Chapter 8

A couple days later Melody headed to TM to get her oil changed. She hadn't spoken to Jax since they almost kissed. Melody tapped her fingers against her steering wheel feeling anxious. She parked her SUV and headed towards the garage. Opie and Jax were working on a bike when Melody approached them.

"Hi guys" Melody said.

"It's Melody right?" Opie asked and Melody nodded.

"You bet, can I get my oil changed?" She asked and Opie nodded grabbing the keys from her. Jax put some tools down and turned to face her.

"We should talk" Jax said and Melody bit her lip nervously.

"Guess so" She said and Jax led her to the roof of the clubhouse. They sat down and both were quiet for awhile.

"I keep thinking what would've happened if Abel didn't interrupt" Jax finally said.

"Look, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't attracted to you, but it's too messy and you're with Tara now" Melody admitted looking at her hands.

"I know, but Tara's not the type to stick around" Jax said.

"You married my sister and even if it didn't work out, it's still messy and I couldn't do that to her, I think Tara is in it for the long run, like I said, she came back didn't she?" Jax nodded.

"We okay?" Jax asked and Melody smiled.

"You gave me a beautiful nephew and a family again, we're just fine" The two stood up and embraced, maybe for too long but neither noticed. Melody waited for Opie to finish her oil change and then headed to the office to pay.

"You better go on and put that wallet away" Gemma said not even looking up from her paperwork.

"I want to pay" Melody said looking for her credit card.

"Family doesn't make family pay sweetheart" Melody thanked Gemma and the guys then headed out to run errands. As Melody put away some groceries there was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" Melody said loudly placing some flowers from the florist in a vase.

"Agent June Stahl, ATF" Melody opened the door slightly and looked at the woman in front of her. "Melody Case right?" Stahl said holding her badge out. "Can I come in" She asked and Melody opened the door more stepping aside.

"What do you want?" Melody asked shutting the door behind her.

"Just wanted to chat about your involvement with SAMCRO" She said looking around. "Surprising for a veterinarian with her own practice" Stahl said gesturing to the apartment.

"I have a house in Sacramento" Melody snapped.

"So I've heard" Stahl now turned to face Melody and smiled smugly. "So, what do you know about SAMCRO"

"They wear leather and ride motorcycles, I'm not here for them, I'm here for my nephew and if I'm not under arrest which I know I'm not then I think we're done here" Melody gestured to the door.

"Well if anything else comes to mind, give me a call" Stahl handed her a card and opened the door. "You have a beautiful nephew by the way, would be a shame if he ended up in foster care" Melody slammed the door in her face and tossed the card in the garbage. Melody watched out the window to make sure Stahl left and then headed to the clubhouse. Her tires squealed at she pulled in barely putting her car in park as she jumped out.

"What the hell is ATF doing showing up at my apartment threatening Abel?" Melody said.

"She got you too?" Jax asked.

"What do you mean me too?" She asked.

"Stahl has been going around to all the women involved with SAMCRO trying to get them to snitch" He admitted.

"She threatened to have Abel put in foster care" Melody said.

"She was just trying to get to you Melody" Jax said.

"You didn't say anything to her, right?" Clay questioned.

"Of course not, I told her you guys wear leather and ride motorcycles and then I told her to get out"

"Well look, she's got nothing on you, she's just trying to spook you into giving her information" Jax explained.

"I'm not going to say anything, but if she comes around again I'm calling my lawyer" Melody said and everyone nodded.

"She'll be digging up anything she can on you, if there's anything we don't know, you gotta tell us" Clay said and Melody shook her head.

"Like my sister tells everyone, I'm a goody goody, there isn't anything in my past that she can use against me, I was pulled over once for a tail light being out and that is legitimately the only time I've been around law enforcement, you can have Juice check if you don't believe me" Melody admitted.

"She's telling the truth" Juice said.

"Of course you did a background check" Melody rolled her eyes.

"Can't just let anyone around us" Jax admitted and Melody nodded. "I'll walk you to your car" Jax said leading her to her car.

"Jax I know Wendy gave up her parental rights,  but I'd like some sort of legal right in Abel's life, I don't want him ending up in foster care" Melody said and Jax sighed.

"Don't let her get to you Mel"

"It's not that, she just made me realize if anything happens to you and Gemma, Abel doesn't have anyone else, I can get my lawyer to write something up, but I'd need you to agree to it"

"Of course I'll agree, you're right, he needs this" Jax admitted. They hugged and then Melody headed home once again.