Chapter 37

Jennie awoke in the morning with crust in her eyes and butterfly kisses being littered all along her chest and neck. Jisoo was on top of her, the weight pressing down just perfectly and making Jennie feel whole, and the dread of the night before was all but gone.

"Morning," Jisoo murmured as she moved upwards to kiss her lips, "I love you."

Jennie was overwhelmed, and that was precisely Jisoo's intent. With gentle caresses and soft kisses, she brought Jennie into reality, and the smile on Jennie's face was more than worth it all.

"I love you too," Jennie mumbled. She brought up a hand and rubbed at her eyes. "I'm sorry about last night, I-"

But she was cut off with a kiss.

"Don't apologize for something you can't control. Did you sleep well the second time?"

Jennie sighed happily. "Yes, I did. Thank you."

"That's good."

Lips met lips, and for a moment, they were both silent, preoccupied by the other. But then Jennie let out a whimper, and Jisoo withdrew immediately, eyes wide and full of concern.

"Did I do something?"

Jennie tried to kiss her again, but Jisoo pulled away, not letting herself get distracted.

"Jennie."

Another whimper escaped Jennie's lips and she pulled Jisoo's head down, her lips engulfing Jisoo's own hungrily and desperately, her hands clinging to Jisoo's neck and waist as though she felt like she was slipping away.

The last time Jisoo had felt hunger like that from Jennie had been Vegas.

She pulled away for the briefest moment, long enough to voice her question – "Are you okay?" – but Jennie pulled her in again, her kisses now rough and demanding. Jisoo would have gladly given in, happily let Jennie do what she wanted – but she was worried, and Jennie was clearly not alright. And so she pushed Jennie away and gave her a little shake of her head, and Jennie settled back down, disappointment and confusion evident in her eyes.

"Jennie, you're clearly not okay."

Jennie pouted. "I just want to forget."

"That's not a solution."

"I don't want to think about it."

Jisoo took a deep breath. "I think you have to."

"But it hurts."

Jisoo cupped Jennie's face with one hand, and Jennie leaned into her touch. "I know it does, but that's the way you can heal." She leaned her forehead against her wife's, and for a moment, they just remained silent.

"But I'm just so done with it all. I was fine. I am fine. But the dreams..."

"The dreams came back because you're confronting your past. I promise you, Jennie, the trial next week will finish it. Then you'll have all the time you need to heal."

"But what if I don't?"

Jisoo kissed the tip of her nose and smiled. "I thought I'd never stop hurting after dad died. It took me years to be able to even say 'dad' again. And it still sometimes hurts. But I'm fine now. I know it's not the same, but it's similar. And I didn't have faith back then. But I have faith that one day you'll wake up and you won't have any other worries other than what you'll have for breakfast that day."

A single tear slipped from the corner of Jennie's eye, and Jisoo brushed it away with her thumb. "It's okay. You'll be okay."

"I'm afraid, Jisoo. What if we lose?"