Chapter-39

It was this very alarming silence she woke up to. She felt her wrist gone cold and she that was no longer in the comfort of her husband’s arms but in a bed too soft and the sheets a little too harsh than the silk ones in Ricardo’s place. She tried to lift her hands and was instantly cupped in bigger and warm hands which belonged to Ricardo. She groaned trying to open her eyes as her head throbbed, her back was stiff too. Just how long had she been laying in this very position?
“Do you feel alright?” Ricardo’s concerned voice asked and she nodded then he pressed the buttons on the side of the bed which beeped and that was her clue, she was in the hospital.
Ricardo pushed back the hair on her face and kissed her on the cheeks before making her sit a more comfortable manner, he sat next her taking her little weight and she felt good. His body radiated heat and she loved it, it provided comfort.
“Don’t ever put that stunt on me again. I might not be able to forgive you for it. Do you understand?”
She could only put on a small smile on her face and nod her head. He was dead serious about what he just said and hoped that she was going to take it just the way he wanted her to. There was no way he was going to make her go through anymore hardship, at least not for the one who had nothing to do with her. He hated anyone interfering in his matters and in this case it was his wife prying into problems that had nothing to do with her.
“Are the kids alright? Tell me they are.” She asked as he chose to keep mum about it but she was having this very bad feeling which made her nervous even before knowing the actual reason.
She tugged at his hand but he said nothing “Oh God they have to be alright.” Her voice broke and he turned to face her with a very hard expression. Holding her hands tightly. He was being invited to break her heart but he knew he needed to resist it.
“You need to let go of them. They mean nothing to us.”
"Are you crazy?”
She yelled back at him and the tightening of his hold on her hand told her he was at the edge, a little push and it will be her doomsday.
Right that moment the doctors entered making him swallow back all that was at the tip of his tongue and she was somewhat relieved and thankful for the little distraction.
He loosened his hold and stood by her bed as the doctor examined her vitals and this was when she truly took her surroundings into notice. The white eye piercing walls the glaring lights and the faint beeping sound. The wires stuck in her chest with those button tapes and the canola or her wrist, which made the yellowish looking fluid pass through her veins, it was cold her whole wrist was cold and her heart felt the coolness too for the way Ricardo was behaving.
She knew he wanted no troubles for either of them but his inconsiderateness was beyond humanly possible for someone who confessed to be in love.
Her ears noticed the words being exchanged by the doctors and her husband but her brain chose not to acknowledge any of those words.
She smiled at the doctor thanking them for their service before they left leaving them alone in this very uncomfortable air.
“Can we go back to the kids?” she asked breaking the silence.
“We are not going anywhere near that place ever again.”
“Why? The kids are alone we have to be there for them.”
“They will be provided with all that they need but you are not going back there. I won’t let you.”
She was seeing red, how can he even not bother for a moment before saying such words. She got up from the bed and he was by her side the moment she tried to take a step. He was trying to keep his breath all normal but it happened just the other way around. She was pushed forward and was met with his heaving chest.
“You need to listen to me. Everything I am doing is for the best for you and…
“Me? Do you even know how I feel, to see someone being where I have been and so desperately wanted to be out of there with no hopes? How can you expect me to not want to help myself if I could do just that! Am I asking for too much?” She almost cried out the last part. The thought of being all alone and with no one to call her own, she knew just how hard it could get to mentally hold herself. if she was to back out now there would be no difference between those people who made her feel she was their own but only to deny her when she needed them the most and worst because she had been there herself yet refused to undo the wrong. Cruel is the heart that denies the needy but detested is the heart that knowingly repeated the same.
The change in his tone made her heart at ease but she needed words. Words saying he knew what she was saying and feeling. Words in his comforting voice saying she was right and that he was proud of her for wanting to stand up for herself, for protecting herself by protecting the kids. She just wished for him to agree with her and see things her way and feel them but that was not what she was going to get.
