21

Chapter Twenty One| Ava

I spin around and see Luciano with a worried look on his face. "We don't know what could be in that box." He walks up to me slowly and starts to inspect it. "Just don't touch it, sweet girl." He tells me calmly.

I flinch when I see him reach out for the box, he pulls a small knife from the side of his sock and gently cuts open the cello tape that runs along the top of the box. He's only opened it a little and I quickly cover my nose at the pungent smell. He opens the box fully and bile rises up my throat at the decapitated heads.

I instantly recognise who they are.

"Luciano?" I whisper, his back is towards me but his shoulders start to shake.

"Fuck!" He suddenly yells. I jump back in shock at his sudden outburst. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

"What's going on?" I turn around and see Kaden staring at us in confusion.

"I-I.....-"

"They're dead." Luciano whispers in defeat his back still toward us.

"Who?" Kaden walks over to us and glances over to have a look in the box. I watch his face pale, a shaky breath escapes his lips.

"Kaden." I whisper and he turns to look at me, his face is void of emotion. "I'm sorry." Is all I can say.

"We need to leave." Is the only thing he says before he's storming off. I turn back round to face Luciano, he continues to stare at the box. He stands up and then stares at me, I don't really know what to do so I walk over to him and give him a hug.

"You know, I never spent enough time with them, but I loved them with all my heart. It's things like this that make you wish you spent more time with the people that mean a lot because in this life.......anything can happen." He pulls away and gives me a gentle smile, the whites of his eyes are red.

"What's going to happen now?" I ask rubbing my arms, the house is starting to feel cold and the fact that there are two heads in a box makes me feel even colder.

"Well, sweet girl, things are going to change a little." I frown. "Clearly we are a target and we need to leave."

"What the fuck?!" Elena pushes past us and looks at the box in shock.

"I'm going to check on Kaden." I whisper and let Luciano comfort his sister.

I make my way up the stairs and walk into our bedroom. Kaden's sat on the edge of the bed, his elbows resting on his knees and his head in his hands. Lily and Aleksio are asleep in the middle of the bed; he must of brought them up after he found out. Poor Lily is oblivious to everything that's going on.

Oblivious to the fact that she no longer has grandparents.

"Baby." I kneel down in front of him and pulls his hands away from his face. He looks down at me with sad eyes.

"I've brought you into a life you don't deserve, I've brought Lily up in a life she doesn't deserve and my parents are dead." He whispers. "I promise Ava, I will do whatever I have to do, to protect you and our little girl."

Tears roll down my cheeks, I nod and smile. "Okay."

***

I stand in shock.

I didn't realise how powerful Kaden and his family are. I stand with Lily in my arms, she looks around with wide brown eyes. "Avey." She mumbles, clearly frightened about all the men walking around in expensive looking suits. They all nod at Kaden and Luciano in respect; some of them making the effort to greet them.

"It's okay, sweetie." I rub her back but she continues to get distressed. "Shhh."

The house is massive compared to the one we were previously in. Kaden explained on the way that we would be staying in the mafia house because it would be safer for Lily and I.

"I need to hold a meeting." Kaden explains to a boy-man. He can't be any older than twenty one. "Can you show my lady to her room, so she can put Lily to bed and then bring her back to the conference room." He nods and then quietly tells me to follow him.

I walk behind him and follow him up the black marble staircase. We then walk down a long corridor with lots of doors on either side, the guy then stops in front of double doors. "This is yours and boss' room." He says, avoiding eye contact with me.

"What's your name?" I ask, tilting my head.

"Ruben, ma'am." I smile at him and see him blush.

"I'm Ava."

"I know." He gives a small smile and then enters the room.

I walk Lily over to the massive bed and pull the duvet covers back. "Aleksio?" She tiredly whispers.

"He's sleeping, he's not far away, baby. You'll see him tomorrow morning, okay." I place her down onto the bed and stroke her hair. She nods with her eyes closed, I pull the covers over her.

"I love you." She mumbles.

"I love you too." I kiss her forehead and then turn around to see Ruben looking at me in admiration.

"R-Ready?" I nod and follow him back downstairs, he lead me into the conference room, there's around thirty men sat in this room. They all stand once I've entered the room, I look around with wide eyes.

"You're basically a Queen in our eyes." Ruben leans down to whisper.

I awkwardly nod and search for Kaden, I spot him at the top of the table. Luciano is sat on his right, Matvey, Ardian and Elena are stood behind them. There's is an empty chair on the other side of Kaden, I make my way over to them, avoiding the stares of all the dangerous looking men.

Kaden stands and pulls out the chair for me, before I sit down, he kisses me on the side of my head. "I love you." He mumbles against my skin.

"I love you too." I whisper and sit down. Everybody else sits down as well, I look to Luciano who gives a small wink, making me smile. I notice that there is another empty seat next to him. "Who's chair is that?" I look at Kaden with wide eyes.

The door is thrown open and my eyes widen at the attractive, dark-skinned man.

Wow.

He's extremely attractive, his muscles clearly straining against his navy blue suit. His buzz cut hair compliments his nicely shaped face and five o'clock shadow. I can see a diamond earring reflect against the light, making him even better. He walks with so much confidence, a smirk on his face.

"That's Elijah. My Consigliere." Kaden whispers in my ear.

I gulp.

Kaden stands up and pulls Elijah into a brotherly hug, Elijah then acknowledges the others and then his eyes land on me.

I gulp nervously again.

I stand up on shaky legs, intimidated by his presence. "You must be Ava." He lifts my hand and places a kiss on the back of it.

"Hi." I whisper and look at Kaden who is staring at our touching hands. I'm the first to pull away and look up at a smirking Elijah.

"So-," He rubs his hands together. "-I hear we've got a problem."

💛