-----> mum and dad: chapter six

I grunt loudly while I drop my last box inside the new apartment. Sweat drips down my face and neck. Our apartment was spacious and plain with white walls and wooden floor boards.

"You got the last box?" I yell out from inside the apartment window.

"Yep, everything's with you!" He yells back from outside. I drag my boxes into one of the rooms to claim that this room is mine. I walk back and carry in all the wooden and metal pieces for my bed. Jaylin came strolling in at the time I needed him.

"Jaylin, help me with this." I plead. He crouches next to me and reads the instructions.

"I don't understand this; can you get your parents to come over?" He questions. I pull out my phone and call my parents for their help. Soon enough, they arrive at our apartment.

"Just the bed you need help with?" My dad clarifies.

"Can you also do Jaylin's bed?" I add. He nods his head and gets to work while I help my mum and Jaylin in the main part of the house. Jaylin comes in helping the movers with bringing in our living and dining room furniture and mum is in the kitchen putting away plates, bowls and cutlery. We work until dusk over rules the night sky. I collapse onto the couch with heavy breaths and my hair spreads across the couch in a mess.

"Is that everything?" My dads asks me. I breath out 'yes' and sit upright on the couch.

"Thanks for the help mum and dad." I say out of appreciation. They look at each other until my mum slightly tilts her head towards me to my dad.

"(y/n), would we be able to come over tomorrow afternoon? There is something we would like to talk about." My dad requests slightly with hesitation.

"Sure, can I ask what it's about?" I question.

"It's better if we tell you tomorrow." My mum replies swiftly. 

"Okay, well I'll see you two tomorrow then." I confirm bluntly. I show them out and let out a massive sigh. My muscles are aching and I was in a messy state.

"Jaylin, I'm taking the first shower!" I shotgun. I hear him groan as I let out a laugh. I walk to my new room and open my box that still had my clothes in it. I grab a singlet and shorts for the night bringing them with me into the bathroom. I turn on the water and let the water run fluently down my aching body. Steam fogs up the mirror and lets the air turn warm. I step out and dry my body before throwing on my clothes.

"Your turn." I call out to Jaylin. "Also, what do you want for dinner? I'm thinking takeaway." I suggest.

"Get some Thai?" He thought. I agree and dial the closest Thai restaurant to deliver us some of their food. They arrive just as Jaylin hops out of the shower. I take the bags and place them on the kitchen counter and grab two plates.

"Smells great." Jaylin says smelling the spicy air.

"Got the hottest things on the menu, just how we like it." I tell him. His face smirks and he grabs his dinner.

"Thank god." He sighs happily before stabbing some of the chilli coated chicken. His face expands in pleasure and agony.

"It's so good, but so hot." He cries happily. I giggle at his reaction and dig into my dinner. He wasn't kidding, it explodes in my mouth.

"So, what do you think your parents want to talk about?" Jaylin starts off for a convocation starter.

"I'm not sure, but they seemed serious about it." I reply letting my mind play back to when they were here. They seemed hesitant and worried.

"Do you think they'll finally tell you why you have a different quirk? You've been asking for years now." Jaylin points out one of many reasons.

"Maybe, I just pray it's not bad." I say back to him. We finish up our dinner and clean up. My eye lids feel like they could drop any second. I brush my teeth and practically crawl into my bedroom. I rest deeply into my bed and fall into a heavenly slumber.

***

I sit down on the couch with my parents sitting opposite me. They told Jaylin to kindly exit the room as they want this talk just to me. Silence fills up the room until my dad takes the first voice.

"(y/n), what we're about to tell you, please don't take this to heart." My dad warns me. I stare at him confused.

"What's this about?" I ask cautiously. The air grew heavy, dark.

"You know how you have a different quirk to us?" My mother states. I slowly nod drifting my eyes towards my dad.

"Yeah, why is that? Shouldn't I have one or both of your quirks?" I question my intangible mind. They look at each other with tints of sadness floating in their eyes.

"(y/n), your full name isn't (y/n) Hakai." My mum softly. My ears grew weak.

"We aren't your biological parents." My heart sped up intensively.

"(y/n), you are adopted." My mind freezes. My eyes enlarge. My muscles tense.

"What?" I breath out helplessly. To think that my life was finally getting back on track, this occurs.

"We are so sorry that we didn't tell you sooner. We didn't think that you'd fully understand until you were a teenager." My mother sadly responds.

"(y/n) please don't take this-"

"Who are my real parents?" I blurt out hardly. Their lips seal shut and take glances at each other.

"We don't know. We adopted you at the age of two with little to no information about where you came from or who your parents were. You didn't deserve to have a life like that, so we adopted you." My dad answers truthfully. My head snaps up and looks deeply into their eyes.

"What information do you have of me? Anything!" I raise up. They look at me with sad, apologetic eyes. I try to look for an answer, but nothing shows up.

"We got told, you had a brother when we adopted you, but when we asked about him, they said he ran away. They haven't seen him since." My mother answers quietly, her voice in pain. I let out a dying breath of air. Tears start to freely fall down my red cheeks.

"I had a brother." I choke out through my shivers spreading across my body.

"I had a brother, and you didn't tell me about it? Where is he now? Dead, alive? Tell me!" I scream in agony. I couldn't bare this new pain. At that time I saw Jaylin run in to the living room.

"I think it's best if you two leave for now." Jaylin states. They stay silent and slowly stand up from the couch and head towards the door.

"What's his name?" I call out not showing my face. I hear their footsteps stop.

"What's my brothers name?" I sob with my back facing them.

"We only know that his initials are T.S" My adopted dad lightly spoke. I stay silent with my hands clenched in my lap. I hear the door close faintly behind me. A pair of arms pull me into a warm hug.

"I heard everything in the other room through the walls. I'm so sorry." He whispers into my ear.

"Why, why does this have to happen?" I cry out grasping onto his top.

I barley slept that night. My cries and sobs filled up the silent lurking around in my room.

"God please, help me with this pain." I weakly croak out before passing out for the long night.