl you met in New York."

Nova's eyes felt the weight of the world in that moment. She wanted to close them and slip back into the moment when she was small and naive. When the god was a fantasy that she could not indulge. But the God wasn't a phantom, he was a real man with skin, pain, and flaws.

Thor wanted her to be the weak girl he met on earth. The mortal that needed saving. But she couldn't justify remaining the same. Nova Lee was stronger than that.

"I will not cower down to you. Not now, not ever," she muttered meeting his eyes. The raging blue had finally passed to reveal a dull gray. The color of cement. The feeling of a wall being built high.

Nova turned to leave when she realized he would have no more to say. Before she could place her hand on the door he spoke out.

"Mortal," he said bitterly, "you will not speak to that criminal again."

Even when the rain finally trickled to a stop, and the clouds cleared. Nova couldn't help but feel like the storm had just begun.

———

rest in peace Chadwick Boseman, i'm so sad to see him go🥺❤️ he will forever be our wakanda king