Chapter-41

It had been 2 hours yet Johnny refused to let go of her embrace and she was saddened that she needed to leave him with Sarah when he wanted to be with her. Sarah looked at her helplessly and then put the little one in her arms who was burning with fever. She let go of him and rushed out of the parlour with a weakly wailing Johnny in Sarah’s arms. This was a very stupid plan on her part knowing how sick the little one was she still asked Sarah to bring him along. She wanted to take him to the hospital on her own but she needed to keep her word so Ricardo can keep his part too. The fact that Sarah was there for the kids gave her a little peace of mind and they needed to hold on just a bit more and they will be out of this mess for good.
Ricardo observed it all and knew she was saddened by it. He walked in to the parking lot and saw how his wife had her head in her hands as her shoulders trembled in cries. He gently tapped on the window and a smile lit up her face the moment she saw Johnny in his arms. She got out in a jiffy “Careful.” he said and she smiled at him taking the boy in her arms.
“Can he stay with us?”
She asked in a low tone not wanting to wake the boy but he was silent, no response.
“Till we know he is better and no longer sick.” She bargained again but he still kept on driving without any reply, meaning he was not going to agree.
“He goes back once he is well no more than that.”
“Thank you.”
She was glad he agreed to let Johnny stay and she was going to make sure the little one will get well a.s.a.p.
He took the sleeping boy from her arm and carried him to the guest room and she was by his side as soon as he was put on the bed. Ricardo let her be with the kid and went in to his study getting into more phone calls.
Iris received a text from Sarah saying she was thankful for everything they were doing for the kids and that she will drop by tomorrow and collect Johnny so that they won’t be troubled any further but Iris wanted to keep him till she was 101% sure Johnny was alright. Just a way to lessen Sarah’s burden and to keep herself company too so that she won’t go crazy with her constant curiosity as of what is going on in the orphanage and the kids.
She walked out of the room to prepare some soup for Johnny when she heard Ricardo yell on the phone, too loud for any ears to not shrink. She felt sorry for troubling him but there was no other person she could think of that could help her. Juan was way too busy and now that he was without an assistant to help him as she was on leave.
She mentally made a note to call him later on but for now she had tasks on her hand she needed to focus on.
She carried a bowl of sliced fruits to Ricardo’s study and he was just the way he was when stressed. The room was dark and the smell of his cigar filled the room making her hold her breath before walking any further. She put the tray down on the desk and went to his side. He had his lids shut and his hand rested on his forehead as if trying to block the darkness from his eyes. She sat on the floor while staring up at him. He was beautiful and looked stressed. She gently ran her hand on his which rested on the armrest of the chair.
“You need to eat something.”
His eyes fluttered open and he saw how uncomfortable she was with the scent that filled his study.
“What are you doing in here? You need to get out of here it is not good for you or the baby.”
She was warmed at his concern for her and their unformed/unborn baby. She pushed him back on his chair and sat on his lap hugging him tight. She relaxed in his arms so did he. They both needed this.
“Thank you for everything. I promise I will take care of myself and our baby and won’t trouble you with our wellbeing.”
“You better do that but we need to get you out of this room.”
He picked her up in his arms and walked out of the study. The smell of roasting chicken hit his nose and he looked at her in worry.
“You were not in the kitchen were you?”
“I was and dinner will be done in an hour.”
“You will not step into the kitchen again. I’ll have Amanda send some staff in here for the chores.”
“Ric you’re over reacting. I am able to do the basics on my own…
“But… she interrupted him back
“I will not sit and do nothing and I am the wife here.”
“What does that even have to do with my being the husband? I just want my wife to not get herself into any sort of possible harm.”
“Don’t worry I wont blow up your kitchen.”
She joked but he was not taking it. He was way too bad in understanding the situations when it came to things that had nothing to do with the business world. She pecked him on his cheek.
“I will let you know when I feel like I will not be able to take it anymore so you should just let me be for now and to top it all I am a decent cook so you won’t have to suffer.”
He was giving in but was still not very sure and agreeing with her idea. They both heard a loud thud and turned to face the guest room. She was about to rush in but he held her arms and she knew what he was going to say so she said it before he could.
“Okay! No running lets walk in there.”
Johnny was on the floor he looked funny staring at the rug and laughing.
