12 | The Beginning of the Beginning

I am so high

. I am so high .
I can almost touch the sky
I am so done
. One more drink and i might die .

THE CLASS I'D BEEN ANTICIPATING all day, personal finance. I waited near the lockers, pretending to be busy on my phone until I saw two brunettes enter. One small, one tall, one stick skinny, one rather round. Bullseye. I waited for the door to close before immediately going in after. They sat next to each other near the backside of the room, and thankfully, there were two seats open right near them. I took the closest next to stick, who I assumed was Leah from the texts. Approaching them, they glanced up, Leah's wide eyes somehow getting even bigger.

"Hi," I said, smiling and sitting next to Leah. "I'm Laura."

"I-I I'm Leah!" She stuttered out. And holy shit, she had such a high voice. Squeaky almost. "And-and that's Ryan."

"Nice to meet you guys," I smiled again, scanning my brain for conversation starters. "You're both really beautiful, by the way."

That'll do it. Butter them up with compliments, the one thing anyone in this school would love from the 'almighty A-listers'. Ryan's face went pink, and she brushed a strand of hair out of her face. It was hard to tell these two shy socials were the gossip girls of the school. "Thanks, you are too. You're like, so freaking gorgeous," Ryan said, smiling at me.

"You're so-so much prettier than Tao, in my opinion," Leah said as if she'd been holding it in for a while. I knew she was lying though. She'd say anything to become friends with me, as most of the kids in this school would as well.

Ryan turned to Leah, smacking her arm. "Leah! You can't say that about Tao!"

"Oh, shit. Please don't tell-tell Tao," Leah practically begged me.

Laughing, I tried not to roll my eyes. "Why would I? That's not a very good conversation starter, dont'cha think?" I raised my voice, trying to mimic Tao. "Oh hey Tao, just wanted to let you know some girls said I'm prettier than you."

Leah and Ryan laughed, but Ryan's sounded more forced. I tried desperately to continue the conversation, using every topic in the book. But all they did was smile and laugh and agree with me about everything. They were boring and were trying too hard for me to like them, which just ended up with me disliking them. Class ended, and I invited they invited me to sit with them at lunch tomorrow; I said yes, which they were ecstatic about.