Chapter 3

JENNIE

When you decide to change your life you don't know if it is going to be for the best or not. When I found that job at the bakery shop in Philadelphia I thought that my luck was turning around. That someone up there really loved us. And as I already said I didn't care for myself. If my Ella was ok I wouldn't have a problem if I ate a piece of pizza. I would be happy either way.

A year came so fast. I was still working at the bakery and I was happy. The money was better because they knew my situation and that I had a little child. But it's not that they were giving it for free. I was working hard to earn these money. I didn't want them to feel pity for us. I may had a hard life but I was still very proud.

Ella was a beautiful child. Every day I could see Dahee more and more in her. She never met her mom but I made sure she knew who she was and were she came from. She knew that her mommy died and now it was me and her but she couldn't stop calling me mommy. It felt so warm inside when I was hearing that. I was practically raising her and what is that they say 'a parent is not someone who gives birth but someone who raise a child'.

We were still staying at the same motel because the money that they were paying me were good but they weren't enough. I had to pay for Ella's kindergarden and of course the motel. So it was better than staying on the road. I was working from 7am till 3pm every day. Beside everything that was happening she seemed happy and that's what mattered the most for me. Maybe she was too young to understand but I could see her smiling and doing whatever a kid of her age would do.

Besides work and Ella, I didn't have a life. And I didn't care having one. My old self was nowhere to be found. My co-workers usually asked me if I had someone in my life and all I was saying back was 'yes. Ella'. They would roll their eyes and tell me that I needed a life because I was still young.

Our bakery was in the historical center of Philadelphia. A very good spot and a lot of people were coming every day to buy their morning muffin or whatever. Mostly business people with their suits and handbags. They seemed so uptied and anxious. Keeping their watch every minute. Some of them were regular clients. Some of them knew us by our names. And other just didn't seem to care. They didn't have the time.

Every day at 8am sharp there was a girl or I would say a woman buying three muffins. She was one of the uptied ones. Always checking her watch. From the outside you could see a very beautiful woman. Brunette, nice body but she looked cold. Not easy to talk to. She was always coming inside with her sunglasses, never taking them off. She wouldn't even say goodmorning. She was asking for her three muffins, she would pay and she would leave. Why she was the one making that special impression to me? I really don't know. Maybe it was her posture or something. And every day I would be the one who served her. Like today..

I saw her the moment she was outside the shop. She was wearing her grey Dolce & Cabana business suit. Her hair was in a ponytail and of course she was wearing her sunglasses. Sometimes I thought she was trying to hide something.

"Three.."

"I know. Your three muffins. Just a sec. We just got them out." I said without letting her finish. I couldn't figure out what she was thinking. If I could see her eyes I would be able to understand but the sunglasses were still on her face.

"7 dollars." usually she would pay me right away but today she wanted something else.

"Do you make orange juice?"

"Yes, we do."

"And one of that." her voice was so cold. From what I could see I would say she was a lawyer. Only lawyers are so cold.