Chapter 44

Ella picked at her nail polish, waiting for the person on the other end to pick up her call. "Hello, Ella. Is everything alright?" Ella closed her eyes, then took a deep breath in, thinking about her dad.

"No, Bren. Nothing seems to be right a-and I'm scared that something is going to happen to me next. I-It seems like my family is being targeted by someone." Brendon blinked sharply, then sighed.

He knew she had a point, but he wasn't going to tell her that it was him who had been going after her family. "I don't think you're being targeted, Ella. Bad things happen sometimes."

Ella rolled her eyes, wiping her tears away as she sniffled. "That's what you're not getting. My dad had a break in happen just last month and this whole fire situation feels like that same person may have planned it."

Brendon bit his lip. He never knew that there was a break in at Luke's house, but then again, why would she tell him that anyway?

"Ella, would you like me to come over?" She bit her lip, then cleared her throat. Ella didn't want Brendon to know that she went to school in Wisconsin, but little did she know that he did.

"Uh, no. I'm not home at the moment. I'm sleeping over at my friend's house tonight." Brendon rolled his eyes, knowing that she was lying. He knew that she had gone back to school just yesterday.

"Damn, I really wanted to see you. I thought I could comfort you by bringing over some movies and ice cream, but we can do that another time. Just know that I'm praying that everything gets better."

For some reason, that made Ella's tears fall faster. "T-Thank you, Brendon. I honestly don't know what I would do without you." 

Brendon smiled, feeling bad that he had to cover up what he had done. "I love you, El." She smiled, sniffling once again.

"I love you too, Bren. I'll talk to you later."