Chapter 4

Jisoo woke up in the morning to blaring sunlight and the annoying, shrill ring of her cellphone. Thinking it was yet another lawyer or hospital personnel, she grabbed it and angrily punched the screen to accept the call.

"What?"

"How dare you fly across the country and not call me when you land?"

Jisoo smiled when she heard Lisa's voice. "I'm sorry, Lisa, I was exhausted."

"Oh, wow, I'm sure flying private is very exhausting. Where are they keeping you, a palace?"

Jisoo had stood up now, and walked over to the window to properly take a look at the estate. The sun was shining outside, and she could see miles and miles of pine forest and lush green grass. To her right, she noticed the lake glimmering in the sunlight, vast and a deep cerulean blue. She wanted to paint it all.

"Pretty much."

"You're joking."

"It's this...lodge thing. In the middle of the woods, but it's so fancy. I swear, she's probably going to be the prissiest bitch I'll ever meet, because these people are loaded."

"Send me pictures?"

"Of course."

"Oh, and make sure to steal something for me."

Jisoo chuckled. "Sure. Something small, though. I don't think there's anything cheap within the vicinity of this house."

"Except you."

"Shut up."

"Have you met her yet?"

"No." Jisoo said. "I just woke up."

"Ok, well, I gotta go to work but you get your ass to that hospital. Call me if she's hot. Or if she's a bitch. Oh fuck just call me, okay?"

Jisoo laughed and hung up the phone. Lisa's energy and endless joking was certainly making her feel better at the current moment. Even so, she couldn't deny that she was nervous.

How often do you get to meet your wife for the first time?

Jisoo rummaged through her bag and pulled out the most reasonable-looking clothes she could find. Even so, when she emerged from the room wearing black jeans and a t-shirt, she felt out of place in the fancy lodge.

She went downstairs and was struck by how open the spaces were. The entirety of the lower floor was one big open space, which was currently filled by flowing morning sun which appeared warm despite the fact that it was well into October. Somehow the space had seemed smaller in the dark of night, but now, she came to see that the lodge had just as much free space inside as it did outside.

"Good morning, Miss Kim."

Jisoo whirled around to find Mino standing before her. He was wearing a suit as he had been the night before, and his eyes appeared to bear no judgement whatsoever of her attire.

"I took the liberty of setting up breakfast on the patio, as the weather is absolutely marvelous today. It is relatively cold, though. Did you bring a jacket, or would you like to borrow some of the Miss's?"

Jisoo gaped at him for a bit and cursed herself for forgetting that it was significantly colder up here in Washington state. "Uh, I didn't bring a warm jacket...I'd be happy to borrow one, if that's okay."

The butler nodded and gestured towards the patio door with his hand. "It's right through there. I'll bring you a jacket."

Jisoo nodded a thanks and walked – no, wandered – over to the patio door and stepped outside.