28

Chapter Twenty Eight| Ava

Smoke fills my lungs, screams and shouts fill my ears. Tears escape my eyes.

I can't see anything, the smoke is too thick. It's clear a bomb has gone off. My ears are ringing but I can hear my name being called out, faintly.

"Ava!" I look around frantically and see Luciano looking at me, panicked. My eyes widen when I see Kaden leaning against his brothers side, his face etched in pain.

"Kaden!" I run up to them and grab his face in my hands. His eyes are droopy, I look and see a bullet embedded in his shoulder.

"We need to go Ava, keep your head down." Luciano orders and he grabs hold of my hand and leads us out. I flinch at the sound of gunshots.

Everything all just happened at once.

We make it outside and towards one of our cars. Luciano helps Kaden into the car and then makes a call. "Everyone out?" He questions and then waits for the answer from whoever is on the other end of the line.

"Let's go." He says and I walk around the other side of the car and climb in; Luciano gets in the front passenger side.

"K-Kaden?" I whimper and he looks at me, a small smile on his face.

"You okay, baby?" He breathes out.

"Are you going to die?" I panic and frown when Luciano begins to laugh.

"He's a big boy Ava, he's not going to die." Luciano reassures me, but that doesn't stop me from panicking.

"I'm okay baby." He chuckles lightly. "I'll be inside you in no time." I look at him with wide eyes.

How is he still making sexual jokes when he has a bullet in his shoulder?

"It's not funny, Kaden!" I slap his leg. "Is everyone okay, Luciano?" I look to the front and he turns to face me.

"Elena and Ardian got the kids out in time, before they could witness anything. Matvey's body has been retrieved." My heart drops at the mention of Matvey. "It's very obvious this is Raymond and Jamie's doing but don't worry Ava, I've got this handled." He gives me his best smile and then turns back to the front.

I can't help but feel like all this is my fault. It's my fault Matvey is dead. It's my fault that Kaden has been shot. I should have given myself up to Jamie.

"Stop thinking, baby. Before you decide you want to do something stupid." Kaden grits out, clearly in more pain.

I nod and look out the window.

***

"Mummy, daddy!" Lily beams but then frowns when she sees the state of Kaden. "What's wrong with d-daddy?" Her lips start to tremble.

"I've just got a little cut, baby girl. Daddy's okay." He gives a tight smile.

"Come on, Lily." Ardian picks her up but Lily continues to stare at her father in worry. "Aleksio wants to watch tv with you." She then looks at Ardian and smiles, nodding her head.

"Okay." She whispers and casts one last glance at Kaden before Ardian walks out with her.

"Who is going to look after Kaden?" I question Luciano.

"Me." I turn around and spot Elena. I nod and let her do what she has to do.

"Don't kill him." I say whilst walking up the stairs. I hear her laugh at my comment.

"I'll try not to!" I shake my head and laugh.

I make my way into our bedroom and take a quick shower. I can't stop the tears from falling as I think about what's happened tonight. How many people died tonight?

After about twenty minutes of trying to get myself together, I make my way down the stairs and see Kaden topless with a large bandage wrapped around his shoulder. "Hey, baby." He smiles.

"You're smiling, when you were practically shot a couple hours ago." I give him a blank look and he chuckles.

"Well, I'm still here." He rubs his hands together and winks at me. He then walks over to me and picks me up.

"Kaden!"

"I want you to ride me, baby girl." He smiles brightly.

"I put him on some crazy anaesthetic." Elena laughs and I look at her with wide eyes, as Kaden walks up the stairs with me.

Once we reach our bedroom, Kaden puts me on my feet, he pulls his joggers and pants down, then sits on the bed with his dick hard.

I can't help but laugh at how he is pouting at me. "Please Ava, I'm really hurt." I take my jogging bottoms and pants off and climb on top of his lap.  "That's it, baby." He smirks after I've rolled the condom on and sink down onto him.

I can't help but start to feel emotional. My eyes start to water and before I know it, I'm crying whilst sat on him.

Definitely just killed the mood.

"Why are you crying, Angel? Does it hurt?" Kaden frowns, grabbing my hips and stopping my movement.

"No, no. I'm fine." I smile, even though my eyes say otherwise.

"You sure?" He raises his eyebrows and I nod, grinding my hips.

***

Kaden

I wake up with a smile on my face, even with what happened last night. I know today, Luciano, Elijah and I will sort out what happened.

Raymond and Jamie will be in a casket by next week.

Just in time for Christmas with my beautiful family. I turn my head and frown when I don't see my woman.

She must be in the shower. I touch her side of the bed but my frown deepens when I feel it's cold. I sit up, groaning in pain and see that there is a note on her pillow.

What. The. Fuck?

I pick it up and my heart starts to race when I begin to read it.

Kaden.

Please don't be mad at me. I really think that this is for the best, I know you're probably going to be mad at me but I want you and Lily to be safe. I just want you to know that I love you and Lily so, so much. I'd happily risk my life, knowing that you two especially, would be safe. You've made me the happiest woman and I am so glad that I got to meet you and Lily.

I love you...more than you'll ever know.

Ava. X

"Stupid, stupid woman!" I shout. "Fuck!" I scrunch up the piece of paper and throw it at the wall. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

I jump out of bed, throwing a pair of joggers down and rush down the stairs.

And there she is, right by the door.

"Get your fucking ass back in the house now!" I growl out and she freezes, turning to look at me.

Thank fuck I woke up in time.

💛