Chapter 57

Ella poured the pancake batter on the hot pan, pulling out a spatula from the drawer. Brendon had found a seat at one of the barstools, propping his head up with his arms.

Feeling his eyes on her, Ella sighed, placing the spatula on one of the napkins she had set out. She turned to face Brendon, her hands finding their way onto her hips.

"When are you going to leave, Brendon? I do enjoy your company, but I told you to wait until after I'm done with school." 

Brendon rolled his eyes, then looked around the room. "I have nothing better to do, El. I wanna see you all the time. You've completely ruined me."

Ella crossed her arms, shaking her head. "I'm not the one who ruined you. You're the one that ruined yourself because you decided to love me."

Brendon chuckled, sitting up straight. "I think that you're the one who has ruined me. I don't care how much you disagree with me."

Ella rolled her eyes, then went back to making pancakes. It seemed like Brendon would be staying longer than she had expected.

~~~~~~~

Ella walked through the door, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. Brendon was sitting on the couch, laughing at a dumb joke someone had just made on the show he was watching.

He didn't hear her come in, but Brendon did hear Ella's little sniffles. Brendon turned his head, seeing that she was making her way down the hall to her bedroom.

Turning off the tv, Brendon jumped over the back of the couch, then ran towards Ella. Before she could even walk into her bedroom, Brendon grabbed her wrists and turned her to face him.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Ella looked up at him, her bloodshot eyes making him feel even worse. "I-I saw one of R-Richard's friends. H-He said that I was the cause of R-Richard's death."

Brendon's eyes widened. "No, no. You weren't. Who said that?" Ella sniffled, then shook her head, beginning to sob.

"I-I'm being over-dramatic. I-I'm so-" Brendon shook his head, placing his forehead on hers. "Don't be sorry. It's ok, it's ok. What's their name?"

Ella sniffled again, wiping away her tears. "D-David." Brendon let out a breath, caressing her cheek with the side of his hand.

"I have to go, Ella. I'll be back in a bit."