Chapter 6

"Jennie?"

Jennie snapped out of her thoughts and back into reality. She jumped slightly when she saw Jisoo's face close to her own – not very close, but closer than she'd been a moment ago – and she shuffled a little ways' away from her.

"Yes?"

"I asked you a question."

"Sorry, I wasn't listening."

"Do you want the surgery?"

Jennie stared blankly at Jisoo. "Are you letting me choose?"

"Yes. I figured I should at least let you have a say in this. Since, you know, it's your body."

"Are there risks?"

"Minimal ones."

Jennie nodded. "I'll have the surgery."

"Alright. I'll go tell the doctor."

Jennie watched Jisoo walk away. She could not believe she was married, let alone the fact that she was married to a woman.

She couldn't even begin to wrap her mind around the fact that she was married to this Jisoo Kim.

It did not help that she was a literal angel on earth. She knew she had to stop feeling whatever she was feeling. Her parents would find out, and all hell would break loose. Jennie knew she could handle whatever they threw at her. She had to. It was her life.

But she did not want this beautiful angel to be dragged into the hell that was her life.

No, she would rather die than allow that to happen.

*****

Jisoo had decided to wait until Jennie's surgery was done. She wasn't so sure why. She felt sorry for the brunette, recognized some degree of similarity between the two and knew that she'd want to have someone there if she were in the same position. Jisoo knew she would have rather had a stranger there than be alone, and figured Jennie would want the same.

Not to mention she was legally responsible for the woman. The fact that she had been given the task of deciding what was right for Jennie's treatment baffled her to say the least – who was she to say what was right and what was wrong? She was not a doctor, nor did she really know Jennie. She felt like a fish out of water, except instead of being on land it was more like someone had chucked her out into outer space with no clue of what to do with herself or others.

She sat in the empty hospital room, curled up in her seat, and drew. She drew because she felt like she had to – her mind felt as though it would explode if she did not occupy it with something. Too much had happened in the past 48 hours for her to not be messed up.

She drew whatever she saw, whatever was on her mind – the room, the window and the scenery beyond, what she could remember of the lodge – anything could do. She drew her apartment back in New York, she drew Lisa and her apartment, she drew her favorite restaurants and favorite places. She just drew, because that was what she really loved to do.

When she'd run out of anything else to draw, she found herself drawing the woman whose life had so unexpectedly intertwined with hers.

She drew the picture to such detail she surprised herself. She hadn't even realized she was imprinting the brunette's face and features into her memory, but it was now obvious that she had. Jisoo may have been an excellent artist, but even she couldn't draw hyper-realistic drawings of peoples out of memory unless she had really studied them.

It's just because she's beautiful, Jisoo told herself, her features are just nice and symmetrical and perfect for drawing.

But she knew that to some extent that wasn't true. Jennie Kwon was definitely attractive, that much Jisoo could admit – the fact that Jisoo had found herself rethinking the divorce idea told her that it was a matter of more concern than just looks.