Chapter 63

"Tell me. Please."

And Jennie did.

"I was going to come home," Jennie said quietly, "I was on my way. But Seungri, he- he was waiting for me outside the offices, and he told me about Nayeon –

"Nayeon?"

"She-she's in a long term care facility."

"What?"

"Jisoo, I'm so sorry that I lied, I lied when I said I had a lot of work, Seungri said that Nayeon was in a long-term care facility and I just had to know- I had to go, and I'm so sorry-"

Jisoo nodded. "I get it. I wish you hadn't lied, but...I get it. It's okay. Just tell me what happened."

Jennie drew in a shaky breath and shut her eyes. "She- I told you what my parents did, and how I never heard from her after...I didn't even know what happened, not until...Jisoo, she's in a coma. She- her dad committed suicide because of what happened, shot himself in the head and she found him, and then she tried to kill herself too a few years ago but didn't succeed, and now she's just in a coma and my parents are paying for her treatment because- I don't even know why, but it can't be out of the good of their hearts, they haven't got any good in their hearts, but- god, Jisoo, she tried to kill herself because of me-"

"No, not you. Jennie, you're not-" Jisoo's voice broke and she brought up a hand to cup Jennie's cheek, and swallowed hard before speaking again. "Jennie, you didn't do anything to her."

"It's because of me that my parents-"

"Your parents did what they did because they're the worst scum of the earth. You didn't have any part in it, other than being another victim."

Jennie blinked back tears and sighed heavily. "She looked so fragile, and small – I recognized her, even though it's been years, and she just...god, Jisoo, it hurt."

"Of course it did. You...you-"

"Loved her." Jennie finished for her. "Loved. Not love. I used to, but not anymore. I need you to know that."

"I do."

"And then...I saw her, and I just- the next thing I thought of was you in that same position, you hurt, you trying to-"

"I'd never do that."

"You don't know that."

"Look at me, Jennie." Jisoo asked. "Please."

Jennie opened her eyes slowly, and Jisoo offered her a gentle smile before speaking. "I'll say this once, and I want you to believe me, okay?"

Jennie nodded.

"I'm not going to break at the hands of your parents. I won't go out and try to kill myself. I won't end up in a coma."

"But-"

Jisoo shook her head. "No buts. You're imagining things. What happened with Nayeon won't repeat. And your parents, they're not going to-"

"They might."

"What?"

"I lied, Jisoo. About not being worried, about the case- I'm so worried, it seems even worse than I let on, in all likelihood they will succeed at taking it all back and they won't stop there, they'll take all of what we have and even more, and I just- I'm so sorry-"

The last words were merely a whimper, and Jisoo pulled Jennie close, allowing her to bury her face into her neck and sob quietly.

"It'll be fine," Jisoo mumbled. "We'll be fine."