“I promise you they’ll all be sent in the best care, with the best plans for them. They will not lack anything.”
“They will. There will be no one for them to call their own, no hearts to care for them.”
“That is not what they need the most.”
“You will never understand nobody does.”
Her warm tears wet his shirt, she pushed him but he refused to let go of her.
“I am sorry for what you’ve been through but you need to trust me on this. Those kids will be well looked after.”
“Do you feel nothing for them at all?” She met his eyes with a questioning sight.
“You know how I feel.”
If she was upset before then she did not know what she was even feeling at the moment. She wiped her tears then pulled at the wire attached to her wrist which began to bleed the instant and he had her bleeding hand in his. Yelling at her for doing just what she did. He looked like he wanted to punch a hole in her. He furiously punched at the alarm and the doctors came in rushing.
“Mrs- Wilde you need to be, if possible not clumsy.” Ricardo groaned at the doctor’s choice of words but she knew if she was in his stead she would be feeling the same. Bandaging up her hand the doctor scurried away like a mouse when came face to face with the cat.
“You need to stop intimidating everyone around you.”
“I could punch some ethical verbal into that thick skull of his and the world will be thankful for it.”
She shook her head in disagreement. He held her in his arms and played with her hair and all she could think of was how to come up with an escape so she can go to the kids. She needed to see for herself if they were all alright.
“Can we not bother with anything else?” He whispered in her ear his breath teasing her sensitive nape.
“We can. Even better if we could make sure we have nothing to worry over.” She tried again and he kissed her nape.
“The cops are doing just what they can do and I made sure my men will comply and help them with everything to make things quick.”
“Will the missing…
Her body stilled when she realized just what she heard this morning and she gasped in horror. He was quick to tighten his hold on her and she was finding it hard to breath. One of the missing kids met with such horrifying fate, she could not protect him the way she wanted to and to top it all she was here with 2 more kids missing. Her forehead frown, she felt her throat restrain and closing up making it hard for her to keep her breathing normal.
“You need to calm and breath.” Ricardo instructed gently rubbing her back and her sight was blurred with tears.
“I failed him, didn’t I?” She whispered in a terrified tone and he nodded a no.
“You are not responsible for any of those things. You only need to concentrate on yourse…
“I could have saved him. I should have.”
“It was not your fault. Do you understand me? You have nothing to do with any of that is going on that place.”
“You don’t understand. We need to find the other two.” She said getting up on her feet and she pulled him with her but he was rooted to the floor and was unmoveable.
“Won’t you come with me?” She asked with a hopeful look and his heart did a strange pull it hurt.
“We can’t.”
“Why?” She yelled at him, a voice too loud even for her own ears but he was still.
“You need to let go of those kids.”
“I can’t and I won’t. I will go down there on my own if you won’t come with me.”
He strode towards her and he pulled her to him, he kissed her head again and again.
“We need to look out for our own child.”
“Are you crazy? We got no child and we should never have 1.”
Her words hit him straight through his heart and it was not a beautiful one too.
“Are you willing to fail your own child for those kids?”
She pushed him away from him and stared at him as if he had grown a pair of brainless heads. He looked at her in a hurt manner and knew he was not just playing with words to make her stay.
She sat on the tiled floor her hands touching her stomach where their little creation took shelter in and she broke down. She could not get out of 1 mess herself and now got an innocent soul involved in it all, just how much more pitiful could her life get.
He wrapped his arms around her sitting on the floor and putting her on his lap, his hand covering hers over her stomach. It was supposed to be a joyous moment but nothing at current could measure up with a % to happiness. She was with child when she did not want one and with the person she so wanted to get away from. Her cries broke his shattered heart.
It was not easy for him to come to this but no matter how many time he needed to make this choice he was still always going to choose the same if it meant to keep her happy. He wanted to kill himself over and over again for even thinking of saying it out loud but he did and he felt a part of him vanish into the cold thin air.
“You… ahmmm… should get rid of it.”