18 | The Game Of Life

Read a page a thousand times but absorb no material

. Read a page a thousand times but absorb no material .
Why do I only care about things that are material?
Desperately trying to find problems that aren't mine
. To keep this off my mind .

Flashback

April 12th, 2014, Friday

LAURA SUPPOSES THIS IS WHERE IT ALL STARTED. The lying, betrayal, lack of care for mostly anyone. It would be idiotic to say her mother was the reason behind it all, but Mrs. Strathen was certainly the person who kickstarted Laura's motives. You see, this was a very particular day. It was thundering unusually hard for an April afternoon, and poor 13-year-old Laura, her two friends, and her boyfriend of 2 weeks decided to meet up at a pizza place for dinner. It wasn't something Laura was used to, going out to eat with her friends, especially at age 13 when the main source of entertainment was Teen Nick, Wii, and girly sleepovers together.

But she didn't say anything, after all, she was going out to eat with her two best friends and the boy she'd crushed on since 5th grade. Who was she to complain? In fact, the idea seemed very formal, grownup, and exciting to her. After getting permission to use the house phone to call up her friends, Taylor and Kim, they agreed to meet at the pizza place at 6 PM. So she hurried upstairs, a smile erupting across her face, and piled into her closet. Digging around for her prettiest outfit, which at the time happened to be a redshirt that showed her shoulders, revealing, I know. And white denim jeans that certainly didn't match with her bright green converse. She assumed since it was storming her mother would make her wear a coat, so to seem cooler she took her blue rain jacket and tied it around her waist. 

The outfit didn't match the slightest, but in 2014, that was okay. She brushed her hair, 50 strokes on each side, and pushed it back with a red headband. Her mother bought her gold earrings for 13th birthday, and Laura wore them proudly as she strutted downstairs where her Mother and Father were conversating.

"Ready?" She asked, clutching her iPod in her hand. Mrs. Strathen scanned her outfit and pressed her lips into a stick-thin line. Shaking her head, she grabbed Laura by the hand and pulled her upstairs. "What's wrong?" Laura asked, not understanding why her mother seemed so...annoyed. Already.

"Sweetie, I know you are newly 13, that's a big deal," Her mother began, closing the bedroom door and entering Laura's closet. "So as an official teen, I expected you to care more about your appearance by now."

Laura tilted her head, glancing over to the full-length mirror. Her appearance seemed fine to her. "I don't understand what's wrong with me."

"How about I pick out an outfit for you instead, Laurene. To impress that...boy you like," Mrs. Strathen came out of the closet 2 minutes later holding blue denim jeans, a plain white t-shirt, and white boots. Handing them to Laura, she left without a word.