Chapter 34

Athena's heart pounded as she waited for someone to tell her that they'll be fine.

She needs that assurance. She needs someone to tell her that they'll be fine. They have to be. They need to be fine.

The little girl hugged herself closer as tears pooled her eyes.

She watched as people move frantically, trying to stop the building from burning to ashes. Reporters of different channels began their jobs on the sidelines while others try to be discreet in videoing Athena.

She sniffled and looked down at the ground. She could still feel the heat of the building. How it felt and how it burned her skin.

But that was the thing.

They protected her. They protected her from the heat, from the chaos and now they're the one who got hurt.

A party

It was a party, so pleasant and so true.

A party that was meant for the little girl, who looked like a doll, to enjoy.

It was supposed to be a normal party. Some socializing, greetings here and there. It was supposed to be innocent.

Or so Athena thought.

For she saw the smoke. She saw fire. The raging hot fire spreading like countless of rumors from people who was dressed up in pretty dresses and fancy suits in the party.

No one knew where it came from but by the time everyone noticed, it was too late to run from the outside. The building was collapsing.

No one could run faster because their shouts and attempts to run towards the exit was useless.

It was already in chaos after all.

People would get buried under rubble. People would trip and get hurt because of  countless of people stepping on them. Despite their cries, no one would save the others because their own lives were more important.

Because that's how selfish people could get.

But her family tried.

Athena saw, with her own two eyes, that  they tried.

She could still remember how Owen passed her to Zen and Charles while helping a woman. The little girl could hear his shouts. Owen was soft, not loud and this Owen was very loud.

Xavier tried to smile but she could clearly see his distress and pain as he coughed, the smoke slowly making its way towards his lungs. Zen covered her with his coat, attempting to cover her as much as possible as they ran. Charles shushed her cries despite his tears falling. As they ran further, she could see her parents helping the others.

Her mother giving her sideway glance, her eyes filled with tears and warmth.

Her father was there, also filled with the same warmth as her mother.

They were trying to help the others.

Trying to save the others.

But she could still feel the fire.

The raging fire as her own cries fell on the shouts of many others.

Despite thinking that there was no exit, there was one and Zen threw her out of there before the exit collapsed along with so many people inside.

The last thing she saw was how he waved and smiled.

How he shouted:

'I'll see you later!'

Before he was no more.

"Athena?"

The said girl looked up.

She didn't notice that there were tears already falling.

Her aunt, Jane, the one that was rumored along with her father that they were having an affair, looked at her with a comforting smile.

She has mama's smile.

"Hey baby... " She whispered, kneeling down in front of her. Jane slowly reached out to wipe the little girl's tears in which Athena slowly leaned towards her aunt's warm and comforting hands.

After some tensed silence, the woman spoke. "So they called me."

"I know..." Athena tersely answered.

"You're refusing to be treated." Jane said, looking at Athena in the eyes. Her eyes didn't waver and Athena felt herself feeling uncomfortable under her aunt's stern gaze.

"I know... " Athena said slowly, her mouth was slowly and unconsciously forming a pout.

"Athena... " Jane sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "That's... That's not okay, baby. You're all banged up and you're refusing their help. You can't do that."

"I can." Athena huffed, upset at her aunt's tone. "I can, okay? It's fine. I'm fine. They treated me, see?"

Athena showed her aunt some bandages that clearly needed some more work to do but knowing Athena, she'll likely tell them to hurry.

"But it's not fine." Jane pushed and stressed. "You are not fine. This is not fine and you're smart enough to know that, Athena. No more lying or telling me that you're fine."

They glared at each other before Athena answered.

"I know." The little girl looked away with a sad frown.

Always the stubborn one.

"I'm just worried, okay?" Jane said, running her hand through her tousled brown hair.

"And I told you that I'm fine." Athena stressed.

"And I can be as stubborn as you are and tell you over and over again that all of this is the opposite of fine, kid." Jane said, looking deep into Athena's eyes.

The little girl only gave her a shaky sigh.

"A-Are they okay?" She asks, her eyes looked at her aunt's with so much hope that Jane wished that she wouldn't.

"They will be."

"What if they aren't?" Athena asked. "What if they... "

Jane shake her head. "They won't die."

Athena sniffled. "B-But—"

"No buts." Jane shushed, wiping her tears. "No nothing because they'll be fine..."

Athena shake her head and let out a sob as she looked at her her aunt. "I'm scared... "

"Shhh, I know, pumpkin." She said softly, leaning towards Athena. Jane softly grab Athena and carried her up in which the little girl immediately wrap her little arms around her neck.

"P'mise me... " Athena whispered.

"Promise you what?" Jane asked, a bit curious on what Athena will say.

"P'mise me that they'll be 'kay..." She whispered.

Jane knew better than to promise a child that her family will be fine but Athena was already in pain and she'll continue to refuse to go to the paramedics if she don't find any assurance at all.

But still, Jane still can't bring herself up to say that she'll promise.

"I hope that they are... " Jane whispered.

___________________________________________

Okay! So I don't know how fire and buildings work and other stuff. Besides, I haven't experienced it, I just wrote it because I thought that it could shake things up a bit ;)

Well, if I have some mistakes (like medical mistakes for example)  then I'm sorry.

But hey, I hope that you guys like it and I hope that you guys leave a vote!

Any violent reactions?

Tell me what you guys think!