|6|

"Cmon Ellie please!" "I don't know Mal". "Please Ellie it will be fun I promise!". "I'll think about. Look I have to go now but I'll call you later". "Fine see you later Ellie".

"What was that about?". I jump in shock and turned around to see Daan standing at my door, "Jesus Daan a bit of warning next time, you nearly gave me a heart attack". She chuckled, "Sorry but who was that calling you?". I shrug, "It was Mal. She was wondering if I could visit her and spend new year's with her". "Well why not spend New Year's with her. You deserve a break and you'll have to travel there for camp anyway" Daan says. "Trying to get rid of me?" I tease. Daan just brakes out laughing, "No not at all. You know I would never want to get rid of you. It's just since you do home school and you spend all your time with the team training and everything, you don't really get to hang out with people your own age. Maybe it will be good to go spend new year's with Mal". "Yeah maybe. And then I could maybe go see Tobin or the others before camp" I contemplate. "Yeah that's a great idea! Ellie ever since you joined Arsenal 2 years ago it's like you've been on the constant grind and practice, it's time you should take a small break for yourself, you've earned it" Daan says. I nod maybe she's right. Maybe it's time to take a small vacation.

.............

I was just after landing in Colorado. Now after deciding to come spend New year's with Mal, but then I found out she had a match today, so I decided to surprise her. She doesn't know I'm coming so I'm was going to surprise her at the match. So I hail a cab to the town and go to find somewhere to eat first seeing as I have time to kill before the match. I find a small café and get something small to eat. And once I'm finished I look up directions for the pitch and walk there. A few people stop me and ask for pictures which I stop and do and asked me what I'm doing here and I just say I'm visiting a friend.

When I get to the pitch I can already see both of the teams warming up. I spot Mal taking shots on the goalkeeper preparing for the match. She seems fully focused on the game ahead. And once the game starts, Mal stands out easily. It's like she's everywhere. She's getting the ball, making runs, just being an absolute nightmare for the other team's defence. At half time I look around the pitch at all the supporters. It's a big enough turn out for a club match, but I smile at all the people I see. Soccer must be a huge sport in America. Mal helps her team win easily barely letting the other team near their goals. I stand off to the side for a bit while people come up to Mal patting her on the back for a good game. One the field clears out a bit, I grab my bags and start making my way towards the forward, "Oh my god! Is that Mallory Pugh?! The new face of the women's national team!" I pretend to fangirl.

Mal whips around confused, but when she sees me her face brakes out in a grin, "Ellie!".  Mal sprints towards me. I drop my bags as she launches herself at me and I catch her in a hug. "I can't believe your here!" She drops from my arms and slaps my arm, "why didn't you tell me you were coming!". I chuckle, "Then it wouldn't be a surprise would it?". Mal is bouncing up and down bubbling with energy, "Ahhhh this is going to be great. We'll get to celebrate New year's together and then we head off for camp". I chuckle at the energetic girl in front of me rambling about what we're going to do while I'm here. Mal leads me over to her parents and introduces me, "Mom, Dad this is Elliot Griffin. Ellie these are my amazing parents". I shake hands with them both, "It's great to meet you both". Her mom smiles at me, "Well it's great to meet the person who helped Mal out at camp". I tilt my head at her confused, "what do you mean?". Her dad laughs, "Well we heard all from Mal how she's probably wouldn't have been able to get through camp without you. All she can talk about is her new best friend from camp". Mal blushes, "Guysss". I laugh as I throw and arm around Mal's shoulders, "Awwwww my Mal Pal talks about me, I'm touched". She shoves me off her before we both start laughing.