Chapter 7

Jisoo returned to the lodge early in the morning after Jennie had insisted she go get some rest. She hadn't wanted to go – she hadn't wanted to leave Jennie all alone in a hospital full of strangers – but Jennie had been adamant she get some actual sleep and Jisoo had finally obliged.

Even though she had only slept a few hours that night, she found she was not tired at all. Jennie had spent most of her time sleeping, and Jisoo had been drawing again, taking short naps every few hours but not actually fully sleeping at all. Her sketchbook was now filled to the brim with sketches of Jennie. She couldn't help herself. Jennie was just so beautiful and unique that Jisoo felt like she had to document every detail about her, every little quirk and freckle, every inch of her entire existence - it would have been a disgrace if she didn't. In a sense, she was trying to document everything about Jennie because she somehow felt like she had limited time with her; after all, they were getting a divorce.

She had to constantly remind herself that this was a woman who she could not get attached to. She had known Jennie for barely any time at all. They were getting a divorce. They would get a divorce, and they would never see each other ever again. That was how this was going to go. That was how Jisoo had decided this would go when she'd gotten on the plane to Polis.

But things had changed. Jennie hadn't been the prissy rich bitch she had imagined, Jennie hadn't been the hideous straight girl she'd expected, and Jisoo was finding herself thoroughly enjoying her company. She liked Jennie, that much she could see, and she certainly wasn't going to just leave her now that she'd learned the truth about her parents. She couldn't quite fathom the burning rage that had grown within her when she'd heard about Jennie's abuse, or the almost incessant need she now felt to protect the brunette. She wanted Jennie to be okay. She wanted Jennie to be happy.

She wanted Jennie to be happy with her.

Jisoo shook her head and sighed. That wasn't going to happen. No one could be happy with her, that much had become clear from all of her numerous gloriously failed relationships. She wasn't the marrying type. She wasn't a girl who could make someone happy.

Jisoo took her sketchbook and watercolors and headed outside into the sunny autumn morning with an intent to paint. The nature right outside was just so beautiful that she had to, and there was way too much on her mind for her to be cooped up inside with nothing to do.

She had to do something to get her mind off of the brunette whose face occupied far too many pages from the sketchbook in her hand.

She found a bench placed along the eastern side of the lodge, which was basking in the sunlight and faced the lake so perfectly it was as though it was made for her to sit on and paint. The lake was as still as a mirror, and the pale autumn sun glinted off of it in the most heavenly of ways; there was no wind, not a cloud in the sky, and Jisoo couldn't believe that this was a real place and that she was actually there. It all felt somehow surreal and dream-like, as though she were to wake up any second to her alarm to find herself back in New York with Jinyoung still sleeping on his side of the bed with his back to her. But this wasn't a dream, nor was it a nightmare – this was reality and for the first time in a long time, Jisoo found herself content in the present moment.

About half an hour into her painting, her phone buzzed next to her on the bench.

Lisa (06:41)

Where r my pics???

Jisoo (06:42)

Hold on.

Jisoo (06:54)

16 attachements

Go crazy.