Chapter 38

"Athena!" Jane called out, knocking on her bedroom door before opening it.

Athena looked up at her and put on a small smile.

She waved at her aunt happily. "Hi, Auntie Jane!"

Both of them were doing a bit fine since they were reassured that their loved ones are doing well. Not fine or completely out of the woods but at least their okay (And alive).

Jane chuckled softly at her cuteness. "You have a guest, baby."

Athena tilted her curiously. "A guest?"

Jane then look at someone behind her and opened the door a bit more to show the stranger.

Athena's eyes widened, her heart immediately dropped when she saw who it was.

"Theodore..."

Theodore, who've grown into a handsome kid, stood before her with a worried look plastered on his face. He was tense and when he's like that then that means that there would be a bit of an argument between them. He's always careful when he's around her. The only time that he got into a fight with her was when Athena was being too stubborn to admit that she was hurt.

And now they're doing it again.

"Eli..."  Theodore whispered, hesitantly stepping forward.

Jane smiled at them and slowly closed the door, leaving both of them inside.

"Why're you here?" Athena asked casually, leaving any possible weakness that could show in her expression. She jumped out of bed and walked towards him.

Theodore looks more confident than before. He's getting taller too. Athena resisted the urge to pout at that. He's been on a business trip with his family so she haven't seen him for a year, she only saw him at her birthday but that was it.

So seeing him in front of her, looking upset and slightly annoyed, was a surprise to her.

"Why am I here?" He exclaimed, crossing his arms. "Eleanore. What kind of question is that?"

Athena ignored how he slightly raised his voice. He never does that to her. He's always so soft spoken when he's with her. Always so nice and calm.

This Theodore was bold.

Athena didn't let him get to her though. She'll just be witty and act like everything was under control.

She shrugged. "A reasonable question, Theo?"

He wasn't amused. He just stared at her, waiting for something to pop out of her mouth. Maybe even waiting for her to cry and pour all of her emotions out.

She won't and he can't do anything about it.

"Eli... " He stressed, shaking his head.

"That's me." She kissed his cheek and smiled at him. "Good to see you again, Theo."

His expression softened and his arms fell on his sides.

Instead of scolding her for making his heart pound with ache for missing her for a year, he just smiled softly.

"How're you? I heard what happened."

Athena slightly frowned. "I'm fine, Theo."

Theodore gave her unamused look and grab her shoulders, not letting her escape from their conversation.

"I've known you since we're kids." He said as if that solves everything. She was about to open her mouth when he continued again. "And I know when you're fine and not. I don't want to fight with you, Eli... "