Chapter 1

JENNIE

It is strange how life sometimes changes everything. In a moment you can lose everything and at the same time gain the world. You don't expect things to fall down to your feet. You don't expect to be completely happy or completely sad and angry. Once I had it all..

My life was an easy life. The one that you see in those life style magazines and you wish you could be one of them. I was one of them. I used to be rich. I used to go to those parties that everyone knew who I was. Being wealthy and a child of Kim Myung Hwan, my family was well known. I grew up having the most wonderful family in the world. My dad and my mom were the best parents a kid could ask for. Even if my dad was a rock star he was always there for me and my sister. He didn't miss a birthday. As he always said his family was coming first.

When I was 18 years old and my sister Dahee is 16, our world crushed. It was Christmas when our house phone rang and I had to explain to my sister that our parents were not coming to celebrate with us. It was a week before that my mom flew to New York to see my dad and they would come back together so we could celebrate Christmas as a family.

I still remember the voice on the phone. 'Miss, your parents were on an accident. I am so sorry to tell you that none of them made it'. I couldn't say anything. How could I? I didn't know what to do. I didn't know who to call. I didn't have time to cry. And I think I didn't. Minutes after the phone call it was my dad's manager telling me that he would come to our house in 15 minutes. All I said was a simple yes.

Dahee wasn't home. She was at a friend's house for a sleep over. So I was home alone. Having questions of how and why. In 15 minutes indeed Joon was home. When I opened the door he hugged me and that was when I cried. I fell into his arms and I let myself cry. Joon told me what happened. My dad's private jet fell because of a snowing storm. It was winter time and that year we had strong snow blizzards. Joon was the last one who talked with my dad. He told me that he didn't want to wait.

The tower in the airport was saying that they shouldn't fly but my dad wanted to come home to his daughters. Their plane fell into a storm and they fell half an hour after they took off from JFK.

I remember looking at Joon but not understanding what he was saying. My mind was on Dahee. Now that our parents were dead we were all alone. We didn't have any grandparents. My mother had a sister but they didn't keep contact and my father was an only child. Instead of thinking my parents I was thinking my sister's and I's future. I was thinking that they would take my sister away because she was a minor but I realized that I was already 18 and I could be the legal guardian of her.

I was thinking that I was a freshman in college and I didn't work. How we would support each other? Everything was coming to me one by one and I didn't take my time to sit down and mourn for my parents. I had to be strong for Dahee. When I told her she was devastated. I held her in my arms all night trying to calm her. Trying to tell her that I was here and nothing would happen. In a day I grew up several years older.

After a week my dad's lawyer called me to tell me that we should go at his office to open his will. It was something that we had to do as much as we didn't like it. When Mr. Kang was reading my mind was on my parents.

He was reading and in his voice I could hear my dad's words. "I leave all my fortune to my two daughters Jennie and Dahee and to my wife Kim Min Ha." Since my mother was dead too it was only me and Dahee to manage my dad's money. And I didn't have to work to supply us. The money was enough for a life time.

But it is well known that life continues after a death. And our life sure did. Dahee graduated from high school and I was enjoying my life being at clubs every other night and socialize as every other girl of my age. I didn't do any of that while Dahee was at school. I wanted to be a role model for her. I didn't finish college because there was no need to but Dahee wanted to do something with her life. She managed to be a student of UCLA and I was proud of her. Our relationship was perfect. I was her older sister and she was my little one. I would give the world to her and she knew it.