Chapter-42

“How did you get all those receipts for the cops?”
She was amazed at how he produced all those receipts for the cops in a matter of hour when she did not even know where-where she had done the purchasings from. He was well prepared for all that was to come but it will lead him to trouble if anything went wrong and she was not up for it. He had done enough and it will be very selfish of her if she let anything bad to befall him for her sake.
“Love! There are so many things which are possible if you get what you need to make those happen.”
“That is illegal. I mean what if you get into trouble for doing that?”
He took her hands in his and kissed the back of it.
“If that’s what I have to do for your safety, so be it.”
She slapped the back of his hand.
“You don’t plan for our child to grow with his parents labelled as criminals, do you? Coz if you are than let me be clear that I am not up for it. And what is so wrong with helping the kids or the orphanage the orphanage the government chose to ignore?”
He was silent for a minute but then made his mind; she needed to know just what she is trying to get herself into. It will do her no good by knowing but it was the best choice for he did not want to repeat the same mistake by keeping her in the dark.
“Iris, you need to be calm when you hear this. I know it will not be easy but you need to make sure to have a clear mind to think it through.”
“Are you trying to threaten me coz if you are, you need to prep up to sleep in your study.”
She was serious with her terms and he knew that was a major reason of importance to him. He never got through the night without her it was pure torture.
“The whole thing with that place is illegal.”
“What does that mean?”
“They are not only uncertified but are also into organ trafficking.”
She was up on her feet the moment she heard him say those unbelievable words. He got to be kidding. This cannot be possible.
He pulled her back in his arms and rested her head on his chest.
“The children are will be okay and the administrations are shifting them to a special care, they’ll be safe there but…”
“But what?” she looked up at him in curiosity/anxiety.
“Mrs-Sarah is under their custody.”
“Why is she…
“She had been associated with the orphanage for over a decade and so she is being held as the prime suspect but don’t worry she’ll be out of it soon.”
“The cops are wrong aren’t they?”
“There are too many evidences against her but I’ll make sure she’ll be out.”
“What evidence?”
“Mr and Mrs Gomez very cunningly made her their scapegoat and all the illegal transactions were being done under her identity and she never was aware of those. They have you on tab too but their deal went wrong before they could do anything to you.”
She hoped this was one weird dream and hoped for none of it to be true but they were. These things were never supposed to happen in real life and this was not a movie but why was it all happening? Sarah was in police custody, she barely made out of the scam… scam? It will not only be her but Ricardo too as she was using his card to do all the transactions for the orphanage. She should have listened to him when warned her to stir clear of that place but the children there made her not regret her decision one single bit.
“We need to go down to the cops.”
She said getting up from his lap but he pulled her down.
“Let me take care of it.” How can he still want to help her?
“I won’t get you into any more trouble for my sake and we did nothing wrong so we will be safe.”
He warmed at her naivety and her concern towards him. How can he not love her? She was just so pure and beautiful in every sense.
“You need to learn to trust in me.”
“I do, I do trust you with my life but I will not make you take my share of misfortunes. You’ve done way too much for me and if I make you do this for me again then I will be taking you for granted.”
“It doesn’t matter to me as long as you are willing mine.”
She looked at him with welled up eyes, his breath brushing her skin.
“Why, how can you love someone like me?”
“It is a natural for me to and why won’t I or any other soul love you?”
She put her hands on his cheeks
“Won’t you tire of waiting for me to love you back just the way you do to me?”
“Your love is the only thing I ever truly want but I don’t want you to love me like I do, I don’t want you to go crazy for my sake, it is very dangerous at times and I want no harm to befall you.”
She kissed him hard on the lips, she could taste her salty tears in their kiss and she sobbed harder as she kissed him.
He pulled away from her and their heads rested on the others
“Can I love you?” she whispered to him and he had a faint smile on his lips.
“You should but only if you want to, if that’s what you truly want.”
She kissed him again and again, not wanting to let go of him but she eventually did.
“Please make me meet her for once.”
“Iris you know that is not the wisest decision.”
“Please.”
They sat in the cold room waiting for Sarah to enter through the steel door and when she did Iris leap into her arms and both women shared their cries. Sarah looked famished and tired and Iris’s heart broke. Ricardo let them on their own and went out the room to talk with the officer in charge.
They talked as held they held each-other’s hand, too much to share with too less a time. Sarah was in tears yet again when she knew Iris was expecting and she blessed both the mother and child. Iris comforted Sarah saying Ricardo will make sure she will be out soon and how they will be back to their daily lives with a child on their way. Sarah was constantly going to be on her feet running after the little one and how their days were going to be filled with a presence of a new child. Sarah gleamed with joy at the thought of the possible beautiful future and she thanked Iris for wanting to make her a member of their little one. She was going to be a great nanny and she longed to be a granny too. She never had the pleasure to be one but all thanks to Iris she was going to be one soon and there was no more beautiful picture of her future in her mind than this.
They parted after an hour which seemed to have passed at a blink of an eye. Sarah scolded her not to skip meals like she did most of the time and now that she was with child she was to be more attentive towards her health. “I want a healthy grandchild, don’t disappoint me.” Sarah said and wished her love. Sarah thanked Ricardo for doing all that he had done for the children and her before she was led into where she came out of.
It was past 8p.m when they returned home and she was tired. He carried her to the dining and returned with the dinner prepared by the new maid. He fed her as she was not willing to do that herself saying she did not have the appetite but he reminded her how she promised him to take care of herself and their little one.
“Can we not visit Johnny and the rest?”
His jaw was stiff at the mention of Johnny but he kept mum and placed the tray away. He advanced closer to her then as their lips were about to met
“Let me confess this. I know that kid does not hold a thing against me but I am so jealous of him.”
She laughed at his confession and kissed his cheek.
“I don’t know why but you’re making me believe that you are not going to be that great of a father.”
Okay! That hurt but she was maybe right. What if they had a beautiful son who will have all of his wife’s attention then what about him? Kids are needy and demanding, he knew she will never want to let their child out of her sight and it was going to be a very big problem for him.
“What are you thinking?”
“You are right. I might fail as a father.” for the very first time he sounded timid and unsure of himself. This was so normal and she like him more for being just the regular human and not the superior who knew no limits and was always ever so confident in himself. It was a human thing to be insecure or acknowledge the fact that no man can do everything.
“You are just the way should be at the moment.”
“What do you mean?”
“You don’t want to hear me say it but you need to know that you’ll be a great father once you become one.”
Her words did wonders on him. He was still not sure of what she was meaning to say when she said how he was the way he should be but he loved the little contented smile on her lips.
“Do you think you’ll be able to be attentive towards both me and our child? I mean you are great in every possible way but…
“Don’t worry no matter what I will always want my husband and maybe I might not be able to be as attentive to you like to our little one but we never know. It is our very first time to become parents.”
“You are right we never know how the future will turn out to be so I have decided…
“Decided that you’ll prepare yourself with Johnny?”
“You wish but that is that bad of an idea yet that is not what I am planning on.”
“Then what is that you’ve decided on?”
“Given that we both are unsure of the days to come we need to make up for the days to come. Don’t you agree?”
She was a laughing mess but did applaud for his effort as nothing that sort he planned was going to happen tonight.
Her resolutions vanished into thin air the moment his wet, warm lips met her collar bone, she was wet and putty in his hands in less than a minute. Her body had a mind and wishes of their own making her brain go hazy with need and give in to his will.