When Thorns Go Soft [2/2]

"You're a horrible liar, so let's try that again." He says. "Nothing, Drew." "Crying in a stairwell is not nothing," "what happened? Is it something that happened with your patient?" He adds. "Y-yes, I'm sorry that you have to see like this. I hate it when I cry, I look so ugly." I say, wiping away my tears.

"Well I personally think you look really beautiful when you cry." He comforts. "Yeah, I'm sure you say that to all the girls." I say as I sniffle. "No, only the beautiful ones." He says as he touches my cheek with his thumb. A soft smile is exchanged between us and I suddenly felt better about the situation.

"TC told Topher to declare my patient as brain dead and they used her heart to save TC's patient because they shared the same blood type."I start. "They left those girls as orphans and headed to foster care, and they don't even care." I add. "They care, they just know how to not mesh personal life and work life." Drew explains. "I can't do that with cases like this. I can do it for everything else, but like this." "Why?" I glance down at my hands and sigh deeply.

"Because my sister and I were those kids. My mother has the same injury that my patient had, but my doctor didn't know what to do, so we stayed by her side for four days until she died. A few days later, we were out into the foster system. The first home was the last that we were ever in. They were abusive, physically and mentally and I wasn't having it. So I grabbed my things and my sister and left," I explain.

"Oh my God, why didn't you say anything? We should have never let you anywhere near this case." "Because I wanted to prove to my mom, my sister and myself that I can do the impossible, you know? And instead, I failed them; I failed them all." "And where's your sister?" "Oh, she died a year after we went away from our foster parents. I-it was a hit-and-run, and s-she wanderer off while I was sleeping. I.. oh my God." I cover my face to prevent Drew from seeing me cry, "I'm so sorry, Y/N."

"I just don't want the same thing that happened to me, happen to them." I croak. He grabs the back of my neck and pulls me closer to him by the lower back. He rests his face on my shoulder and I do the same to his chest. He sways from side to side as he rubs my back softly. "We'll make sure that doesn't happen, okay? I promise." He reassures. I nod gently and lean further into his chest. "Thank you, Drew." I state as I pull awake from him a little.

"Anytime, princess- I'm sorry, I don't know why I said that. I don't normally say things like-" "No, I like it. Well, I like it coming from you anyway." "Well alright then , princess. Let's go check on the girls. Do they know yet?" He asks. I shake my head no and he adds, "Don't worry, you're not going through that alone." "Thank God,"

**

"I am so sorry. I was really sure that I could save your Mom, but I failed." The eldest girl inhales sharply and nods to me gently. The youngest sister buried her face in her sister's chest as she cried and suddenly I am back to when own as younger. "It's okay, I'll figure things out from here." The eldest girl says to me as she comforts her sister. "You don't have to make decisions like these on your own, you know. You can ask for help." I state. "I've been taking care of her since we were in diapers, how is this any different?"

"Because you are a nine year old girl put in a whole different world. A world where weight can be easily placed on your shoulders." "Well, what do you want me to do?" "What do you want to do? You should have some leeway on your future, I think." "On a scale of one to ten, how bad is foster care?" "Depends on what family you're blessed or cursed with." "How bad was your foster family?" "A ten,but there is no way that I am allowing you to have a 'ten' kind of family." "Yeah and I have some friends in high places that will make sure of it," Drew confirms.

"You two would make good parents." The eldest says. "You know what, we just might." Drew says. I glance over at him and he winks at me, making him and me smile. "Maybe."