“Is he alright? What’s so funny about a plain maroon rug?”
“Oh no!”
She rushed and picked the boy and laid him on the bed. He was burning too high a fever and was in mental confusion. He was all red yet was laughing at all the non-living things that surrounded him.
“Call Lambert!”
She shouted in worry and he did.
Lambert was just around the area when Ricardo called.
“How did he even get to that state? I’d suggest you take him to the hospital and keep him under observation.”
“We cannot do that, you need to stick your ass here if that means I get to have my expecting wife some rest, she so deserves.”
Lambert wanted to kick his best friend’s ass for making him suffer just so he could have his way but also he would have done it without him ordering him as he also wanted what was the best for Iris and if he was too leave the two couple by themselves it will either be the little boy or the dumbass of a friend being kicked out.
Lambert knew just how attention seeking his friend was when it came to his wife and the boy was no different from him.  Iris was 7 weeks pregnant and it was more risky to have her stress for any sort with a heavy heart he called Selena and cancelled their meeting.
Selena was there in less than an hour, carrying a humongous backpack as if she was here for good. She ignored both the men and went in to meet Iris.
“You look the best when you are not stressing and congratulations for the little one.”
Iris smiled like a proud mama.
“He makes me feel beautiful.” she said dreamily, her hand running over her belly.
“So you want a he, what about Rick? He’ll be happy with any as it will only offer him more chances to get all dirty with…
Selena halted mid-sentence and look at Iris apologetically who had a mortified look but was quickly covered with a laughter seeing the expression Selena had on for speaking her blunt words.
“I don’t know about that we are not going to get into any action until this little one is out and my husband learns how to act like a grown up.”
“It must be hard having two children to look after at a time but you’re strong and will get out of it just fine. Also I’m here to whip Rick’s ass if he does anything against your will.”
“Thank you for coming. I didn’t know what to do if Lambert had not came in just in time.”
“Was Rick not with you?”
“He was, he was the one who allowed Johnny here.”
“You need to take charge of the things that goes in this household. You’re the wife here and only a happy wife makes a happy home.”
Was she happy? Will she be able to make people around her happy?
“You need to rest, Lambert is with Johnny and I’ll be here too only if you don’t mind?”
“I’d be delighted to have you here.”
“Call me if you need anything.”
Selena pulled the sheets over Iris’s tired body and kissed her head wishing her a good night.
Iris was sound asleep when Ricardo came in with a tray of food the new maid had prepared. He did not have the heart to wake her but dinner was a must and so he woke her.
She noticed how he observed every move of hers and though she was full she did not want him to fuss over her, she had already caused him too much trouble so she kept on eating.
He took the spoon from her hand and pushed the tray away noticing how she was forcing herself on food.
“You can stop when you want to.”
“I can finish those.” she said pointing at the tray.
“Why are you forcing yourself? I am happy that you are eating well but forcing yourself will only make you sick.”
“I’m sorry. I won’t repeat that again.”
He looked at her suspiciously and his questioning glance made her blurt out her frustration.
“I don’t want to trouble you more than I already did.”
“You are not a trouble to me and you need not worry about anything but yourself and our child.”
She nodded like a child who just got an earful. She clenched and unclenched her hand under the sheets. She wanted to take a look at Johnny but did not want to take a chance to anger him. She needed to trade wisely and make sure she will not worry him as it was also weird to have someone worry for her.
He pulled the sheets off her and pulled her on her feet.
“Let’s see how John is…
“Johnny.” she corrected and he smiled
“Let go see how Johnny is doing and then you can rest too.”
She ran her hand over Johnny’s little head which was back to its normal temperature and colour. The fever was gone yet Lambert decided he’ll still keep him under his surveillance just in case. Selena had changed her clothes and was all at home. She sat by Johnny’s bed saying she was going to be on duty right by his side. Ricardo took her back to their room once she knew Johnny was in good hands. She needed to rest herself and be all energized by morning. There were tons of things to be done.
She pulled Ricardo next to her. His warmth providing her comfort as it always did. He needed to rest himself too and if she let him go now, she knew he will not make himself get any sleep.
“Can’t you stay for a while?”
“Give me a moment.”
He said as he got off the bed and stripped off his clothes. He was not thinking of doing it tonight was he? Surprisingly he slipped in next to her with his boxers on for the very first time.