Chapter 35

'I'll see you later!'

That was the last thing she's ever heard from Zenny.

Athena could clearly still see their faces as the building started to collapse. Charles was trying to pull Zen away from the collapsing exit. His shouts rang around Athena as she stared with eyes wide at Zen. He was smiling at her despite seeing his fear run through his veins. He was crying and Charles was shouting at him to move away.

But both of them were scared and crying and Athena saw that.

She saw it.

She could still feel the heat from the fire, how hot it was on her skin. It was hard enough to breathe but maybe that's because she saw her family fading away as it all fell apart.

Fading.

Athena, the child that she was, asked herself about Zen's words. The word later.

I'll see you later!

When's this later, Zenny? Why aren't you back yet? It has almost been a week and a half and Aunt Jane haven't heard a thing about you, Charlie, Wenny, Xavi, mama and papa.

It's been hard without them but Athena was trying to be positive.

Aunt Jane's secretly crying though. Athena knows that her aunt's scared too.

Why are you guys still playing hide and seek with me?

It's not funny anymore.

Athena knew that they weren't playing a game though.

This was more than a game. This was serious and she should take it seriously but for once, just for once, she was letting the childish part of her take over.

But every night, when she goes to bed, she have come to miss the small things.

Like how Owen would tuck her in, putting her stuffed owl next to her before kissing her head. Zen's lullabies and stories. Xavier would always be the last one to leave and it always gave her some sort of security and when she wakes up? Charles would always be there. He would be there beside her, giving her soft kisses and loving hugs.

That's the little things.

And every night, she missed it.

Nobody knows how she'll cry at night and pray for them to be okay. She'll hope and hold on to her aunt's words that flutters nothing but hope. Nobody knows that she's bothered about the fact that there was no news about them. No news. How could there be no news about them?

Athena was scared.

And that was rare and that scared her even more.

Athena was scared because every time she sees the news on the TV about her father's company and about her rightful claim to be the next one to lead, she have thought about everything falling apart. But she's only ten, she shouldn't be thinking about these kinds of problems.

That's the main problem though, she has been thinking about it and it's haunting her ever since.

She's only ten and that was everyone's problem apparently.

She's only ten and everyone's eyes were already on her.

They would wait for her to come out of her home and her aunt was tired of pulling the strings to make them mind their own businesses.

Her aunt would always tell her that everything will be fine too.

It will be fine.

But will it really?

Athena, for the first time in her whole life, was hopeless, scared and speechless.

"It will be fine." Aunt Josephine said for the umpteenth time, looking at Athena with a small smile.

Athena smiled back at her, keeping her voice as cheery as possible. "I know."

"Athena... " Jane sighed, running a hand through her hair. "You can't just lie to me like this. You have to tell me things."

Athena was stopping her tears from filling up her eyes as she shook her head.

"Aunt Jane, I'm not lying. They will be okay. They have to be, right? You said that, right?"

Jane stared at her for a moment, her eyes were welling up with tears as her lower lip trembled. Athena saw the fear in her eyes as she look at the little girl. Athena doesn't want that fear on her.

They will be fine.

They have to be!

Athena couldn't help it though. She blames herself for everything. If they weren't saving her then maybe they would still be okay. She blames herself for it. Zen and Charlie was so scared. They were frightened.

And she didn't do anything to help them.

"Yeah... R-Right." She finally released, nodding. Athena noted the shakiness of her tone but she didn't say anything. "You're right. You're always right, Thena."

Athena frowned but she didn't say anything more. Her aunt needed the words that brings comfort so if the little girl have to lie to bring that then it's okay.

Mama said that giving people comfort was okay

Papa said that lying was bad.

Athena doesn't want to be a bad girl but she's being good by giving comfort, right?

She doesn't know.

She doesn't have anyone to ask anymore because they were not there beside her.

Athena just merely smiled at her aunt and went back to looking at Mr. Georgie.

Suddenly, Aunt Jane's phone rang.

At first, Athena ignored her aunt's conversation with the person on the other side of the line but her aunt have started to frantically shout for questions.

And it followed by:

"They found them!"

And Athena couldn't help but cry and fall apart for for the first time in a week and a half.

I'll see you later too then.

____________________

Hey guys, so I'm evil! I'll finish the chapter with that. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter's ending.

I hope you guys enjoyed it! Sorry if you think that Athena's acting too mature for this but you guys should probably know that she's not like the other kids  ;)

Christmas is almost coming! Yay!! 🎉
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way—!!!

Tell me what you guys think!

Do you think that they found them dead or alive? ⊙_⊙ ☞(。ŏ_ŏ)

Meh... I don't know :p *secretly laughing wickedly at the corner*

Don't forget to leave a vote!