I'm Sorry (A Night Shift Story) [1/2]

-Drew and Y/N break up-

Staring down at my enlistment contract, I recall all the events that happened for me t,o get here.

"I-I don't understand," I say, tears pricking my eyes. "The nature of our relationship is too intense. I realize that now. And I also realize that we are not the end goal. I saw our relationship as a fantasy and then that relationship became reality. But the truth is, you're not good for me." He states. I close my eyes and tears slowly fall down my cheeks. "It was fun and memorable end with you, Y/N/N, but-" "Y/N," I correct.

"What?" "It's Y/N to you now. It was Y/N/N, but not anymore. "I get what you're saying; you only saw me as temp for when Rick came back into your life." I add. "No, I say you more than just a temp, Y....N." "Sure you did," "Y/N," "I think we're done here. You can leave now," I interrupt. "I wanted us to end on good terms." He says, not moving from his place on the couch. "Well sorry to disappoint. It wouldn't be the first time."

"I really think you should go, Andrew. I'll have your stuff packed outside your house tomorrow morning." I say emotionlessly. "Okay," "Goodbye, Y/N." He walks over to me to give me a hug, but I stepped away from him.

"I'll start packing now," I say before walking into the bedroom door and closing it. I wait until the front door closes for me to slide down the bedroom door and hold my face in my hands. The one thing that I feared the most finally happened. I had someone that I loved and depended on leave me again. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I know that I cannot stay here.

I pick up my pen and sign wherever the person marked with an 'x'. I had already passed training within the top five percent of the trainees. All I have left to do is pack my things; and according to the contract, I spend two tours in Iraq. Which is definitely further enough from San Ontonio and him for my liking. Iraq, here I come.

** six months later **

"Y/N! We have to go to the drop sight and you're running point." First Lieutenant says. I jump up and reach for my rifle as I say. "The drop sight? Again, sir? May I ask why?" "The Bravo team found two American soldiers in an abandoned building. They're medics like you and one's injured. We have to extract them and bring them here until further notice." He says as we walk to the Humvee. "You mind if I bring Amara?" He chuckles lowly before saying, "Yes, sergeant, you can bring your mentoree," I glance over at the tent to see Amara staring at me with her arms crossed. I motion to the Humvee and she nods before disappearing back into the tent. She returns with her gun, bulletproof vest and her ACU jacket.

"Thought you were going to leave without me," she says as she approaches us. "Without you? Never, you're my right hand woman. " I say with a wink. "Alright Alpha Team, let's move out!" First Lieutenant says. Amara, First Lieutenant, the rest of the team and I walk onto the Humvee and started driving to the drop sight. Amara and I do our secret good luck handshake before heading out.

The surrounding areas of the abandoned building were radio silent, which is something that most people would talk as a good sign, but we know better than to think that way. "Keep your eyes, it's too chippy out." Amar says. I was almost as if she read my mind.

"Yeah, let's just extract the medic and get out of here." I say, backing Amara. The team follows my signal and move toward the house. I count to three before I kick the door down and scan the room with my gun at aim. I do a double take once I see the two medics huddled in a corner. When the uninjured medic stands from the ground, I know that his stature was all too familiar to me. He turns around his hands up in surrender.

His hazel brown eyes lock with my Y/E/C and his hands drop. "Y/N?" He's says with surprise. My heart pounds furiously in my chest and I froze in my spot. "Sergeant?" Amara asks. Words formulate in my mind but they never seemed to make its way to my mouth. Amara nudges me and I snap out of my shocked gaze.