Chapter 16

Ella sat in her English class, writing down the boring notes from the lecture. Kamsi was on the other side of the room, trying to focus on her work, but could only stare at Jon, who was the quarterback for the football team.

"Before we get out of here and get on with our lives, midterms are coming out at the end of the week. If you need to retake any of the tests or the final, please see me or shoot me an email."

Ella was a perfect student, always doing her best to get A's. She began to pack up her things, getting startled when she heard Kamsi call her name.

"Ella, I think I'm going to do it today." Ella looked up at her, still struggling to put her notebook back in her bag. "What're you going to do?"

Kamsi sighed, eyeing Jon from the corner of her eyes. Ella noticed the little twinkle in her eye, knowing exactly what she was planning on doing. "Oh, so you're really going to do it?"

Kamsi nodded quickly, then watched as Jon made his way out of the English hall. "Ella, he's perfect for me. I know this for a damn fact."

Ella laughed, rolling her eyes playfully. "Says the one who is going after an athletic boy when she doesn't like to even walk."

Kamsi groaned, then punched Ella in the arm, but not too hard. "You're gonna be the death of me. Anyway, have you decided what you're going to do about Brendon and Richard?"

Ella sighed, picking up her backpack, then stood up. "I don't know if I want to date either of them, Kam. They just don't seem to be the people I thought they actually were."

Kamsi nodded, holding the English hall door open. "Well, just remember to go with what your heart says. Your mind can't really make good decisions since there's always something going on in there."

She was right. The mind had a ton of knowledge put into it and if people thought with their mind all of the time, then who knows what would happen. 

For one, there wouldn't be as many dumb people who just go out and date whoever. "I'm planning on talking to Richard today. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to pay him a visit, right?"

Kamsi shrugged. "I don't think so. You're gonna have to let me know what happens because you know that I have to be nosy."

Ella laughed, shaking her head. "You don't have to be nosy. You just choose to be that way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pulling up to Richard's building, Ella noticed all the police cars and an ambulance parked in the parking lot. Her heart began to pound against her chest as she wondered what was happening.

Quickly pulling into a parking spot, Ella got out of the car, looking for the first person she could ask about what happened.

Everyone outside was busy, so she went inside, going straight to the male secretary. The last time she was here, the secretary was some cranky woman. "Hey, how can I help you?"

Ella immediately thought that the man was gay, but low and behold, she was right. He took out his brand new phone, his lockscreen  a picture of him and his boyfriend kissing.

"Uh, I'm here to see Richard. Is he available?" The secretary looked at her like she was crazy, but soon realized that she had no idea what happened.

"Oh, sweetheart. Richard died yesterday night. He drank a bit too much and fell off the second floor."

Ella's heart broke, even though Richard cheated on her. "O-Oh, uh, thank you."

She made her way back out to the parking lot, dialing Brendon's number. On the second ring, he picked up.

"Hello?"

Ella sucked in a deep breath, then sighed, holding back her tears. "Brendon, I-I need you."

She could hear him pick up his keys. "I'm on the way, baby. Where are you?"

"Richard's penthouse." Brendon sighed, closing and locking his front door.

"I'll be there in a bit. Don't go anywhere."