23 | You can drown or you can die

I don't care about your little threatsAll the kids in your clique are pretendI don't mind when you play with my headI flip around, play with yours instead

All the kids in your clique are pretend
I don't mind when you play with my head
I flip around, play with yours instead

♣︎

POV - anonymous

Even I, a person with no relevance nor care about the A-listers could tell something was wrong. The atmosphere in the school because of it had everyone on the tips of their toes, waiting, begging, watching for an opportunity to throw anyone under the bus, and rise to the top, just as quickly as Laura Strathen, the new student had.

 The school's ranking could easily be described in close relation to the 27th club. Every year, a new student, out of the complete blue get's brought up to the top, treated like shit for a while, and then dropped quicker than a fly.

But the only reason this was so different was that Laura Strathen was turning her 5 seconds of fame into something that would last, regardless of if the A-listers dropped her. 

Usually, people never spoke to the A's toy of the year, for the sake of their own popularity, or lack thereof. But Laura was nice, and quiet, and knew when to talk and when to shut up. 

She was the perfect person and not only did that anger people, it made them almost immediately love her. But I could tell something was wrong, and I could tell Tao and her clique knew that too. I was waiting patiently for her downfall and they were waiting not so patiently for her to make even the slightest of mistakes. But the longer they waited, the more obvious they got. And the more obvious they got, the easier it was for someone as stupid as the gossip girls to pick up on the fact there was a noticeable change.

And today, not only was she grabbing the attention of the entire cafeteria, but specifically doing something no one with half a mind would do. Talking to the D-listers. The D-listers held a very selected group of people. People who rejected the A-listers in middle school when popularity wasn't a big of a problem, then that followed them into High school, the A-listers past toys, and the juveniles. 

When the A-listers were in sophomore year, they made a list of most likely people to commit the following crimes. Shoot up the school, kill a student, and kill a teacher. Those kids selected are now D-listers.

The point is, no one talks to those kids. Even in my position as a C-lister that everyone ignores, I know not to talk to them.

But Laura Strathen was leaving her trusty position in the middle of the A-listers table, and a table away from the B-listers gossip girls to walk across the cafeteria towards the D-listers.

The cafeteria was completely quiet, but the only voices were probably questioning what the hell she's doing. Her probably designer heels that she wears with socks, a fashion trend that she was starting to bring back in this school. Slowly but surely.