Chapter 26

"Heard they're letting you out" Melody said once she walked in Gemma's room.

"Great" Gemma said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry, I know how hard this is" Melody said squeezing Gemma's shoulder.

"At least maybe by the time they let me out I'll have another grandbaby" Gemma said smirking. Melody's face dropped at Gemma's words. "What?" Melody sat down on the edge of the bed facing Gemma.

"Jax and I are done" Melody said.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Gemma said.

"He asks for my help, I give it to him and then he turns around and gets mad that I helped, I can't win Gem" Melody said and Gemma sat up to take Melody's hand.

"He blames himself for what happened to Abel, he can't handle the thought that something bad might happen to you too, he's lost and you have to be there, ride it out" Gemma said but Melody wasn't convinced.

"He's pushing me away and I can't handle it, I'm not as strong as you, I think it's time for me to pack up and head back to Sacramento" Melody admitted.

"If you wanna be a quitter then fine, but can you do me one last favor" Gemma asked and Melody nodded. Gemma explained that she wanted to go with the guys to Belfast, but she needed help sneaking away.

"I'll figure something out, just be ready to go along with whatever I come up with okay?" Melody said and Gemma agreed.

Later

Melody had finally decided to get her car from Jax's, mostly because she was sick of walking everywhere, but also because she would need it for later. She was relieved to see that Jax's bike was not in the driveway. Melody unlocked the front door and headed inside to pack up her stuff.

"You don't have to leave yet" Jax said coming into view. Melody ignored him, collecting her things and tossing them into her bags. "We're heading out tonight, I just came to pack a bag" Jax admitted and Melody nodded.

"So pack a bag" Melody said heading into the bathroom to grab her toiletries.

"Look, I'm sorry about everything that's happened over the past few weeks" Jax admitted and Melody shrugged zipping up her makeup bag.

"Your mother thinks this is about protecting me" Melody said heading back into the bedroom to grab her bags.

"I am protecting yo-"

"From what?" Melody said cutting him off.

"Donna, Abel, Sack, take your pick" Jax said.

"Oh enough already, I can take care of myself and I don't need you protecting me" Melody said swinging a bag over her shoulder and taking the other in her hand.

"Is that why you almost died when Cameron attacked you?" Jax asked and Melody knocked into his shoulder as she left. She climbed into her car and slammed the door shut. She noticed Jax standing on the front steps and she put the car in gear making sure to whip the car out of the driveway. Melody headed to her apartment and tossed her bags by the front door. She grabbed her lab coat and headed to Gemma's house. She packed Gemma a bag and stuffed a burner phone inside a pocket. She then headed to the hospital and put on her lab coat then grabbed the bag and swung it over her shoulder.

Once inside Melody kept her head down and walked into the doctor's locker room. There was one shower on and a pile of clothes on the bench by the showers. Melody grabbed the lab coat and removed the hospital keycard from it then headed back out into the hallway.

"Come in" Kate's voice called out and Melody then opened the door to her office.

"I need a favor" Melody said tossing a wad of cash on her desk.

"Jesus Christ, what now?" Kate groaned.

"I need you to induce a fever in Gemma Teller, enough to get her into an ice bath" Melody said and Kate shook her head.

"No way in hell" Kate said and Melody tossed another stack of cash onto her desk.

"Just get her to the room and I'll take over from there" Melody said and Kate pursed her lips.

"Fine" Kate said dumping the cash into a drawer of her desk.

"I'll be hiding out in the room, I just need you to show me where the room is, once you get her in the bath make sure all the nurses and the guard leaves, then I'll get Gemma out of there and you can run and tell the guard she attacked you" Melody said and Kate nodded.

"Alright let's do this" Kate said and she then led Melody to where they would take Gemma. Melody climbed into a cabinet and Kate helped her shut the door. Melody waited awhile before she could hear yelling in the hall. She could hear Kate asking the nurses to go and then asked the guard for some privacy. "It's clear" Kate said and Melody burst from the cabinet at the same time Gemma jumped up from the ice bath.

"Shit that's cold" Gemma said shaking. Melody handed her the bag she had packed and Gemma changed into some dry clothes. Melody then gave Gemma her lab coat.

"Give us a head start" Melody said and Kate nodded quickly explaining how to get to the parking garage. Melody grabbed the burner and dialed Jax's number.

"You calling Jax?" Gemma asked and Melody shook her head handing Gemma the phone as they headed out.

"No, you are" Melody said as Gemma took the phone from her. Melody swiped the keycard she had stolen to unlock the door. Gemma told Jax to meet her outside the service entrance and the women hustled down the hall. "Alright, this elevator should take us down to the service level"

"Not sure the Feds will believe I did this at gunpoint" Gemma said and Melody shrugged.

"There is no way they can connect Kate to anyone in the club, so they have no reason to believe she's lying" Melody pointed out.

"Do one thing for me, wait to leave Charming until you see Abel again, look into his eyes and if you still want to go, I'll help you pack" Gemma said and then a code rang over the speaker.

"Come on, we have to go" Melody swiped the card and the elevator opened. "My keys are in the pocket in case you need my car, I'm going to head in the opposite direction as soon as the elevator opens" Gemma pulled Melody into a hug and the door buzzed letting them know it reached the ground floor. "Take this card and burn it in Belfast" Melody said thrusting the keycard into Gemma's hand as the door's opened. Melody split off from Gemma and ran as fast as she could. If she got caught helping Gemma escape, she was going away for sure.