Chapter-38

Ricardo’s heart warmed watching as she lulled the little boy to sleep, and was constantly on her feet but there was no resting as Johnny was not willing to be parted from her for a second and as much as he wanted to make her rest herself it was impossible. There was no comfortable bed either, he never knew she had been to place such as this one or he would have made sure she was getting to an acceptable place and not this detest-full place.
He was told about the current situation this very orphanage was in and he had all his men working on it and so was the police.
There had been no leads till now and he wanted faster results so he can take his wife back to their place and have a rest.
Iris cautiously walked out of the room almost an hour later. She was fatigued and will give out any time soon, it was just how she looked at his sight and he was worried sick about her.
“You don’t have to be here, you should head back.”
She said sitting next to him on the decent looking couch which was by the freshly painted wall. The wet paint told her that the renovations were taking place but why did they suddenly have to stop? Was the fund she provided not enough?
Ricardo noticed how occupied her mind was and her lack of attention towards him made him sick. The orphanage was not enough that the kids in it were also being the equal receiver of her attention.
“We don’t have to be here. I can call for the best services and we can head back home.”
“I cannot.”
“Why? How long do you know them for, a month or 2 at the most, why do they matter that big to you?”
She turned and looked him in the eye not surprised a bit for what just left his mouth. He was just being himself and it was harsh but there was no way she can help it.
“I can ask you the same. You’ve known me for barely 4-5 months…
“It has been over 3 years and 5 months.”
“Are you for real?”
She was surprised at how precise he was being with the dates. He had known her ever since her parents and Selena were in an accident, which led to their marriage and here being unable to get out of it and with time she got used to being his wife and around him.
“I never forget what I need to remember and never will I forget anything when it comes to you.”
He had her in his arms and was finally breathing a sigh of relive, now that he had her in his arms and it was his own personal heaven.
“Will you always be this way?”
She asked in a tired voice and he kissed her head as she rested her head on his chest, his muscled arms wrapped around her.
“Never doubt my sincerity, love. I can do just anything for you.”
She thought a lot for a good minute then met his eyes, her hand on his chest.
“Can you find out about the missin…
His device rang and it was from his men. He showed her the screen and she was dumb-folded as of what he was trying to mean by that but he took the call and kept it on speaker for her to hear just what his men found about it.
“Boss, we have a lead on the owner but the kids are nowhere to be found and we are still tailing after the old fellas.”
“You’re not being paid in instalments.” Ricardo raised his voice and the men on the other side exhaled in a discouraged manner.
“I’m sorry. I’ll get back to with all the information without fail a.s.a.p.”
He hung up and was fuming in rage. He was not a patient man and the half information only added fuel to his rage. She patted the back of his hand trying to ease his mind and it worked. Every little thing she did, worked on him even if it was just a mere touch.
“Thank you.”
She kissed the back of his hand and put it back to where it previously was on his lap but didn’t let go of his hand.
“I’ll do anything to get you out of this mess and back home.”
She smiled at his wish but he knew it too that she was always going to come back here until and unless she was 101% sure that the problems here was solved and there was only peace left.
Iris woke to the sound of the siren of the police car. How long had she been sleeping in his arms and that too with him in a very uncomfortable position. She quickly got up taking her weight off him.
“How long have I been sleeping for?”
“Not! 0% of sleep you needed.”
“You should have woke me up.”
“Like hell I’d do that.”
She shook her head in disbelieve. This man was impossible and she wanted him to be rational with her but that was never going to be possible as he always had his way with be it vocabulary or physically.
There was footsteps nearing them and entered 3 cops. By the looks she knew it was not going to be anything pleasant to the ears and she braced herself. Thank God Ricardo was here with her or she did not know how she was going to come up with whatever they had to inform them.
“Is Sarah here?” asked the cop and Ricardo was quick to respond with a No and asked if they were with any news or not.
“Are you anyhow related with this place in any way?”
“No we are not.”
“Then I’m sorry we cannot break it to you given that you are not affiliated with this organisation.”
“Officer! I’m their benefactor.”
‘No she is not. We have nothing to do with this place.”
