Chapter 62

"Chaeyoung, seriously, you're not telling me everything."

Chaeyoung glanced at Lisa briefly before pointing at a sign. "Follow that."

"Where are we even going?"

"Long Island."

"I can tell that much, but where there-?"

"A motel."

"A motel?"

"Yes."

"And that's where Jennie is?"

Chaeyoung sighed. "She's either there, or she's dead."

"Ok, that's way too morbid. She's not dead."

"No, she's not. I'm sure of it."

"But what could've happened? Jisoo told me she and Jennie had a wonderful lunch, and by the looks of the hickeys on her heck, that sure was true..." Lisa began. "I don't get it."

"I don't either. But something happened, and we need to find her."

"I'm driving as fast as I can, Chaeyoung. Can you try calling her again?"

"If she's not answering Jisoo, I highly doubt she'll answer me."

Lisa turned a corner and Chaeyoung sighed again. "It's the third road on the left, turn there."

They drove through an apparently abandoned neighbourhood, situated right next to the highway on one side and the sea stretched out on another. It was shabby and colorless, and there was absolutely no one in sight. Lisa was surprised to find them suddenly before a motel, colorless as any other building around it, a hideous neon sign standing in the middle of the yard which read "The North Star Inn – rooms for rent"

"This is the place?" Lisa asked incredulously. "Why-?"

"It's where she comes when she needs space." Chaeyoung said quietly. "Park here."

"But why here?"

"Do you see anyone around?" Chaeyoung asked. When Lisa shook her head, she smirked and continued: "That's why. This is so far from everywhere, she can just come here and not worry about running into anyone."

"Then how do you know about it?"

"I might've brought her here the first time."

Lisa looked at her in confusion. "Wait, what?"

"I found this place first. It was quiet and away from everything, and cheap, and the liquor store around the corner never carded me, so...whenever Jennie was around and needed a breather, she'd go around and get all messed up. So one time I brought her here and she liked it more. There's no one here to recognize her and tattle to her parents."

"So..."

"She might be drunk, Lisa. I want you to know that."

"Okay."

"She's...she's been okay. She never really made it into a habit, thank god, but some instances..."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. But let's go."

They got out of the car and Chaeyoung stormed off to the reception, and emerged not a moment later with a room key and a relieved look on her face.

"She's here, thank god," she sighed to Lisa who was leaning against her car. "She came here around eight last night. The receptionist didn't know anything else. I covered her bill, but- we need to go. Or I need to go. Can you wait here?"

Lisa nodded. "Sure. Whatever you need."

Chaeyoung sighed, and took a few breaths before turning on her heel and hurrying off towards the stairs that led to the second floor of the rooms. The room she found with ease, and took a moment to just take a breath and prepare herself before she slid the key into the lock and opened the door.