Chapter 23

They were all too pleased to leave behind Carson City and Nevada altogether. With only two days left on Lisa's clock before she was due back for work (she had managed to negotiate with her boss to the very limit of his patience) and the group's general exhaustion in living in motel rooms and driving day to day, they found themselves speeding their way back to New York.

It was two weeks until Christmas. Although they initially remained in the more southern states per Chaeyoung's request, they did take a quick detour to Michigan to visit Lisa's aunt and see the snow.

Chaeyoung hated the snow, but everyone else loved it. And so they'd spent hours throwing snowballs at one another until everyone's asses were wet and sore and cold, and then they'd climbed into the car and driven off in search of somewhere warm and cozy.

Two days later they arrived in New York. Chaeyoung had been dropped off first at her studio apartment in Brooklyn; Lisa had secretly written down the address for future reference, but Jisoo had of course noticed and decided to be a good friend and not mention it.

"So, where's this palace of yours?"

Jennie rolled her eyes. "A loft, Lisa. Take the next right."

"It's in Manhattan, Jennie. You own it completely. It's a fuckin' palace. Man, I wish I had a loft in Manhattan."

Jisoo laughed gently and threw a glance to the backseat where Jennie sat alone. "You want to tell Lisa, or should I?"

Lisa looked at her quickly, surprise evident in her eyes. "Tell me what?"

"You go, Jisoo."

"Jisoo, what?"

Jisoo couldn't hold the laughter; Lisa looked so shocked, so confused, and it was all too hilarious to her for some reason. Perhaps it was the fact that she'd slept the night before in the backseat, or the fact that she was absolutely starving; nevertheless, it took her a good few minutes before she regained her ability to speak.

"You can move in, if you want."

"Move in? With you? To the palace?"

"Well, more like the stables of the palace. But yes. You won't have to deal with Fat George or that gross neighbor anymore."

"Don't forget my landlord's constant suggestions that my rent be paid 'by alternative means'." Lisa added, shuddering slightly at the thought. "Are you serious?"

"The loft complex has a separate studio apartment with it's own door and key and everything. You're welcome to take it, if you want." Jennie told her. "I figured since you're Jisoo's friend, I-"

"I don't need a speech, I'm taking it." Lisa decided. "Except wait. How much is the rent?"

"Rent?"

"I'm not mooching off of you. Tell me a price and I'll either cry about it or pay up."

A reasonable price was soon agreed upon, and so, when they came to the towering apartment building overlooking Manhattan and Central Park, all three were looking at their new home.

"Holy shit, Jennie, you didn't tell me it was this big." Jisoo gasped as she stepped out of the car. They all got out on the sidewalk when a valet came over and took the car down to the underground parking space. Lisa was naturally in awe of the whole setup; she had never even imagined she'd be personally attended to by valets and doormen, let alone that she'd end up living in a loft apartment overlooking Manhattan.

In all honesty, neither had Jisoo. Of course, when she'd been moving to New York, she had kept the dream of some day living in a fancy, expensive apartment, but that had only been a dream. But when she walked into the building's lobby side by side with her wife, she felt like reality had become her dream, and was all too pleased to find she was able to function normally.