He pulled her back behind him as if he knew what was going on and was trying to protect from what was to come.
“I’m Ricardo Wilde and my wife here had only been here for a countable time but for the sole purpose of providing them with their financial needs.”
“Oh! Mr-Wilde it is an honour to meet you if only had it been under different situation.”
“No problem officer.”
“Do not take me wrong but we’ll need all the bills for the funds Mrs-Wilde had provided for the organisation.”
“No problem. We’ll have it dropped by at the station in an hour.”
“Thank you Sir. It only seems right for us to enlighten you on what the case is leading to and I’m sorry to say this but this place had been charged for tampering of official license and for fraud and more to be added, I hope you understand what I’m trying to say here.”
Iris would have fell it was not for Ricardo’s arm around her back. How can this be possible? There must be some mistake?
She was lost in her own thoughts she did not hear the cops leaving.
“Are you alright?”
“There must be some misunderstanding there. How can this be possible?”
“You need to calm down. I’m here and nothing will go wrong.”
He tried to calm her but it was doing it. One second he thought she had come in terms with the facts but right the next she asked
“What about the kids? The owner, are they alright?”
“My men are looking into it; you should rest your mind.”
He carried her in his arms into a room which had a brand new looking bed in it which was not there some hours ago.
“Where did this come from? It was not there before.”
“No questions and only rest.”
“Did you do this?”
“I paid for it but No I did not do that manually.”
Just how deep was she sleeping to have failed to notice all this and when did he arranged it all? Tiredness took over her and she was sound asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.
They were jolted awake when Johnny banged the door open and walked in crying his lungs out. All signs of tiredness were gone and Iris was on her knees hugging the child trying to calm his cries not to wake the others.
Ricardo felt like wanting to snatch away the kid from her arms and have him parcelled far away from his wife. It had only been an hour since he finally got to make her rest but it was all ruined for this little brat.
“Young man you need to get your ass back into your room and let my wife get some sleep.”
“Ricardo!”
Iris yelled back at him and the calming Johnny began to cry again. She carried him in his arms and placed his head to her chest mumbling sweet little things to him but angry at her dumb husband.
She gently laid Johnny on the bed careful not to wake him up as Ricardo looked at her in disbelieve that she was allowing a kid to sleep between them. She stayed still keeping Johnny’s head on her chest so he could 1st get used to the bed then she will put his head down but his eyes opened the moment she did that. Johnny stared at her for a moment as she stayed still not moving an inch; Johnny turned to look at Ricardo and said “MEANIE! VERY BAD.” and he dozed off.
Iris pressed her lips holding in her laughter as Ricardo had an annoyed look on. Johnny’s little arms wrapped around her neck the moment she lay on the bend and he came in closer to her, contented for finally finding the warmth he had been deprived of.
Sarah came in early unable to rest her worried mind only to find more than 15 new faces who were busy cooking, setting the table. Cleaning the little house, only then could she rest her mind a bit. Thanking the Heaven for this miracle.
Iris felt tugging at her dress as if someone was trying to rip off her dress and she woke up to a sitting Johnny trying to remove the huge arm wrapped around her waist close to her breast. When did Ricardo move behind her? From the corner of her eyes she could see that he was up and was the reason for the scowl on Johnny’s cute little face. They were both trying to have their ways and it was a beautiful sight but they were not at the privilege to be having such moments so she removed Ricardo’s arms and got up. She remembered how her dumb husband treated Johnny and she was all angry again. Before he could pull her back to bed she got off the bed with Johnny in her arms.
Iris was met with the same thought Sarah had when she stepped out of the room to find everything looking better. Ricardo hugged her from behind and wished her a very good morning to which she replied with a peck on his cheeks. She was glad and thankful for all he did.
Iris saw some men walk in and talk with Ricardo but he pulled them away to another room and she knew what it was for. She told Sarah she’d be back in a moment and left Johnny with her.
“We found the couple and one of the kids but they were all dead. The 7 year old was robbed off his organs and…
That was all she heard from behind the door and she saw black before her body met the wooden floor with a thud and Sarah scream out her name.